The Student Room Group

Please help ( graphic design uni offers)!!!

Im due to start uni this coming September and have gotten my offers. I have a contextual from Loughborough and an unconditional from NTU which respectively am thinking of firming and having as a backup.

Im so torn though😭 Loughborough is such a great uni overall like in terms if course and awards and work experience, the campus is super pretty but NTU is getting a new design building so a lot of new facilities.

Whats worrying me is that I'd prefer a city university purely because theres a lot more going on and you can kind if get out of that student mindset youd get at a campus uni. The partying and drinking culture is worrying me since I don't think I'd be enjoying it to the extent the uni holds its reputation to.

I'm so so torn between these two, please give me some advice✨🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
This is just from personal experience, but I was in a similar position to you and I ended up choosing the city campus university as it meant I could escape student life a bit easier and relax outside of studying. This was 100000% the correct choice for me as how you feel outside of studying really does have an impact, you will be spending years there so you need to make sure you are going to be happy, and have enough things to keep you motivated outside of studying. Jobs tend to be easier to find as well! Again this is just from personal experience but there isn't a right/wrong answer with this one. Do you have a chance to go and visit both again and see if that helps?
Original post by Alex06andra
Im due to start uni this coming September and have gotten my offers. I have a contextual from Loughborough and an unconditional from NTU which respectively am thinking of firming and having as a backup.
Im so torn though😭 Loughborough is such a great uni overall like in terms if course and awards and work experience, the campus is super pretty but NTU is getting a new design building so a lot of new facilities.
Whats worrying me is that I'd prefer a city university purely because theres a lot more going on and you can kind if get out of that student mindset youd get at a campus uni. The partying and drinking culture is worrying me since I don't think I'd be enjoying it to the extent the uni holds its reputation to.
I'm so so torn between these two, please give me some advice✨🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Hi @Alex06andra ,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

I have been at Loughborough for 2 years now so can give you a bit of insight about Loughborough in general. Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus it has such a strong community feel- I really love this as and you tend to see a lot of people you know. It's hard to describe but there are just nice vibes on campus and everyone is so nice- and as you said it is very pretty! The facilities at Loughborough are amazing- particularly for sport but also for academics (departments and learning spaces) and social aspects. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example, there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here- you can also take a look here at the long list of societies we have to offer. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, cafe's, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend. You do need to bear in mind that Loughborough is a town so can't offer what big cities can. If we fancy a bigger city night out we tend to go to either Nottingham or Leicester on the train as they are both approximately 20 minutes away. The train station isn't far from campus and there is a campus shuttle which goes to the station. Another aspect I like about Loughborough is that it is a very green place so there are really lovely walks I like to go on to get away from my studies.

When it came to me making my decision I spent time comparing the modules that were offered for the course at the different universities I had offers from. I also took into consideration factors I thought were most important to me for example, I wanted to go to a campus university and didn't want to be too far from home so those were big factors for me- but everyone is different! There will be so many different pros and cons to different universities but it is your decision so do what you feel is right and choose where you can imagine yourself for the next three years!

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me :smile:

Alex
Both are good, well regarded courses.

They're building new spaces at NTU because the GD course there is enormous (hundreds of students per year). New facilities are great, but if you have to share them with hundreds of others, they're less useful.

Loughborough is more selective, so the average quality of student will be higher. It's a bit more academic though, whereas NTU is a bit more industry/down to earth.
Loughborough's course is as big or bigger than NTUs according to Discover Uni (185 entrants to Loughborough v 170 to NTU - although that's from a few years back). So either course is going to feel like you're a number not an individual.

I'd be very very wary of any university risking their reputation and breaking the UUK Fair Admissions Code of Practice (https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/what-we-do/policy-and-research/publications/fair-admissions-code-practice ) to give out unconditional offers if you're still sitting your qualifications. It smacks of desperation which usually means that what will come next if they don't recruit huge numbers of students is that staff will be made redundant - definitely not good for the student experience.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Loughborough's course is as big or bigger than NTUs according to Discover Uni (185 entrants to Loughborough v 170 to NTU - although that's from a few years back). So either course is going to feel like you're a number not an individual.
I'd be very very wary of any university risking their reputation and breaking the UUK Fair Admissions Code of Practice (https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/what-we-do/policy-and-research/publications/fair-admissions-code-practice ) to give out unconditional offers if you're still sitting your qualifications. It smacks of desperation which usually means that what will come next if they don't recruit huge numbers of students is that staff will be made redundant - definitely not good for the student experience.

Did you mean: Gloucestershire 'University'?

Definitely one of those places lmao.
Original post by PQ
Interesting. I suspect both courses have enlarged significantly since then. @Loughborough Student Community could you confirm this year's cohort sizes?

Regarding the code of practice, from what i understand creative courses can get around the legalities by saying applicants are accepted on their portfolio, so their grades aren't the only deciding factor. I agree it's a desperate tactic though.
Original post by insidedesigner
Interesting. I suspect both courses have enlarged significantly since then. @Loughborough Student Community could you confirm this year's cohort sizes?

Regarding the code of practice, from what i understand creative courses can get around the legalities by saying applicants are accepted on their portfolio, so their grades aren't the only deciding factor. I agree it's a desperate tactic though.

Yep there's a clause in the code for "applies to a course where admissions decisions have been substantively informed by an interview, audition, or additional application procedures (such as the submission of a portfolio or skills test)" - when it was put together the thinking was that it would be for exceptional applicants not something creative courses would do for every single applicant they made an offer to :frown:

NTU state on their admissions policy page " We will always try to make an offer where possible, usually conditional on achieving tariff points from up to four qualifications. You can find our standard entry criteria on the course pages ." and the course page https://www.ntu.ac.uk/course/art-and-design/ug/ba-hons-graphic-design#entry-requirements makes no mention of them making unconditional offers so it's definitely a recruitment tactic (and therefore likely against the code) rather than a conscious choice to only make unconditional offers to those with exceptional portfolios :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by CCCU Official
This is just from personal experience, but I was in a similar position to you and I ended up choosing the city campus university as it meant I could escape student life a bit easier and relax outside of studying. This was 100000% the correct choice for me as how you feel outside of studying really does have an impact, you will be spending years there so you need to make sure you are going to be happy, and have enough things to keep you motivated outside of studying. Jobs tend to be easier to find as well! Again this is just from personal experience but there isn't a right/wrong answer with this one. Do you have a chance to go and visit both again and see if that helps?

Yeah! I actually have an offer holder day for Loughborough and weirdly an open day for NTU since apparently they don't have offer holder days... bit weird. But I think the only thing thats drawing me to ntu is just that its a city uni so i hope visiting both with kinda set my decision in.
Reply 9
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi @Alex06andra ,
I have been at Loughborough for 2 years now so can give you a bit of insight about Loughborough in general. Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus it has such a strong community feel- I really love this as and you tend to see a lot of people you know. It's hard to describe but there are just nice vibes on campus and everyone is so nice- and as you said it is very pretty! The facilities at Loughborough are amazing- particularly for sport but also for academics (departments and learning spaces) and social aspects. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example, there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here- you can also take a look here at the long list of societies we have to offer. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, cafe's, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend. You do need to bear in mind that Loughborough is a town so can't offer what big cities can. If we fancy a bigger city night out we tend to go to either Nottingham or Leicester on the train as they are both approximately 20 minutes away. The train station isn't far from campus and there is a campus shuttle which goes to the station. Another aspect I like about Loughborough is that it is a very green place so there are really lovely walks I like to go on to get away from my studies.
When it came to me making my decision I spent time comparing the modules that were offered for the course at the different universities I had offers from. I also took into consideration factors I thought were most important to me for example, I wanted to go to a campus university and didn't want to be too far from home so those were big factors for me- but everyone is different! There will be so many different pros and cons to different universities but it is your decision so do what you feel is right and choose where you can imagine yourself for the next three years!
I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me :smile:
Alex

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Honestly I visted Loughborough for an open day in September and absolutely loved it, I guess is just me starting to overthink at this point. It is quite reassuring that it's conveniently quite close to bigger cities so I can go out if I want to. I will be going to an offer holder day so I hope that's gonna set it in for me!
Original post by PQ

Apparently for this upcoming year's cohort they're aiming for no more than 160 students so it is quite competitive so I was so surprised that I ended up getting an offer and a contextual one at that. But yeah for ntu, everyone in my year that applied to a creative course there was offered an unconditional. The work in industry they offer seemed quite good but it's the drinking culture there thats really making me iffy.
Hi @Alex06andra ,
Alex

I do have a quick question though! So when I applied for the course I applied for the normal 3 year one since I didn't know of I wanted to do a placement year or international exchange. Would I still be able to opt for one if those even if it's not integrated? No worries if you're unsure!
Thank you for taking the time to reply! Honestly I visted Loughborough for an open day in September and absolutely loved it, I guess is just me starting to overthink at this point. It is quite reassuring that it's conveniently quite close to bigger cities so I can go out if I want to. I will be going to an offer holder day so I hope that's gonna set it in for me!
Hi @Alex06andra ,

No problem at all!

I hope you enjoy the offer holder day and I hope it helps make your decision. :smile:

If you have any questions after your visit please feel free to ask.

Alex
I do have a quick question though! So when I applied for the course I applied for the normal 3 year one since I didn't know of I wanted to do a placement year or international exchange. Would I still be able to opt for one if those even if it's not integrated? No worries if you're unsure!
Hi @Alex06andra ,

Usually it is very easy to switch onto the placement pathway midway through the course- I did this for my course! Obviously I don't do the same course but Loughborough really encourage placement years so I don't think that would be in issue. I changed mine in the last semester of second year so I was very late! I know it is far off but a top tip that I learnt when I changed my course was if you have student finance you have to let them know of this change also.

I hope that helps :smile:

Alex
Hi @Alex06andra ,
Usually it is very easy to switch onto the placement pathway midway through the course- I did this for my course! Obviously I don't do the same course but Loughborough really encourage placement years so I don't think that would be in issue. I changed mine in the last semester of second year so I was very late! I know it is far off but a top tip that I learnt when I changed my course was if you have student finance you have to let them know of this change also.
I hope that helps :smile:
Alex

That's so good! I was honestly so worried that I would not be able to take on placement, thank you so much for clearing it up for me :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest