The Student Room Group
Reply 1
That was evil, an opinion shared by all 6 members of my Maths class, and our tutor. The questions weren't just obscure they were downright stupid, they weren't in any past paper or textbook or notes we had. Suffice to say from 6 students predicted A's we all came out thinking that will never happen now.

In evidence. I present question 7:
even given u=x²-1 as a substitution I couldn't even do the integration on this question, let alone get an answer, and plotting it on a Graphical Calculator reveals why, the graph was crazy.
Reply 2
Russell_Ede
That was evil, an opinion shared by all 6 members of my Maths class, and our tutor. The questions weren't just obscure they were downright stupid, they weren't in any past paper or textbook or notes we had. Suffice to say from 6 students predicted A's we all came out thinking that will never happen now.

In evidence. I present question 7:
even given u=x²-1 as a substitution I couldn't even do the integration on this question, let alone get an answer, and plotting it on a Graphical Calculator reveals why, the graph was crazy.

ooh dear, that doesnt look very nice
Reply 3
manps
ooh dear, that doesnt look very nice

Try this one for size then:
By first writing cos3θ=cos( 2θ+θ ) show that cos3θ=4cos³θ-3cosθ and find the values of θ between and 180° satisfying the equation: cos3θ+3cos²θ+3cosθ=0

Both of these questions were typical of the paper, this was made worse by the fact that any revision was nullified to an extent by the fact that these style of questions had not appeared on the past papers.

Latest