The Student Room Group
Student bar - cheaper and usually more lively and you can get away with more screaming on as they are used to it
Teams 20 = way to many people for everyone to do it indervidually
Start with light drinks ie reef that way you will last longer
Reply 2
littletinysmall
For my big 1-8, I have somehow ended up organising a massive pub golf for my group of friends (how, I'm not sure, what started as "someone should throw pub golf for their birthday, how jokes would that be" somehow turned into "Lauren, make the facebook event tonight")

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly how to organise it? For starters, all of my friends are 18 and lightweight, there are literally no ladettes or above size 12s among us - it's also ironic that I'm the organiser, as I have a reputation for chundering by 8pm (lush, I know)

So maybe this could be a recipe for disaster?

Also I don't really want to do it in teams, but I'm thinking if there are 20 plus of us, screaming and that, we may get kicked out?

Also any ideas for penalties or forfeits that will make it really fun? I want it to be memorable!

I'm also thinking that if it's too difficult, or people get too drunk too quickly they will just give up on the game, also how do you stop people from lying, and keep them in order?

I'm also doing it in Oxford, if anyone knows it! I don't know whether to stick to traditional pubby pubs or more studenty/barry places like Purple turtle as well?

1) It is quite ridiculous how much the two things I put in bold annoy me.

2) Drinking is more seperate from dress size than you believe. My ex was a size 8 and 5ft 11" yet could drink nearly every lad under the table. A friend of mine must be hitting size 16 and can't handle more than a couple of vodka+cokes.

3) What is it with this 'golf outfit in a pub' lark. It seems to have invaded Liverpool recently :angry: when once it was consiged to the chavs and the wools of St Helens.

4) God knows what people actually do on this (apart from looking and acting like tossers) but I imagine that going to a student bar would be a good bet because of how cheap they are, as well as 'expecting' this kind of behaviour.
littletinysmall
For my big 1-8, I have somehow ended up organising a massive pub golf for my group of friends (how, I'm not sure, what started as "someone should throw pub golf for their birthday, how jokes would that be" somehow turned into "Lauren, make the facebook event tonight&quot:wink:

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly how to organise it? For starters, all of my friends are 18 and lightweight, there are literally no ladettes or above size 12s among us - it's also ironic that I'm the organiser, as I have a reputation for chundering by 8pm (lush, I know)

So maybe this could be a recipe for disaster?

Also I don't really want to do it in teams, but I'm thinking if there are 20 plus of us, screaming and that, we may get kicked out?

Also any ideas for penalties or forfeits that will make it really fun? I want it to be memorable!

I'm also thinking that if it's too difficult, or people get too drunk too quickly they will just give up on the game, also how do you stop people from lying, and keep them in order?

I'm also doing it in Oxford, if anyone knows it! I don't know whether to stick to traditional pubby pubs or more studenty/barry places like Purple turtle as well?

Your probably better of in more studenty places. I imagine pub golf not going down so well with other people in a more traditional pub, plus many of the city centre pubs are so expensive. If your thinking of the Purple Turtle you probably won't get in without Bod cards especially at busy times of the year!
you'll have to get the golf clubs sorted for everyone, doubt they'll have their own set of clubs
everyone will need a driver, a few irons and a putter
probably best to have five 3 balls and one two ball

what golf course are you going to ? not been to Oxford myself so don't know any of the courses there.
Reply 5
Odd girls?

in what way are you odd. That would help.
littletinysmall
I was at pt on friday without a card? I don't think it's student id anymore, although I may be wrong

Any specific suggestions? :smile:

Oh well in that case it might have changed though my housemates tell me that they are pretty random at deciding if you need a bod card or not to get, sometimes apparently they just decide on the spot what the policy is.

I'm afraid my Oxford drinking knowledge stretches to more traditional pubs or places that have cocktails. A lot of the pubs I can think of are lovely but perhaps not really pub golf places. Que Pasa is a regular haunt for its 2for1 cocktails till 9. Depends which part of Oxford your based in, I'd perhaps start somewhere down Cowley rd and work my way up into town but thats only because I live that direction and the bars are good! Maybe places like Kazbar.
Reply 7
As a barman I hate pub golf. So, I'd have to suggest that its impossible to organise and you should give it up!
littletinysmall
Haha that's true actually ... we wanted to go in there after cellar a little while ago but they asked for student id, I didn't have being in sixth form but my friend had her sister's Leeds student card, because of this they let us in!

I dig cowley road, but I think my friends want to stay in town. How much are the que pesa cocktails, because that could fare well because we're doing it in twos! On the other hands I can imagine my friends being a little snobby about it...
Hmm well so far I'm thinking red lion, PT, Four Candles, Possibly Que Pasa, maybe like turl...although I don't know how sympathetic they'd be! Then again a tuesday night is unlikely to be too busy

Que Pasa cocktails are £4.95 so works out very nice when buying on 2 for 1! Sounds like a good list of places. I understand the wanting to stay in town, though Cowely road is very cool. At least in town you can go to a kebab van afterwards :woo:
Reply 9
when i did it we were all given a list of drinks with a number next to it and then an empty box.

1) the drink that has to be drunk.... eg. 1 WKD
2) the par for that drink (ie how many mouthfulls it should be drunk in)....... eg. 3 mouthfulls
3) How many you did it in....... eg. 2 (you managed 1 under par)

we were allowed to complete the list in any order we liked and then recorded our own score

for example

pint of cider, par = 2, done in...
WKD, par = 3, done in...
archers and mixer, par = 1, done in...
Reef, par = 3, done in...

and so on

Latest