The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 1
my brothers just graduated from loughborogh.
the nightlife in the towns not too bad, its quite a student town so theres lots of bars and good deals.
also the stufent union is meant to be one of the best in the county.

but its also easy enoughto go out elsewhere too. notingham is a 10min shuttle train away that runs into the night.

i think if you go there you wouldnt not have a good time, just dont show up expecting the nightlife of a place like manchester or something!
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
i have a couple of mates in loughborough. initially my friends said the nightlife wasn't the best, but then they eventually found some good clubs in the town centre. I went to visit him, and the SU is very good, I'm sure it had 3 huge rooms with bars etc..and it was pretty much packed(it was an AU night)

But yeah nottingham and even leceister are near by.
Reply 3
I applied to Loughborough but it was put off by the lack of a city feel, which is why i chose Nottingham in the end. I loved the campus at lboro, and the Union is excellent. You will find in 'quieter' unis, Warwick for example, that the Union tends to be excellent, with lots on. However in more city based unis the students tend to go out into the city. I preferred to have this option, although as Starstrike has said Nottingham is still very close by for you, and there's no reason you can't go out and sample the nightlife there if you get bored of the variety in lboro. xx
Reply 4
thx guys, i intially wanted to go to manchester but thy've stopped doin the course!! gutted. any more views on loughbourgh b4 i go to see it myself?
I think Loughborough is really nice... my friend Kat has been there for a year and is having the time of her life. She couldn't recommend it highly enough to me :smile:
:> i have just been speaking to a boy from your college:smile: called carl. i told him about tsr.. hopefully he'll join :confused:..
Reply 7
Bonjour my fellows and fellasses,

I have just graduated from Loughborough and I thought that I could be a sounding board if anyone wants to know anything about it. The social life is not as packed as a city uni - as Loughborough is a town uni but it has a pretty cracking nightlife anyhow.

When u apply to Loughborough u need to make sure that u get into the right halls - any of the ones in the student village are awesome - I was in Cayley for 3 yrs and was Hall Chairman in my 2nd yr. Basically the halls organise your freshers week - when i was hall chair we had a 17 day freshers week but they vary from hall to hall. Wherever you are at you will have a fantastic time - when people talk about the "Loughborough Experience" they dont get it much more right.

Basically there are 3 "premier nightspots" in Lufbra - The Union, Echoes and Pulse.

The Union has 4/5 rooms - Cognito, Room 1 and the Piazza are on the bottom floor and Fusion and Bocca Bar are on the top - these are themed bars. Cognito usually plays RnB/Hip hop style stuff and has a saturday night fever style dance floor - the Piazza is where u can chill on some sofas and stand around and chat and listen to music n stuff - Room 1 is the main dance floor where tons of live acts play and has a pretty cool DJ - Fusion u can chill and listen to music and get very trashed - this is the main "drinking" room - Bocca is also a chilled room where it usually plays something a little different everynight - if u want a decent warm up to a night tho - Bocca is your place to go. The best nights are Hey Ewe (Weds) and FND (Fri) where the union is usually packed. Hey ewe is the AU night where most of the societies come down and celebrate their victories/drown their sorrows - it has midnight madness which is all drinks at the bar from 11.30 til 12.30 are £1...which can lead to some awesome drinking sessions...dont usually remember past 12 in the union on a wed night...mainly cheesy music but if u dont like it then u are usually too pissed to care! Fri night is a huge night - again the same kinda stuff but not cheesy tunes...more dancey/chart stuff.

Echoes and Pulse are in town about 10 mins away from campus - both are pretty cool but seem to turn into sweatboxes after midnight... Mon night in Echoes they have the Bar Footsie - basically the prices are changing all night long...u gotta wait til the market crashes...80p a shot! then there is Sat night - but its usually more rammed and tends to have more pikeys in it than a mon night.

Pulse has 2 crazy nights...tues & thurs...the best being on Tues night where everyone hits pulse. There are 2 rooms - both have podiums - but the 1st room is the RnB room and the 2nd room is a cheesy/dance room - quality night - can usually get cheap drinks at the union before heading into town...or hit Vice Versa which is across the road from Pulse.

The nights tend to go like this...

Mon - Echos
Tues - Pulse
Wed - Union
Thurs - Pulse
Fri - Union
Sat - Echos
Sun - rest day!

Also the union is part of the comedy circuit and holds a comedy club on sat night which is usually a good shout before heading into town - it stays on for "Squeeze" where we have had Hed Kandi and a ton of MoS and Radio 1 DJs in...but they tend to not be so busy despite the acts.

hope i have been helpful - just let me know if u want any help concerning stuff.

:smile:
Reply 8
*cringes* *remembers many a drunken night at Pulse* :redface:

Seriously though, Loughborough isn't that bad, just avoid certain places at the weekend, so expensive (I ended up paying £5 for a Smirnoff Ice last time I was in the Unicorn!!)
lufbra rules!! i live in loughborough tho i go to uni at derby vice versa is my favourite place on a thursday night with a visit to barracuda for £1 drinks including VK, Fosters, Stella, smirnoff, etc.

id advise avoiding loughborough on the weekend sooo expensive i usually have 4 b52 shots from barracuda on thursdays to get me wasted (1.50 each) and wash em down with half a fosters and black (50p)
It can be very expensive, and at wekends it is best to hit nottingham, leicester, or if you have to stay in town, the spoons is a good laugh.

The way you enjoy lufbra is entirely up to what you're into. The union has pretty much turned into an R&B and cheese dominated venue, but every week there is a dance night in bocca (part of the union). If you just want to sit and have a drink with mates, there is JC's which is the uni's sports themed pub/bar in the union, and stays the same the whole week thru.

In town, there is Echo's, (chos to the locals) which pretty much exclusivley cheese. Pulse has two rooms that always play R&B (room 1) and cheese (room2). pulse is probably the better of the two atm, with and available choice of music, although can come across as very seedy to the uninitiated, and is home to yokel tartlets.

Vice versa is an up-market bar, with upmarket prices, but over the week has the greatest range of music. Then, off of the high street, you have spoons, news house (cocktail-esque bar, small but with good range of live and dj-ed music) and the orange tree (like news house only bigger and reputed to be a gay bar some nights) all on curzon street...... find the cinema from the high stret and keep walking.

If you're just out for a cheap pissup with mates and not worried about the setting, matts bar is a gem of a find......the uber-seedy centre of lufbra, but cheep and fun.....(pool)table dancing guaranteed!

any more info rqd??? :cool:
funkymonkey
The union has pretty much turned into an R&B and cheese dominated venue, but every week there is a dance night in bocca (part of the union). If you just want to sit and have a drink with mates, there is JC's which is the uni's sports themed pub/bar in the union, and stays the same the whole week thru.

You're forgetting to mention Thursday nights at the Union which is High Voltage.....the music is Indie, Alternative, Rock [Punk/Metal in another room which is called Subversion] and years I've been here Thursdays have been getting stronger and stronger as we've managed to secure better live bands. It's difficult getting decent bands to play at Union as we're in between two most popular cities with well-established lived venues (eg. Nottingham has Rock City, Rescue Rooms and the Social whilst Leicester has The Charlotte). Last year we had The Bluetones, Supergrass, Delays, The Departure, Biffy Clyro!!! It's gonna get better...keep your eyes peeled on Student Union website!!!

Zara :biggrin:
to be fair, stupid question! the nightlife is awesome, and you won't experience it fully unless you're a student there to be honest. the union is totally student run, so it's totally equiped for students. There are 5 main rooms, and each night has something different (best nights are wednesdays or fridays). The town itself has some pretty skank clubs, as in if you go in sober, one of them smells a little funky! hehe, but other than that, the bars in luf are pretty good, and they're cheap.

also, you get your chance to be on totty spotter......

http://www.lborosu.org.uk/toptotty/FND21/pages/DSC04732_jpg.htm

guess who's the loser at the back!

if you're not into drinking, theres plenty of clubs, social societies and sports facilities to use and sign up to at the freshers bazaar.

Any other questions?
If you play an intrument and you're an aspiring singer/songwriter or you fancying a bit of Rock n Roll and wanna be in a band....why not join MUSOC (Musicians Society) Come see ME on the MUSOC Stall at the FRESHERS BAZAAR on SUNDAY OCTOBER 9TH!!!Plug Plug

On the same day you can sign up to other clubs too!!! Freshers Bazaar starts from around 10am and finishes around 4pm. Be sure too wake up the day after the Freshers Ball!!!! Signing up for AU and the sport clubs will be on SATURDAY 8th!!!

Z :biggrin:
Reply 14
devilgirl!!!....big up thursday nights down cuda!!
h19enp
devilgirl!!!....big up thursday nights down cuda!!

Cuda on a Thursday? What? Everyone knows that you DON'T go to Pulse or Cuda on Thursdays BUT YOU GO TO UNION!!! ROCK NIGHTS RULE!!!

Reply 16
hey i want to study economics, and may decide on Loughborough as a choice.

just would like to know anyone who studies economics:

what subjects did u study at A-levels to Bsc Economics at lboro?

what were your GCSE grades (esp. your maths Gcse)?

thanks for any replies!
Reply 17
Akira_Shinoda
Cuda on a Thursday? What? Everyone knows that you DON'T go to Pulse or Cuda on Thursdays BUT YOU GO TO UNION!!! ROCK NIGHTS RULE!!!

Even I know that!! (mainly because I remember spending Thrusday nights there when I was 16 and I assume everyone there is going to be underage:redface:)
Reply 18
Hey
I live in lufbra n the nightlife can be pretty good. Best places to head to are barracuda specially thurs nites, loadsa drinks £1, amber rooms is also quite cheap £1.25 vodka+coke. Phantom does a yellow card so show ur NUS card n ul get money of drinks although can still sometimes b expensive. Vice is prob the best place to end up in, can get very hot so b warned! Echos is also good. Drinks are quite expensive so get wasted b4 u go. Sun nites alot of place have £1 offers on drinks. Pulse can sometimes b full of under age scallies so watch out! If lufbra aint wot u expect then notts or lesta are only 15mins by train. Hope u enjoy :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending