The Student Room Group

Physics vs further maths difficulty

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some help on this decision I have to make. I take bio, chem, math, further math. I am a few months into the fm course but want to switch to physics. In the long run, what is harder: three sciences and maths OR maths, further maths and two sciences? Any reply would be greatly appreciated as I do have to decide quickly. Thanks so much.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Fermat42647
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some help on this decision I have to make. I take bio, chem, math, further math. I am a few months into the fm course but want to switch to physics. In the long run, what is harder: three sciences and maths OR maths, further maths and two sciences? Any reply would be greatly appreciated as I do have to decide quickly. Thanks so much.

Hiya,

I'm a 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster Uni and I started year 12 doing maths, furthermaths, physics, econ and psychology and found I was achieving mid-level grades due to the number of subjects I was doing and due to the FM course being too challenging for me by the time I started year 13. What helped me make my decision to drop psychology and FM was finding out what I wanted to study at uni and seeing what a-levels were necessary / what I should be putting my effort into.
I think in terms of your decision, if you're just interested in the difficulty then you can find course outlines for both FM and physics online on your respective exam board websites an compare them to see what you would enjoy / find easier. Personally, I found the physics a-level easier than FM mainly because I enjoyed the content and was willing to learn it and found FM really challenging as there was a lot of content and I found some concepts hard to grasp. Also, you can speak to your teachers to get an idea of what past students may have preferred / if they have a course outline to share with you so you know what content they will cover.

I hope this helps and if you have any other queries, feel free to ask!
--Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Fermat42647

Have two daughters who have done the alevels. So eldest physics at lancaster 4th year. She took Maths, FM Physics and Chemistry and EPQ. That was plenty hard enough. FM she did find hard, but glad she kept it on because it helped her first year to be easier. There were plenty of students who had not taken FM in the first year of the degree and they bring it up to speed for them, so FM is not essential, but is a good steping stone.
Youngest - not a physicist, but starting zoo biology next year and did the biology alevel. Having done this myself I thought id help go through the modules in the book (OCR) and also watch all the you tube videos and wow the content is a lot. far much more than I ever did it. She also found it quite bulky in content to remember.

5 alevels is a lot, so you might want to think about the best way to go.
You could do the 4 alevels, but if you are going to do physics, i wouldnt do bio, phys and chem. not unless you want to do something like medicine. Bio is not much use for physics degree. So that ends up with phys, chem, maths and FM.
You can then also drop the FM to be phys, maths and chemistry. so its 3 alevels. If you are really not getting on with FM, I would have phys chem and maths, unless you really really like biology and still not sure on what path you want to take degree wise then its not worth keeping.

Quick Reply

Latest