The Student Room Group
You can do, but it's usually preferable to be in the first year of a course allied to medicine - e.g. some people miss the grades for medicine, do the first year of a dentistry/pharmacy/biochemistry, etc. course and then transfer to medicine after successfully completing their first year.
Reply 2
Kingspharm
You can do, but it's usually preferable to be in the first year of a course allied to medicine - e.g. some people miss the grades for medicine, do the first year of a dentistry/pharmacy/biochemistry, etc. course and then transfer to medicine after successfully completing their first year.

so you will start from year 1. I guess thats ok, better than taking a gap year.
w8wizz
so you will start from year 1. I guess thats ok, better than taking a gap year.

.. If you don't have anything to do on a gap year.
Reply 4
w8wizz
can u start a uni course and then apply to another uni to study different course.

I mean if you dont get an offer for medicine, but u get an offer for engineering, can u start engineering, then during the couse apply 4 medicine.

it is better than than taking a gap year, and you cant garantee u will get an offer for either if u apply again.

Yes, you can start a uni course and then apply to another un to study a different course. Remember your first year tutor will need to write the reference for you, and need to include your first year marks/grades in the application form.
Reply 5
trev
Yes, you can start a uni course and then apply to another un to study a different course. Remember your first year tutor will need to write the reference for you, and need to include your first year marks/grades in the application form.

well, if ur applying after weeks into the course, before 15 october, do you need reference, and what if havent havent taken any exams by then.
Reply 6
Are you just using Medicine as an example or is this really something you're thinking of?

Personally, if you want to do Medicine I wouldn't start something else knowing that I was applying to get out of it. It's another year of uni, a year that's gonna cost and that you have to take out a loan for. If you do a gap year you could get a job and do something productive.
Reply 7
What if the course you are transferring is entirely different from the 1st yr course you just completed?

OR as long as you get a high mark is it the equiv of A's at A levels?

danker!
Reply 8
Jazzy
What if the course you are transferring is entirely different from the 1st yr course you just completed?

OR as long as you get a high mark is it the equiv of A's at A levels?

danker!

I think re-applying would be the best thing to do and start from year 1 from that course you want to transfer too.
Reply 9
Helenia
Are you just using Medicine as an example or is this really something you're thinking of?

Personally, if you want to do Medicine I wouldn't start something else knowing that I was applying to get out of it. It's another year of uni, a year that's gonna cost and that you have to take out a loan for. If you do a gap year you could get a job and do something productive.

Medicine is just an example. If i take a gap year, i still will not be guaranteed a place when i apply again. I could then be taking out 1, 2, or then 3 gap years, that is just wasting time.
Reply 10
trev
Remember your first year tutor will need to write the reference for you, and need to include your first year marks/grades in the application form.

I believe it doesn't need to be a first year tutor who writes your reference. UCAS specify it shouldn't be friends or family who do it, and recommend a guidance teacher or similar, but they don't say it has to be a tutor. Hence people applying on gap years aren't screwed because they have no tutors.

What courses are you thinking of taking up/reapplying to? You may like the uni you end up starting and decide to stay there, and certainly it would take up time at uni to reapply when your workload will probably increase from A-levels. Also, you'll have to pay an extra year's tuition fees. (assuming you pay them)
Reply 11
Kingspharm

That happens very rarely thesedays outside of the Leeds Bradford thing...

Latest

Trending

Trending