The Student Room Group

Do Unis have a Quota for types of students they accept?

For context, I am from Ireland.
I was chatting with my dad and older brother today about how crazy some Durham rejections were. For example, people with amazing stats and amazing lnat scores were rejected. However, I had good stats but a poorer lnat score, and was given an offer.
They told me it was because I’m from Ireland. I told them that it doesn’t matter since we all count as home students. So I assumed we would all be treated the same. I’m also a woc (woman of colour) if that changes anything.

They said, no, unis have a quota for this. That they MUST accept a certain amount of people…in this case, from Ireland.
I’m just wondering whether this is true? If so, I’d feel so guilty for the offers I’ve gotten. It also makes me wonder whether I only got an offer from Cambridge because my nationality is irish and am asian. Is there some sort of diversity quota?

Lastly, my parents did not help me one bit throughout the application process. I did all the research, preparing, planning etc. on my own. So idk if I can trust what they’ve said…but I suppose to them, I only got offers because of my nationality and race.

I’d really appreciate any insight at all.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Scroll to see replies

UK universities don’t have diversity quotas. Positive discrimination is more of an American thing. Some universities give out contextual offers for disadvantaged or marginalised applicants, which means they get a reduced offer e.g. ABB instead of AAA, but the actual selection process is completely devoid of any diversity quotas.
No, that would be illegal.

Spoiler

(edited 4 weeks ago)
Universities don’t have your ethnicity data yet. This is only released after you start university for use in monitoring stats.

There’s no quotas based on nationality/region (although Scottish universities do have caps on Scottish and rUK entrant numbers due to the way they’re funded). Some universities will take into account university participation and deprivation scores linked to your home postcode. Others will compare your academic achievement to your school averages to identify applicants who are excelling in weaker schools.

Does Durham just look at lnat score or do they do some assessment of the written essay component (assuming that’s still part of the test)?
OP, both Cambridge and Durham, two universities with competitive entrance standards, have assessed YOU as an excellent candidate. They have based their assessments on YOUR record and YOUR potential. Your nationality, ethnicity, and sex have had nothing to do with the decisions. Congratulations on your offers from two of the UK's leading universities, and good luck with your studies.
When I got my Oxford offer I wondered a bit if it was just because I’m female and working class/state school. Probably just imposter syndrome/disbelief at actually getting into the unis you’ve dreamed about for years. They accepted you because of your application/interview performance, not to fill a quota :smile:
Imposter Syndrome is, of course, a curable condition.

It may be that the only people who never experience Imposter Syndrome are people who are in fact imposters. Confident bluffers with little real ability may experience little self doubt.

Or perhaps a faker's knowledge that he or she is a fake is what drives the faker to carry on faking.

People such as Boris Johnson and Donald Trump could satisfy either of those descriptions.

OP, please trust the judgment of the academics at the good universities which have invited you to join them.
Reply 7
Oh wow, I didn't expect so many replies. Thank you all 🙏 I guess the answer is "no" then!
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Universities don’t have your ethnicity data yet. This is only released after you start university for use in monitoring stats.
There’s no quotas based on nationality/region (although Scottish universities do have caps on Scottish and rUK entrant numbers due to the way they’re funded). Some universities will take into account university participation and deprivation scores linked to your home postcode. Others will compare your academic achievement to your school averages to identify applicants who are excelling in weaker schools.
Does Durham just look at lnat score or do they do some assessment of the written essay component (assuming that’s still part of the test)?

Ooh that's true, I was thinking that they'd have no clue what ethnicity I am (apart from the big giveaway in my name, and when they met me during the interview)

The LNAT exam is composed of the MCQ section and an essay section so yes, they are said to take that into account. I've heard that both Durham and UCL care about the essay, but 🤣 I don't think UCL even looked at the rest of my application when they saw my poor LNAT score.
Original post by Coeoe
Ooh that's true, I was thinking that they'd have no clue what ethnicity I am (apart from the big giveaway in my name, and when they met me during the interview)

The LNAT exam is composed of the MCQ section and an essay section so yes, they are said to take that into account. I've heard that both Durham and UCL care about the essay, but 🤣 I don't think UCL even looked at the rest of my application when they saw my poor LNAT score.

Sounds like Durham’s law degree includes more essays then MCQs….:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Stiffy Byng
OP, both Cambridge and Durham, two universities with competitive entrance standards, have assessed YOU as an excellent candidate. They have based their assessments on YOUR record and YOUR potential. Your nationality, ethnicity, and sex have had nothing to do with the decisions. Congratulations on your offers from two of the UK's leading universities, and good luck with your studies.

🥹 Thank you, I really appreciate it.
Reply 11
Original post by Username123ab
When I got my Oxford offer I wondered a bit if it was just because I’m female and working class/state school. Probably just imposter syndrome/disbelief at actually getting into the unis you’ve dreamed about for years. They accepted you because of your application/interview performance, not to fill a quota :smile:

😭 Ooh imposter syndrome. Also congratulations on the Oxford offer!!
I suppose that's true 🤧 but idk why I can't get rid of the niggling feeling in the back of my mind haha.
Reply 12
Imposter Syndrome is, of course, a curable condition.
It may be that the only people who never experience Imposter Syndrome are people who are in fact imposters. Confident bluffers with little real ability may experience little self doubt.
Or perhaps a faker's knowledge that he or she is a fake is what drives the faker to carry on faking.
People such as Boris Johnson and Donald Trump could satisfy either of those descriptions.
OP, please trust the judgment of the academics at the good universities which have invited you to join them.

I will 🙏 thank you. Even if a part of me still refuses to believe, I'm still going to take the opportunities that were given to me 😭 "Fake it till you make it" right?
I'm genuinely so grateful for my offers and I'll do my best to fully trust their judgments. Thanks again!
Who told you it was because you 'are from Ireland'?

Get this in writing - an email - and then talk to UCAS please.
Reply 14
Original post by McGinger
Who told you it was because you 'are from Ireland'?
Get this in writing - an email - and then talk to UCAS please.

Oh sorry I must've not been clear. 😭 My dad and my older brother said that they have quotas, hence why I got an offer.

They said that unis must accept "this many people" from different regions/countries and that they want to promote diversity-- indicating that I only received offers because of my nationality/ethnicity. I guess it's not true though.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Just one quick clarification, they almost never have quotas with one main exception: there is a quota on how many home / international students can do Medicine / Dentistry. This has nothing to do with any sort of diversity though and beyond the fee status, everything is treated equally. The most recent data I could find was that 7.5% of total intake could be international (at least in England and Wales) with a limit on the total number of students also.

This is unlikely to affect you in your case but I thought it would be worthwhile to mention it.
Original post by Coeoe
Oh sorry I must've not been clear. 😭 My dad and my older brother said that they have quotas, hence why I got an offer.
They said that unis must accept "this many people" from different regions/countries and that they want to promote diversity-- indicating that I only received offers because of my nationality/ethnicity. I guess it's not true though.

As others have told you - there are no 'quotas' or limits on numbers from each country.

The only 'numbers' thing is that there will usually be target numbers for 'Home' fee payers and 'International fee payers' for each course but even this is a 'target' and not an absolute, and isnt about specific nationalities etc - its just about ensuring University income.
Original post by Coeoe

You were clear. McGinger appears to have overlooked part of your opening post.

No need to guess, your family members are mistaken. There is no need to get anything in writing or talk to UCAS, because no quota has been applied.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 18
Original post by melancollege
Just one quick clarification, they almost never have quotas with one main exception: there is a quota on how many home / international students can do Medicine / Dentistry. This has nothing to do with any sort of diversity though and beyond the fee status, everything is treated equally. The most recent data I could find was that 7.5% of total intake could be international (at least in England and Wales) with a limit on the total number of students also.
This is unlikely to affect you in your case but I thought it would be worthwhile to mention it.

Ooh yes I've heard of quotas for medicine! I didn't know that dentistry's the same too.

Haha yes I didn't apply for either of those but thanks for sharing this information!!
Reply 19
Original post by Stiffy Byng
You were clear. McGinger appears to have overlooked part of your opening post.
No need to guess, your family members are mistaken. There is no need to get anything in writing or talk to UCAS, because no quota has been applied.

🫡 Alright thank you!! I'm definitely going to have a little chat with my family tonight 🤣
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending