The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
cuddlebuggy
hey, did you have to do the online chat with the history department before you got your offer? (:

No I haven't heard of this before :s-smilie:
emily2406
No I haven't heard of this before :s-smilie:

haha well congratulations on your offer anyway! :biggrin: they sent me an email about it, i suppose i'll just keep my fingers crossed for 25 nov! :smile:
Reply 42
cuddlebuggy
haha well congratulations on your offer anyway! :biggrin: they sent me an email about it, i suppose i'll just keep my fingers crossed for 25 nov! :smile:

are you talking about the warwick online chat thing?? i was so confused about it, like is it compulosry or not... which time slot did you pick? i initally requested the two latest ones and then i realised that i had a movie premier to go to that night so i had to apologize and request the two earliest slots in stead... haha hope that don't take me for an idiot because of that :wink:
Reply 43
emily2406
I heard that we should hear back some time at the end of November :s-smilie: I've pretty much given up hope too, I think i did bad on the HAT test, I was disappointed with myself :frown:

Do you know how much they base their decision upon the HAT test or whether they take into consideration your whole application too? If you do bad on the HAT test are you automatically declined?
:s-smilie:

Where are your offers from?
:biggrin:

I heard the HAT cuts out about a third of candidates. However, I think they said last year you needed like 55% to get to survive the cut off, so in number terms it doesn't sound that hard - but of course it is NOT easy. I applied to Cambridge in the end anyway, but that did scare me. at the time. Hope this helps :smile:
b-rez
are you talking about the warwick online chat thing?? i was so confused about it, like is it compulosry or not... which time slot did you pick? i initally requested the two latest ones and then i realised that i had a movie premier to go to that night so i had to apologize and request the two earliest slots in stead... haha hope that don't take me for an idiot because of that :wink:

yes i am actually! they made it sound so informal i actually forgot about it for a minute! i chose the 4pm slots because they'll be at around midnight my time! :smile: i don't think they'll hold it against you, they sounded rather nice and friendly actually. haha much more so than the other uni admission offices!
Reply 45
applied for v100 history at Oxford Trinity Durham UCL LSE ( turned down on tuesday) and Kent
Does your predicted grades need to be in such massive font. Unless it is ironic, we get it. You're smart.

I'm applying to Kent, what is with their low grade req. for a uni with a gd hist rep. Plus i saw they do history of cinema for two of the years. I'll take a film studies degree thats been renamed History any day!

25th? That a reliable date or just around then.
Reply 47
Captain_Birdseye
Does your predicted grades need to be in such massive font. Unless it is ironic, we get it. You're smart.

I'm applying to Kent, what is with their low grade req. for a uni with a gd hist rep. Plus i saw they do history of cinema for two of the years. I'll take a film studies degree thats been renamed History any day!

25th? That a reliable date or just around then.

Ya was just messing around with the predicted grades lol gonna change the size in a sec lol =)
kent has a good history faculty that could warrent an AAA application, but the uni as a whole has decided to keep all its offers within the 280-340 points range. Mainly because some of its better deps, such as history,are up and coming and thus not as established as some of the older AAA unis =)
Sounds good to me. The range of course they seem to offer (although they won't give all of them) is huge.

I just worry about the size of the place, maybe not lively enough.
hmah
cool! atleast you can start preparing for the interview, knowing it wont be a waste. i just wish fitzwilliam would hurry up and reply :s-smilie:
the questionnaire was okay;initially it was a bit daunting, but i managed in the end. i chose Gaddis' Cold War book. :o: i know- it was a really ambitious choice and i just didnt do it justice. my other essay was on the korean war.
how about you? what was your book and topic? how you preparing for the interview??
im from pakistan.
what grades did you have till AS level (just wondering cause you got an interview)

Ahhh...welll for the book I did Service's 'Russian Revolutions'. Interesting book. For the historical problem, I did the establishment of the first Saudi state in 1744. Its an area I have studied myself...kind of obsessed with the period...and Wahhabism...and Saud himself...ha.

Hmm as far as prep for interview goes, Im just planning some predictable questions (that said I doubt they'll ask me!); taking up opportunities to have mock interviews and ensuring my view of history is all good.

At AS, I got 4 A's and a B. 100% in history and politics.
What exams did you do?
Reply 50
Oxford (Worcester)-Waiting for my rejection any day now :smile:
Sussex- Offer (AAB) :biggrin:
Edinburgh- Taking forever to reply and probably will reject me eventually
Bristol- Ditto haha
QMUL- Interview sometime in December :smile:
Reply 51
And for straight history btw
Reply 52
private-radio
Ahhh...welll for the book I did Service's 'Russian Revolutions'. Interesting book. For the historical problem, I did the establishment of the first Saudi state in 1744. Its an area I have studied myself...kind of obsessed with the period...and Wahhabism...and Saud himself...ha.

Hmm as far as prep for interview goes, Im just planning some predictable questions (that said I doubt they'll ask me!); taking up opportunities to have mock interviews and ensuring my view of history is all good.

At AS, I got 4 A's and a B. 100% in history and politics.
What exams did you do?

i got 3 a's and a b. i gave history, psychology, geography and chemistry. 100%...thats impressive. what system do you follow?? i still dont have a reply. hope itll come soon :smile:
i have a friend who did her questions on the russian revolution, as well.
so why're you so interested in Wahhabism- thats fascinating!
Sussex AAB? Damn, was hoping they'd go for the BBB range from their website. Its probs my second choice, great place to live ey!
Reply 54
I know, I was hoping for a lower offer as well, but I think it's because I'm predicted AAA and am grammar school, (slash hoping that's the reason, not because my personal statement is weak or anything haha).
Reply 55
But they also said A*BB is acceptable and considering I got in the 90s in one of my subjects and very close in two others, it's definately doable
Not an offer, but just got an interview at Oriel, Oxford.
b-rez

Hey, were you able to access the Livechat? I've been having so many problems with it... How was your livechat session by the way?
hmah
i got 3 a's and a b. i gave history, psychology, geography and chemistry. 100%...thats impressive. what system do you follow?? i still dont have a reply. hope itll come soon :smile:
i have a friend who did her questions on the russian revolution, as well.
so why're you so interested in Wahhabism- thats fascinating!

We did edexcel board; studied India 1900-47 and USA 1945-72. Yourself?

I don't know what it is about Wahhabism. I have become interested in it more so because of its driving force for the first centralized system of goverment in Arabia. Its very exciting stuff.

Have you had a request for an interview?
Someonefrom mysons school got a letter today inviting him to an oxford interview for history-St Hilda's

now we are all at home trying to be very cool and calm and I am doing lots of housework and he is doing a history essay due in tomorrow

i dont know whether as a mum i should be trying to ring up admissions tutors or going to dinner parties ( i dont know any admissions tutors and dont like dinner parties) but try as I might to pretend I don't care I really do want him to get an interview and so do all the family and so does he
I shant ring up the admissions tutor- imagine how well it would go down...."hello I am so and so's mother do you think you could invite himfor an interview" they would laugh me out of town

so I shall do lots of laundry instead so thats why our house is cleaner than usual

Latest

Trending

Trending