The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

r316
I'm doing maths a year early so that I can do further maths if I choose to. To be truthful I'm not that interested in UCL anyway; my only fear is that other universities will follow their lead over the next few years. What do you think?

The sciences and maths is probably the most complementary and respected combination there is. If you want to do a science degree then any place should love you for it.
Reply 21
Well i am gonna do Maths, Further Maths, chem, biology and physics. i wish i could do russian a-level as well, cause its my native language, but not every 6th form or college has it. By the way das anybody know can you do a-level and not attend the actual lessons?
Reply 22
It's possible to teach yourself with books and ask your school to enter you for the exam. It's meant to be v. tough though; don't overload lol.

Actually, I'm doing the same subjects as you. I wasn't sure about Physics; I don't want to be seen as one dimentional, but I enjoy it and it works. So woohoo!

Thank you for the advice hornblower. And Lucy. And Bono and Corey. And everyone else I've pestered on these forums!
Reply 23
Sonata
Well i am gonna do Maths, Further Maths, chem, biology and physics. i wish i could do russian a-level as well, cause its my native language, but not every 6th form or college has it. By the way das anybody know can you do a-level and not attend the actual lessons?

Yea, you can teach yourself. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Applied Maths (on my own), Physics and Chemistry. In also get two language freebies because I speak French and Russian. + there's philosophy AS. I'm still alive and breathing so I can't see what the problems are for doing that sort of thing
for doing medcine at oxbridge, what do you think would be better?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths
Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Maths
or Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics (only to AS) , Maths
Reply 25
mattytaylor

I'm doing the first option; all of them would be fine. The third sounds good, but could be tough. You're best contacting admissions people at the college you're interested in for the best advice. Cam. recommended the first route, but I know you can get in without 3 sciences and maths lol
Reply 26
mattytaylor

If you don't know what subjects to do for A-level (as in Economics for medicine), then don't go to Oxbridge.
Yannis
If you don't know what subjects to do for A-level (as in Economics for medicine), then don't go to Oxbridge.

I didn't know which subjects to do at A-level; I changed my choices three or four times. I chose Chemistry A-level after my GCSE's after my teacher said I should get into Oxford to do it, and finally stopped switching courses in the Spring term. I decided, probably for the wrong reasons, to read for a chemistry degree. I got into Oxford anyway.

J.
Reply 28
hornblower
I didn't know which subjects to do at A-level; I changed my choices three or four times. I chose Chemistry A-level after my GCSE's after my teacher said I should get into Oxford to do it, and finally stopped switching courses in the Spring term. I decided, probably for the wrong reasons, to read for a chemistry degree. I got into Oxford anyway.

J.

And I bet you'll have fun doing a subject, which your chemistry teacher likes. Get over it, mummy won't be there all the time to tell you what to do. Sometimes you've got to think for yourself and spending 3 years in University is definitely something to think about.
Reply 29
Not everyone always knows everything for certain- the point of such forums is to help, not criticise uncertainty. It's quite okay to be flexible, and it takes a brave man to admit when he doesn't know and ask another. It's a trait I respect.
Yannis
And I bet you'll have fun doing a subject, which your chemistry teacher likes. Get over it, mummy won't be there all the time to tell you what to do. Sometimes you've got to think for yourself and spending 3 years in University is definitely something to think about.

Four years, actually! I don't mind the subject.
Reply 31
I took three sci and maths without any idea what i was gonna do, but then i realsied i wanted to do chem, and go into durham to do it for 4 yrs also

Latest