The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick university

So it’s had its controversies of rape and sexual assault being common. Ever since the work of “protect Warwick women”, has the conditions improved? I considered applying there
It's hard to answer generally, as I don't want to minimise others' experiences. I personally feel very safe on campus and among the student community, and this seems to be the experience of my friends too. You do occasionally hear of things, but it doesn't seem to be in a higher proportion than anywhere else with 28,000+ people in one place (although I don't have the data to verify that, and it's obviously still bad that things happen at all).

One thing I can say is that the uni has put more measures/support in place since the group chat scandal. It was not good publicity, so even being cynical they had good motivation to improve :redface:

Every student has to do a short course on being an active bystander, as well as a yearly course on "Warwick Values" covering consent, harassment, discrimination etc. All societies and sports clubs must have 2+ exec complete a more in-depth 10 hour active bystander course, and they are encouraged to become "Report and Support Ready", where all exec must complete training on consent, discrimination, harassment, hate crimes/incidents, sexual misconduct, and how to support disclosures. (Socs and clubs play a big part in campus life, so this covers quite a large chunk of people.) This ties into the uni's Report and Support scheme, which is intended to support victims after an incident, and help them with reporting etc. if they so wish. The actual impact of these measures can certainly be debated (and is), but they at least open the discussion, which is a start.

If you fancy a further explore of things, Report and Support publish annual reports of disclosures and sanctions, which is an interesting data set. The numbers aren't massively helpful in themselves, as the scheme is relatively new and there is still some distrust that reporting will actually achieve anything, but it does give a rough picture of the types of incidents being reported and how they are dealt with: https://reportandsupport.warwick.ac.uk/support/report-and-support-annual-reports
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I study at Warwick, have just finished my first year. As someone who has seen their share of sexual misconduct at the university, yes, it is taken seriously.

Starting in October, two girls became infatuated with me and began making these highly explicit sexual comments about me, which I found extremely disturbing and traumatic. This ruined my entire term, and I was afraid of returning. As a result, I passed my concerns on to the residential team, who took it very seriously.

As a result, the entire flat was ordered to attend a meeting, without me of course, to discuss why this was happening. I was further presented with the option of making a formal report, which based on what I've understood could have landed someone in serious trouble if I did that and attached all the offending screenshots.

The girls got terrified and immediately stopped. So yes, it is taken very seriously.
Reply 3
Original post by hypercolius
I study at Warwick, have just finished my first year. As someone who has seen their share of sexual misconduct at the university, yes, it is taken seriously.

Starting in October, two girls became infatuated with me and began making these highly explicit sexual comments about me, which I found extremely disturbing and traumatic. This ruined my entire term, and I was afraid of returning. As a result, I passed my concerns on to the residential team, who took it very seriously.

As a result, the entire flat was ordered to attend a meeting, without me of course, to discuss why this was happening. I was further presented with the option of making a formal report, which based on what I've understood could have landed someone in serious trouble if I did that and attached all the offending screenshots.

The girls got terrified and immediately stopped. So yes, it is taken very seriously.

I’m really sorry that happened to you. I’m glad it was dealt with.

Quick Reply

Latest