The Student Room Group

Sheffield or Loughborough Uni for psychology?

Hello to anyone reading this!
I'm in a dilemma between Loughborough and Sheffield Uni. I will explain why, and just for context I'm not really interested in night life so I'm looking for somewhere with nice scenery.
Sheffield:
- Right next to peak district + more green spaces so I'm guessing better scenery? Tbh I haven't seen much of the scenery around Loughborough but I haven't heard great things.
- Better rep for psychology (domestic and internationally) so I'm assuming better employability
- New accomodation
- Houses probably much cheaper as Loughborough is pretty small
- Better student union/societies

Loughborough:
- Better course
- Sports-heavy

As you can see, Sheffield outweighs Loughborough in overall pros, but many people say to prioritise course so I'm not really sure what to think. Please let me know your thoughts!
Just to add, I'm likely to go on to study at Masters and hopefully PhD level.
Original post by gustiernan
I'm in a dilemma between Loughborough and Sheffield Uni. I will explain why, and just for context I'm not really interested in night life so I'm looking for somewhere with nice scenery.
Sheffield:
- Right next to peak district + more green spaces so I'm guessing better scenery? Tbh I haven't seen much of the scenery around Loughborough but I haven't heard great things.
- Better rep for psychology (domestic and internationally) so I'm assuming better employability
- New accomodation

Loughborough:
- Better course
- Sports-heavy

As you can see, Sheffield outweighs Loughborough in overall pros, but many people say to prioritise course so I'm not really sure what to think. Please let me know your thoughts!

Go with your heart and you will succeed regardless of instituion
Reply 2
Original post by TWaynefromthe9
Go with your heart and you will succeed regardless of instituion

But my heart is telling me both :<
Sheffield:
- New accomodation

Loughborough:
- Better course
- Sports-heavy

Hi @gustiernan ,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

I currently study Psychology at Loughborough so may be able to help 🙂

The rankings for Psychology at Loughborough are high. I personally really enjoy the course here as you have the opportunity to learn many aspects of Psychology through many different modules. If you haven't already I would recommend taking a look at 'What you'll Study' on the course page to see the range of modules you will study. You can also choose some optional modules, so you can tailor the course to be what you want. I found it useful to compare these modules with other Universities to see which suited me best. If you are considering doing a placement/year abroad Loughborough is great as they offer so much support in searching and securing a placement/year abroad. I found this particularly helpful.

Some insight into Loughborough in general. Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus it has such a strong community feel- I really love this as it is not as overwhelming as being in a big city. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, cafe's, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend.

Similar to you I am not too interested in the nightlife so I spend a lot of time at the weekends going on nice walks around Loughborough- there are some great spots (with lovely scenery). My favourites are walks around Beacon Hill and the canal- I would recommend having a search to see what is nearby.

Sport is also great at Loughborough- the facilities are amazing. But, if sport is something that's not for you don't let it put you off as there is such a balance. For example, I play netball and have made such good friends through it but I have met other friends through my course and my accommodation etc.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do ask!

Alex
Sheffield:
- New accomodation

Loughborough:
- Better course
- Sports-heavy

Hi gustiernan,
My name is Sofia and I am currently a 3rd Year Biochemistry student at the University of Sheffield. Therefore, I can't directly comment on the psychology course other than the fact that I have a few friends who take that course and they all enjoy it.

However, I can tell you about my experience of Sheffield as a whole. Sheffield is great in terms of there being lots to do, but also lots of green spaces to relax in. My particular favourites are the Peak District but also Endcliffe Park, Weston Park and Bolehills. The university also has an award winning student's union with over 300 societies and Sports teams to get involved in. This is a great way to make friends and find like-minded people at university. Many of these societies also plan trips out to the Peak District if that would be something you are interested in.

What I like most about being a student at Sheffield is that the university has a very friendly atmosphere overall, which is what initially made me decide to go to Sheffield when I was choosing my uni. I would also say that visiting an open day/ offer holder day can be very helpful and informative. There's a bit of information about them here: (Open days | Undergraduate study | The University of Sheffield).

I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to ask me any further questions you many have :smile:
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry Student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending