Turn on thread page Beta

3 sciences and maths at Alevel watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    I'm doing maths a year early so that I can do further maths if I choose to. To be truthful I'm not that interested in UCL anyway; my only fear is that other universities will follow their lead over the next few years. What do you think?
    The sciences and maths is probably the most complementary and respected combination there is. If you want to do a science degree then any place should love you for it.

ReputationRep:
    Well i am gonna do Maths, Further Maths, chem, biology and physics. i wish i could do russian a-level as well, cause its my native language, but not every 6th form or college has it. By the way das anybody know can you do a-level and not attend the actual lessons?

ReputationRep:
    It's possible to teach yourself with books and ask your school to enter you for the exam. It's meant to be v. tough though; don't overload lol.

Actually, I'm doing the same subjects as you. I wasn't sure about Physics; I don't want to be seen as one dimentional, but I enjoy it and it works. So woohoo!

Thank you for the advice hornblower. And Lucy. And Bono and Corey. And everyone else I've pestered on these forums!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonata)
    Well i am gonna do Maths, Further Maths, chem, biology and physics. i wish i could do russian a-level as well, cause its my native language, but not every 6th form or college has it. By the way das anybody know can you do a-level and not attend the actual lessons?
    Yea, you can teach yourself. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Applied Maths (on my own), Physics and Chemistry. In also get two language freebies because I speak French and Russian. + there's philosophy AS. I'm still alive and breathing so I can't see what the problems are for doing that sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    for doing medcine at oxbridge, what do you think would be better?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths
    Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Maths
    or Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics (only to AS) , Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattytaylor)

I'm doing the first option; all of them would be fine. The third sounds good, but could be tough. You're best contacting admissions people at the college you're interested in for the best advice. Cam. recommended the first route, but I know you can get in without 3 sciences and maths lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattytaylor)

If you don't know what subjects to do for A-level (as in Economics for medicine), then don't go to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    If you don't know what subjects to do for A-level (as in Economics for medicine), then don't go to Oxbridge.
    I didn't know which subjects to do at A-level; I changed my choices three or four times. I chose Chemistry A-level after my GCSE's after my teacher said I should get into Oxford to do it, and finally stopped switching courses in the Spring term. I decided, probably for the wrong reasons, to read for a chemistry degree. I got into Oxford anyway.

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I didn't know which subjects to do at A-level; I changed my choices three or four times. I chose Chemistry A-level after my GCSE's after my teacher said I should get into Oxford to do it, and finally stopped switching courses in the Spring term. I decided, probably for the wrong reasons, to read for a chemistry degree. I got into Oxford anyway.

J.
    And I bet you'll have fun doing a subject, which your chemistry teacher likes. Get over it, mummy won't be there all the time to tell you what to do. Sometimes you've got to think for yourself and spending 3 years in University is definitely something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone always knows everything for certain- the point of such forums is to help, not criticise uncertainty. It's quite okay to be flexible, and it takes a brave man to admit when he doesn't know and ask another. It's a trait I respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    And I bet you'll have fun doing a subject, which your chemistry teacher likes. Get over it, mummy won't be there all the time to tell you what to do. Sometimes you've got to think for yourself and spending 3 years in University is definitely something to think about.
    Four years, actually! I don't mind the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I took three sci and maths without any idea what i was gonna do, but then i realsied i wanted to do chem, and go into durham to do it for 4 yrs also

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.