The Student Room Group

EPQ

Im doing EPQ on history of accounting and my teacher is really annoying me with the title i had a good one but he said follow the 4 P's so i need help cos im really lost so please help me. The 4 P's are people/population- who is involved
Place- Geographic location
Point in time- When,dates
Point of view- Opinion, perspective
Reply 1
What was your original title?
Reply 2
Original post by fedora34
What was your original title?

From Quills to computers: tracing the positive impact and evolution of accounting practices.
Reply 3
Original post by anon2911
From Quills to computers: tracing the positive impact and evolution of accounting practices.

Is this title too broad? You only have 5000 words and part of this will be an introduction and conclusion.
Reply 4

It's too broad, and it should be a specific question, e.g. the answer is yes/no or X, and here are the reasons why I have come to this conclusion. You should not know the answer to your question until you have done the research. Your title is more of a history type question, rather than a specific question that has an answer.

It needs to be something specific. Maybe you can investigate if a recently introduced new UK accountancy practice or law has had a positive or negative impact on something else, like efficiency, transparency, easy of use etc.
Reply 5
Maybe something very roughly along the lines of:

Has the introduction of ........in (year of intro) had a positive impact upon.....?
Or instead of positive impact - has it been successful in terms of its impact upon...

Then you can define terms in your introduction.
You could then argue reasons why it has had a positive impact
Also argue reasons why it could be seen as not having a positive impact
Then reach a conclusion

Just one idea.

Good to narrow down your initial title one way or another.
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
It's too broad, and it should be a specific question, e.g. the answer is yes/no or X, and here are the reasons why I have come to this conclusion. You should not know the answer to your question until you have done the research. Your title is more of a history type question, rather than a specific question that has an answer.

It needs to be something specific. Maybe you can investigate if a recently introduced new UK accountancy practice or law has had a positive or negative impact on something else, like efficiency, transparency, easy of use etc.

could you please suggest a good title i could use
Reply 7
could you please suggest a good title i could use

No sorry, as I don't know enough about accountancy.
Reply 8

It's a good title, but perhaps more suited to a long master's dissertation in its breadth. I think your teacher is right that you need to narrow the title down, although corporate phrases like "the four Ps" really annoy me too.

Presumably your focus is the UK? And what is the timeframe of your investigation? And you say "positive impact", but the impact on what? Society? State economics? Businesses? The financial sector?

The title isn't really the place to include your "point of view", and there's no need to include "people" unless you're looking at any one person in particular.

EPQ titles are often best phrased as a straight question, so something like: "What was the economic impact of advancements in British accounting practices between 1800-2010?"

Or slightly different, "How did changes in accounting practices impact the British economy between 1800-2010?"

Then you've immediately narrowed down your geographical location, your time period, and your mode of investigation - i.e., you're looking specifically at economics, and you're assessing the impact of changes in accountancy on it. But obviously you'll have to tailor that to whatever angle you're investigating.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending