The Student Room Group

IB Students: What are your extended essay topics?

Hello everyone!

Everyone in my school hand to hand in their Extended Essays in October. Just out of curiousity I was wondering what all of your topics were.

Mine was in history and was a comparitive study between Japanese and Chinese junior high school history textbooks. I focused on their depictions of Japanese aggression in China 1895-1937. It was really fascinating. It was especially fun looking for so-called 'bias' in the textbooks. In 2001 there was a Japanese Textbook Scandal in which Japanese Right-wing professors published a textbook that was took a pro-Japanese, pro-fascist stance. It was amazing reading the partiality in that. Almost all of the Japanese textbook distributed in schools now tend to show remorse for the Japanese aggression in China though.

MOD Edit
Please ask questions about your extended in this thread:
The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Please use this thread ONLY to post titles of your extened essays

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Language in Lolita - Nabokov's way of seducing the reader (for English B HL)
Reply 2
Mine's in english, symbolism in Victorian Poetry
Reply 3
I'm at uni doing my 10,000 word dissertation. I'm doing it in history on the motivations of the conspiritors that took part in the bomb plot of July 1944 to assassinate Hitler.
Reply 4
LOL, Im feel like an outsider here.

I doing an investigation on the interaction between the current and repulsive force when lifting an aluminium ring using electromagnetically induced levitation.

Should not be to difficult for you to figure which subject it is...
Reply 5
hey, im just begining to think about my extened essay, cos im in the 1st year of the IB, i am proably going to do it in ITGS, but i want to include sumthin of economics in it too, got any ideas? thanks..
Reply 6
~*Jemma*~
hey, im just begining to think about my extened essay, cos im in the 1st year of the IB, i am proably going to do it in ITGS, but i want to include sumthin of economics in it too, got any ideas? thanks..

what is ITGS?
Reply 7
My Extended Essay title was: "To what extent are Shakespeare's plays universal in time and setting with special reference to Matthew Warchus' production of the Winter's Tale". I wrote it for Theatre Arts and gave research of practical, theoretical and interpretational nature. I especially referred to the Winter's Tale production because it was set in America in the 1950s.
Reply 8
Mine somehow feels a bit out of place, it is about the Relationship Between Soil Properties and the Development of Grape Vines,their Yield and Wine Quality...it involves a bit of winetasting!
Reply 9
“The Pen’s view of the Sword”: Seamus Heaney’s response to “The Troubles” in Northern Ireland in Wintering Out and North”
Reply 10
Um.... I'm really new to this site and this is my first post so here goes...
I'm in IB1 this year and I've only THOUGHT of my Extended Essay. I was hoping to do it on something very medical since that is my field of interest. My question to you guys... would the topic of Cancer be too broad to tackle in 4000 words? :frown:
Reply 11
Sabrina
Um.... I'm really new to this site and this is my first post so here goes...
I'm in IB1 this year and I've only THOUGHT of my Extended Essay. I was hoping to do it on something very medical since that is my field of interest. My question to you guys... would the topic of Cancer be too broad to tackle in 4000 words? :frown:

Yea, you'd have to really narrow it down, plus it must be written in an IB subject, be that Chemistry, Biology or whatever.
Reply 12
mine is in history. i know that it will be something like an analysis of soviet russia in accordance to marxist principles, but i still have to narrow it down :frown:
Reply 13
_EMMA_
what is ITGS?

ITGS isInformation Technology in a Global Society, we basically study how computers and other new technologies are being used in the world today and how they are improving or unimproving it...
Reply 14
does anyone know when the extended essays have to be recieved by the ibo? Because i get the feeling that my school has been really slack about it...we only hand them in tomorrow! I'm actually in the process of putting the finishing touches on mine as we speak, the title is "Tennyson’s Pessimistic attitude towards the attainment of love as revealed in “Come into the Garden Maud”, “Eleänore” and “Lilian”. Is my school the only slack one?!
Reply 15
grace
does anyone know when the extended essays have to be recieved by the ibo? Because i get the feeling that my school has been really slack about it...we only hand them in tomorrow! I'm actually in the process of putting the finishing touches on mine as we speak, the title is "Tennyson’s Pessimistic attitude towards the attainment of love as revealed in “Come into the Garden Maud”, “Eleänore” and “Lilian”. Is my school the only slack one?!

They have to be sent to the IBO tommorow, yea.
Reply 16
kildare
They have to be sent to the IBO tommorow, yea.

they have to be SENT tomorrow? My teacher is sending them on wednesday...? He just wants them in for tomorow?!
Mine is in Visual Arts, "Anti-Essentialism and the Comics Definition Debate." Pretty cool topic, looked up various critical analyses and definitions of the medium, said that semantic boundaries restrict the possiblities of any medium so that while all have some insight to offer, no definition is wholly correct.
Reply 18
grace
they have to be SENT tomorrow? My teacher is sending them on wednesday...? He just wants them in for tomorow?!

Aye, I was wrong. Sorry.
Reply 19
i have to do a 'mini extended essay'...if you ask me is a total contradiction in terms. not sure on the topic yet tho!!

Latest