The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6860
Matisse
I'm envious of anyone that lives nearby a coast. Throughout my entire life I've lived inland and often in very dense urban cities, which while I enjoy (I'm something of a city girl), I wouldn't mind living near the sea. I'd imagine it would be harder to jog across the sand, but as you say, the atmosphere would be a lot more refreshing, not to mention therapeutic. I would encourage a jog in the morning, it does make a big difference. I had to discipline myself at first, but now it's part of my routine. :smile:

I think I'll learn from your example :yep: plus it gets me up and dressed which makes work a lot easier (I have been known to do the accounts in my pyjamas :laugh: ). Living by the sea is the most amazing thing in the world...I used to have a little bit of anxiety about living inland or in a city :s-smilie: although visiting england more often has made me a lot more relaxed about this :yep: living here also has a lot of health benefits (although island weather does make my balance problems worse). I just need to remember not to do silly things when I visit cities, like not leave my bag, open in a cafe :s-smilie:
Reply 6861
skipp
I think I'll learn from your example :yep: plus it gets me up and dressed which makes work a lot easier (I have been known to do the accounts in my pyjamas :laugh: ). Living by the sea is the most amazing thing in the world...I used to have a little bit of anxiety about living inland or in a city :s-smilie: although visiting england more often has made me a lot more relaxed about this :yep: living here also has a lot of health benefits (although island weather does make my balance problems worse). I just need to remember not to do silly things when I visit cities, like not leave my bag, open in a cafe :s-smilie:

I'm the opposite, I prefer to get dressed, if only casually (my definition of casual is still deemed fashionable to most, given my wardrobe), even if I'm not going anywhere. I even have sportswear that I specifically use when I go out to jog, only to change immediately after. When I was back home with my family, I was a lot more relaxed and would quite happily stay in my pyjamas all day, regarding my mother would allow it, but ever since I've moved to the UK, I've formed a habit of always getting suitably dressed. I can only suppose that it's a habit I've developed from living with people I've never been "that" close with. For example, I have no intention to leave the flat today, but there's a chance I might need to, for whatever reason, so I like to be properly dressed. But yeah, jogging has made a huge difference, not only physically, but also mentally. I feel a lot better in myself. I have a few weights at home too... I'm not like my husband, who is a gym fanatic, but it's enough to keep fit and toned. :smile:

I've often wondered what living on an island must be like. The closest thing I've had was my hometown of Uji, which is still pretty big, given it's an ideal place for commuters to Kyoto. I bet it's very community led and that you know everyone of your own age? Or at the very least, should you venture into the center, you'll probably encounter somebody you know? I've never had that. :giggle: - As for feeling scared of living in a big city, that's understandable. It's a lot safer than you think, though, regarding you're sensible and don't do anything that'll make you stand out in the wrong way. :giggle:
Reply 6862
Matisse
I'm the opposite, I prefer to get dressed, if only casually (my definition of casual is still deemed fashionable to most, given my wardrobe), even if I'm not going anywhere. I even have sportswear that I specifically use when I go out to jog, only to change immediately after. When I was back home with my family, I was a lot more relaxed and would quite happily stay in my pyjamas all day, regarding my mother would allow it, but ever since I've moved to the UK, I've formed a habit of always getting suitably dressed. I can only suppose that it's a habit I've developed from living with people I've never been "that" close with. For example, I have no intention to leave the flat today, but there's a chance I might need to, for whatever reason, so I like to be properly dressed. But yeah, jogging has made a huge difference, not only physically, but also mentally. I feel a lot better in myself. I have a few weights at home too... I'm not like my husband, who is a gym fanatic, but it's enough to keep fit and toned. :smile:

I've often wondered what living on an island must be like. The closest thing I've had was my hometown of Uji, which is still pretty big, given it's an ideal place for commuters to Kyoto. I bet it's very community led and that you know everyone of your own age? Or at the very least, should you venture into the center, you'll probably encounter somebody you know? I've never had that. :giggle: - As for feeling scared of living in a big city, that's understandable. It's a lot safer than you think, though, regarding you're sensible and don't do anything that'll make you stand out in the wrong way. :giggle:

That's good :smile: I wouldn't say it was community based, unfortunately a small island has a small native population, so the voice of the 'jersey person' is worryingly small compared to the english, portugese, scottish etc. immigrants...who all come from big places and effectively want to bring their own community and way of life over and move it to the seaside...and that's not really a great way to mix :s-smilie: my grandparents and even my dad's era however was exactly as you imagine :yep: and all the old jersey families still act a bit like that...I know I do :giggle: and I do know most people of my age group...all the post 16 education centers are all on the same hill...so it's easy to recognise anyone
Reply 6863
vin-kin:sad:

I missed my thing at 9 today :emo:
Reply 6864
skipp
That's good :smile: I wouldn't say it was community based, unfortunately a small island has a small native population, so the voice of the 'jersey person' is worryingly small compared to the english, portugese, scottish etc. immigrants...who all come from big places and effectively want to bring their own community and way of life over and move it to the seaside...and that's not really a great way to mix :s-smilie: my grandparents and even my dad's era however was exactly as you imagine :yep: and all the old jersey families still act a bit like that...I know I do :giggle: and I do know most people of my age group...all the post 16 education centers are all on the same hill...so it's easy to recognise anyone

Oh, and here I was hoping that a small place like Jersey wouldn't be hit by the immigration hammer. :sadnod:

vin
vin-kin:sad:

Naughty Vin-kin. Calling me a lolicon. :mad:

I missed my thing at 9 today :emo:

What thing? :confused:
Reply 6865
immigration hammer :lolwut:

Its not my fault your sense of humour is only simulated :cry2:

solid mechanics :s:
Reply 6866
vin
immigration hammer :lolwut:

I did think it was a rather odd combination when I typed it, but oh well, it gets the message across. :tongue:

Its not my fault your sense of humour is only simulated :cry2:

Simulated? :sad:

solid mechanics :s:

Sounds fascinating. :smile:
Reply 6867
Matisse
Oh, and here I was hoping that a small place like Jersey wouldn't be hit by the immigration hammer. :sadnod:

Naughty Vin-kin. Calling me a lolicon. :mad:

What thing? :confused:

Ye, we definitely have benefited from a more diverse population, but it has gone a little too far...unfortunately there's a lot of pressure to turn Jersey into little England, which is infact hugely detrimental to the island's future, doesn't help that we have one insane politician who's run away from the island and is hiding in the house of commons telling anyone who'll listen how bad the island is, (which it isn't, but the man is off his rocker :lolwut: ) and how pressure on agriculture has reduced our Jersey cow numbers to dangerous levels (we have a zoo that's spending millions on saving Madagascan parrots...but can't seem to save the Jersey cow...or the lizards...or the frogs)...we're not a little England yet though :top: and we maintain self rule so hopefully if this generation of politicians leaves a little for my generation to save it'll stay Jersey for a long while yet :proud:
Reply 6868
Matisse
I did think it was a rather odd combination when I typed it, but oh well, it gets the message across.

Simulated?

Sounds fascinating.

sounds like the thing, certain kinds of political parties would use :erm:

project aiko:console:

this week seemed only to be centre of gravity and moments :s-smilie:
Reply 6869
skipp
Ye, we definitely have benefited from a more diverse population, but it has gone a little too far...unfortunately there's a lot of pressure to turn Jersey into little England, which is infact hugely detrimental to the island's future, doesn't help that we have one insane politician who's run away from the island and is hiding in the house of commons telling anyone who'll listen how bad the island is, (which it isn't, but the man is off his rocker :lolwut: ) and how pressure on agriculture has reduced our Jersey cow numbers to dangerous levels (we have a zoo that's spending millions on saving Madagascan parrots...but can't seem to save the Jersey cow...or the lizards...or the frogs)...we're not a little England yet though :top: and we maintain self rule so hopefully if this generation of politicians leaves a little for my generation to save it'll stay Jersey for a long while yet :proud:

While I actively encourage immigration and can identify its benefits (especially in a city like London), I wouldn't want an island like Jersey to become a "little England". :s-smilie: - The charm and beauty of such a place, I would have thought, would be in retaining its origins. To remain relatively untouched. Oh well, we opted for the flight next Friday from Gatwick, so I'll have the chance to see this place for myself soon. :biggrin:

vin
sounds like the thing, certain kinds of political parties would use :erm:

Those I know have often said I could be a good politician. :erm:

project aiko:console:

:sad:

this week seemed only to be centre of gravity and moments :s-smilie:

I see, will you miss much by not attending?
Reply 6870
Matisse
While I actively encourage immigration and can identify its benefits (especially in a city like London), I wouldn't want an island like Jersey to become a "little England". :s-smilie: - The charm and beauty of such a place, I would have thought, would be in retaining its origins. To remain relatively untouched. Oh well, we opted for the flight next Friday from Gatwick, so I'll have the chance to see this place for myself soon. :biggrin:

Those I know have often said I could be a good politician.

I see, will you miss much by not attending?

Oh now you decide to visit places outside of london :emo:

you'd be a scary politician, someone who would scare everyone into obediance by not even doing anything. And then become an eveil queen, but you wouldnt like being in the spotlight like that :emog: (so you say:s:)

nope, it doesnt seem very difficult, and the notes are online, But the lecturer will notice my absence since I tend to sit near the front and seem kind of noticable:hmmmm:

hi there
Photobucket account inactive. :s:
damn :tongue:
Reply 6874
vin
Oh now you decide to visit places outside of london :emo:

I didn't have the inclination to leave London until now. :no:

you'd be a scary politician, someone who would scare everyone into obediance by not even doing anything. And then become an eveil queen, but you wouldnt like being in the spotlight like that :emog: (so you say:s:)

Are you suggesting that my authority would be one of autocracy? :tongue:

nope, it doesnt seem very difficult, and the notes are online, But the lecturer will notice my absence since I tend to sit near the front and seem kind of noticable:hmmmm:

I laughed at the last part, you're kind of 'noticeable', in what way? :giggle: - I suppose looking like a little white plush toy can have that effect. :hugs:
Aiko as a politician? :beard: Interesting. She'd certainly be better than the moose we have for PM at the moment. :erm:

Knowing Aiko, the funding for the arts and culture sector of London would dramatically increase in her term in office. :teeth: Anime viewing would be compulsory of course - One Piece to be exact. Heretics will be made an example of - gomu gomu punched into the Thames should do it. :yes: There'll be pirahnas in the water of course - courtesy of Kag, the Waste Commissioner/Defence Minister of England. :cute:
Reply 6877
8 eugenius

I'm assuming this is picture you wanted to post above? :giggle:

Hey Euge, haven't seen you around for a while. :hugs: - Jeh-tan directed me to your post in the Muse Society. Good gig, huh? :coma:
8 eugenius

Dancing guitar storm trooper > Thrusting storm trooper. :cute:

Hiya Eug. :hugs:
Matisse
I'm assuming this is picture you wanted to post above? :giggle:

Hey Euge, haven't seen you around for a while. :hugs: - Jeh-tan directed me to your post in the Muse Society. Good gig, huh? :coma:

yeah :tongue:

hey AIko :hugs: yeah ive been quite ill lately :s-smilie: good thing i dont have work til Sunday :smile: lol yeah the gig was flipping amazing :coma: but it felt so short :frown: would love to go again :woo:

Latest