The Student Room Group

Boots piercings and hair colour

Hi I’ve applied at boots and I have blue hair and a septum piercing and I was wondering if that’s ok or will they tell me to change my hair because I really don’t want to because I’ve spent a lot on it lol thanks
Reply 1
Hi Beth,

My reply is designed to help you and not insult in any way,

Not sure what Boots recruitment policy is and/or how flexible they are BUT I'm assuming this is a forward facing role. Whilst they wont actively discriminate they could select a candidate over you that they perceive to be more approachable / more professional in their presentation.

You won't like my answer but I wouldn't personally employ you with Blue hair and a ring through your nose and would consider you to look a mess and not the image i want to represent my brand in a public forward facing role, Sorry. I would select ANY candidate that turned up for the interview that was more presentable, over you.

That being said, depending on who interviews you and as i say Boots internal policy, if they are more flexible these days you might get away with the blue hair, maybe but, i would 100% recommend you remove the nose piercing.

Boots are sure to have a uniform/ dress code policy. My view is that Boots is a fairly corporate brand so they will likely have a certain perception/ guidelines of how their staff should present. I don't recall ever seeing someone serve me in Boots that had blue hair or a nose jewellery?

The only thing i could find on the internet was this:-
https://uk.indeed.com/cmp/Boots-Uk/faq/i-was-just-wondering-what-the-policy-is-on-coloured-hair-at-my-interview-i-was-told-that-if-i-have-been-successful-i-will-be-sent-through-the-uniform?quid=1dgq4d4oe9r5u800

Not sure how much you want this job, but if you really want it, my advice would be to go to the interview looking as smart as you can be, ditch both the nose piercing and the blue hair. You could always die your hair back to blue later once you get the job IF its permitted in the uniform policy.

Good luck
Original post by Beth1231
Hi I’ve applied at boots and I have blue hair and a septum piercing and I was wondering if that’s ok or will they tell me to change my hair because I really don’t want to because I’ve spent a lot on it lol thanks

Hi Beth X

I work in boots and there are quite a few members of staff who works in my store who has there hair dyed from one colour to multi colour and also have piercings in nose 🐽. So you will be absolutely fine with those things. I work in a big branch.

If you are successfully with your online application and Pass the online ads you'll be invited to the store for a interview with the manager.
What you'll probably find is that boots that individual store manager decides if staff members can wear certain things and there hair dyed.

I can suggest you pop along to the store you have applied for and have look around and see what the staff members look like - whether there are any wearing piercings or there hair dyed and then you'll know exactly how they are like.

Best of luck with the job application 😃😃
Reply 3
Original post by Littleemma98
Hi Beth X

I work in boots and there are quite a few members of staff who works in my store who has there hair dyed from one colour to multi colour and also have piercings in nose 🐽. So you will be absolutely fine with those things. I work in a big branch.

If you are successfully with your online application and Pass the online ads you'll be invited to the store for a interview with the manager.
What you'll probably find is that boots that individual store manager decides if staff members can wear certain things and there hair dyed.

I can suggest you pop along to the store you have applied for and have look around and see what the staff members look like - whether there are any wearing piercings or there hair dyed and then you'll know exactly how they are like.

Best of luck with the job application 😃😃

Thanks so much I have an interview next Friday and I’m just a bit worried because I’ve never had a job or done an interview or anything lol but thank you very much :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LsDad
Hi Beth,

Not sure what Boots recruitment policy is and/or how flexible they are BUT I'm assuming this is a forward facing role. Whilst they wont actively discriminate they could select a candidate over you that they perceive to be more approachable / more professional in their presentation.

You won't like my answer but I wouldn't personally employ you with Blue hair and a ring through your nose and would consider you to look a mess and not the image i want to represent my brand in a public forward facing role, Sorry. I would select ANY candidate that turned up for the interview that was more presentable, over you.

That being said, depending on who interviews you and as i say Boots internal policy, if they are more flexible these days you might get away with the blue hair, maybe but, i would 100% recommend you remove the nose piercing.

Boots are sure to have a uniform/ dress code policy. My view is that Boots is a fairly corporate brand so they will likely have a certain perception/ guidelines of how their staff should present. I don't recall ever seeing someone serve me in Boots that had blue hair or a nose jewellery?

https://uk.indeed.com/cmp/Boots-Uk/faq/i-was-just-wondering-what-the-policy-is-on-coloured-hair-at-my-interview-i-was-told-that-if-i-have-been-successful-i-will-be-sent-through-the-uniform?quid=1dgq4d4oe9r5u800

Not sure how much you want this job, but if you really want it, my advice would be to go to the interview looking as smart as you can be, ditch both the nose piercing and the blue hair. You could always die your hair back to blue later once you get the job IF its permitted in the uniform policy.

Good luck

Even if you didn’t mean to be insulting it’s still pretty rude especially the way you said you would choose ‘ANY candidate that turned up for the interview that was more presentable, over you’ bit harsh to say to a 17 year old who has never had a job before and is worried about an interview…
Thanks so much I have an interview next Friday and I’m just a bit worried because I’ve never had a job or done an interview or anything lol but thank you very much :smile:

You are so welcome xx
You'll be fine at the interview as just do your best you can do.
When you arrive at the store just ask a member of staff to let the manager know that you are there for a interview and arrive abit early.
The interview is sometimes split up with a question session and then hopefully a opportunity to do something on the shop floor - just some basic tasks like you may have to ask a customer if you can help them with something but don't worry about not knowing anything about the product as they are only looking for your customer communication skills etc, and then you may have to look for a few items which you'll be asked to demonstrate what they are used for.... ( This depends on the time manager has) and then you'll go back for some more questions and you'll be given a opportunity to ask them anything as well.....

Good luck next Friday and let me know how you get on and if you are successful.

Also keep applying for other jobs with boots but don't apply for too many at once 😞😞😞
Reply 6
You are so welcome xx
You'll be fine at the interview as just do your best you can do.
When you arrive at the store just ask a member of staff to let the manager know that you are there for a interview and arrive abit early.
The interview is sometimes split up with a question session and then hopefully a opportunity to do something on the shop floor - just some basic tasks like you may have to ask a customer if you can help them with something but don't worry about not knowing anything about the product as they are only looking for your customer communication skills etc, and then you may have to look for a few items which you'll be asked to demonstrate what they are used for.... ( This depends on the time manager has) and then you'll go back for some more questions and you'll be given a opportunity to ask them anything as well.....

Good luck next Friday and let me know how you get on and if you are successful.

Also keep applying for other jobs with boots but don't apply for too many at once 😞😞😞

Thank you I will I’ve applied for WHSmith too a week ago but I’ve heard absolutely nothing where as boots got back to me the next day with an interview lol and is it just me or was the other guy a bit rude idk if I’m just taking it that way
Thank you I will I’ve applied for WHSmith too a week ago but I’ve heard absolutely nothing where as boots got back to me the next day with an interview lol and is it just me or was the other guy a bit rude idk if I’m just taking it that way

Hi Beth ☺️

You are most welcome 🤗

Sometimes you'll find employer's take ages to reply back to people for any potential interviews or they don't bother notifying you if you are unsuccessful which could be with WHSmith.

It sounds like boots are wanting to get people interview and hopefully started soon as possible with you getting a call as quickly as you did.

I'm not going to get into a personal argument with others on what they said but if you feel that the person was rude to you then that's your own personal decision. You unfortunately get those kind of comments.

I did try to attach a picture of someone who works for boots ( yes she was wearing her boots uniform) with a nose piercing and other piercing in and around her mouth but wouldn't let me do it. I managed to hopefully to attach the picture of boots staff wearing piercing okay

Below is a picture of someone else who works in boots as part of there job seekers things who has a nose piercing......
You can always PM message me if you want to okay.

In the meantime good luck again for Friday.

IMG_20230512_203750279_083910.jpg
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Hi Beth ☺️

You are most welcome 🤗

Sometimes you'll find employer's take ages to reply back to people for any potential interviews or they don't bother notifying you if you are unsuccessful which could be with WHSmith.

It sounds like boots are wanting to get people interview and hopefully started soon as possible with you getting a call as quickly as you did.

I'm not going to get into a personal argument with others on what they said but if you feel that the person was rude to you then that's your own personal decision. You unfortunately get those kind of comments.

I did try to attach a picture of someone who works for boots ( yes she was wearing her boots uniform) with a nose piercing and other piercing in and around her mouth but wouldn't let me do it. I managed to hopefully to attach the picture of boots staff wearing piercing okay

Below is a picture of someone else who works in boots as part of there job seekers things who has a nose piercing......
You can always PM message me if you want to okay.

In the meantime good luck again for Friday.

IMG_20230512_203750279_083910.jpg

Thanks again I think I’m going to flip it up for the interview and then at the end ask them about there piercing/tattoo policy’s (I want to get more piercings and I want to get tattoos in the future) even if I have to keep the piercing hidden that’s fine now let’s just hope there ok with the hair lol
Reply 9
Hi Beth,

My absolute sincere apologies if you thought my post rude and unhelpful and it caused any upset. That was not my intention when replying to you, i was actually genuinely trying to help you get the job there with some "tough love" but perhaps on reflection my reply could have been worded better and more delicate and more empathetic in style. I am very sorry.

Clearly based on the reply from the other poster, the decisions are made at local level. Which is a good thing. The suggestion to visit the store for a feel for how other staff present is a great idea then you get even more of an idea for what's possibly acceptable at that local branch.

Personally, i would still remove the piercing at least for the interview and try and be as smart as you can be. If someone Jurassic like me interviews you it probably wouldn't help your cause. Just being honest. So counter that by removing the obstacle and bring your positive attitude and kind personality to the forefront.

I would get over at the interview that you are a great communicator, really like helping people and that you would dedicate to learn what's required, you are completely reliable, honest and hard working. If you can't draw off any previous work experiences try and include maybe something from college/school/home to illustrate how you like helping others. Customer care is essential for most retail brands like Boots so they want to be sure you can engage well with people with a positive friendly helpful attitude.

Personally, i would totally avoid asking questions about tattoos/ piercing at the interview stage, certainly don't say you are thinking of having more done, it conjures up all kinds of images regarding how far you might go, my advice is get the job first then ask further down the line. If you must ask something in this area you could ask if they have a "dress policy" but i just wouldn't go there at this stage just focus on delivering a good interview.

If they ask if you have any questions, spin it positive, ask on average how long it takes for staff members to be trained, you are really keen to learn, are there any promotional prospects further down the line. Is there anything you can read up on about boots and its great customer care that could be useful prior to starting. Use that section to demonstrate that you want to grow with Boots for the longer term. You are keen. Leave the impression that if they take you on and train you that's well worth it as you are someone that will want to continue with them.

With interviews it's your opportunity to sell yourself to them, its about "what you can bring to their business", don't fall into the trap of "what's in it for me, what do i get out of it" at interview stage. Avoid things like, what holiday days do i get, how long are tea breaks, lunch breaks etc etc, If the interview goes well they will make you an offer in writing and outline anything else during onboarding.

Good luck for next week. Hope you get the job. You can do it :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by LsDad
Hi Beth,

Good luck

actually piercings are totally fine and tattoos are allowed as long as they are not offensive or if they are can be covered up by uniform. there is no official policy on hair colour either and plenty of people in my boots have coloured hair. please do not listen to this as piercings, tattoos and unnatural hair colours do not change how professional you look unless ur a sad person

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending