The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
It's on Alice in Wonderland. Self-taught? Now that is interesting. How are you managing?
Reply 921
It's on Alice in Wonderland. Self-taught? Now that is interesting. How are you managing?

Well I just graduated. Self-taught is challenging because you get to teach yourself the books and literary theory. I liked reading the books and writing lenghty essays analysing each miniscule detail (+25 pages per book). The final work amounted to over 200 pages of literary analysis. It helped me a lot for english A1 where we never did any commentary practice.
Reply 922
that's amazing. congratulations :smile:
better than my school's English HL class where they were made to analyze poems line by line..
Reply 924
United Empire Loyalists in UC... something or other
Reply 925
Can certainly agree with the :eek: for HL Maths, its complete death!!!
Reply 926
Hey every one my extend essay is in history and the title is "Why Could White Minority Rule in Rhodesia not be Sustained". This is very interesting and gives a deeper understanding to the current Zimbabwe situation. Reading a good book called "Triumph or Tragedy: From Rhodesia to Zimbabwe" by Miles Hudson . If any of you are interested in African history you should read this book.
Reply 927
I'm planning on doing mine in biology, but up to now I've been unlucky in sorting out a question for it. It's driving me crazy. :confused:
TeamFTW
I'm planning on doing mine in biology, but up to now I've been unlucky in sorting out a question for it. It's driving me crazy. :confused:

wat area of biology interests you?
I'm doing mine on physical fitness and reaction time (don't want to give too many details, sorry). The due date is a few weeks away and I'm done with most of it but I had been thinking about something: my experiments involved 20 people, divided into two age groups of 10 people each...I was thinking whether I could add another age group and make it 30 people instead, it wouldn't be a hard task - I could slide it in my analysis/evalution portion without much hassle, my only problem is this; will it be worth it? I only thought of doing it because my supervisor once said something about IB examiners being more pleased if the experiments had been done on the largest scale possible but if that isn't guaranteed I'd much rather not waste my time and concentrate on other stuff, since my mock exams start in 2-3 weeks...can someone point me in the right direction please? I'm completely confused as to what I should do
I am thinking of doing my essay on the conflicts aroused in Nigeria (more specifically the Niger Delta) due to the gas/oil. Thoughts??
Reply 931
I'm new to this site (and IB actually). I should already have written an outline for my topic and "attempted" an introduction or something but I have yet to choose a topic. I narrowed it down to 4 but I have to turn one in tomorrow (along with an outline but forget that). The most coherant one i have: The portrayal of futuristic societies under a totalitarian like goverment in literature throughtout the 1900s (specifically focused on The Giver, Brave New World, and 1984). I'm not exactly sure how to word it, plus I'm still undecided. The other 3 topics are on history and psychology. And I heard most schools don't begin writing their EEs till senior year, ours are begun the summer before junior year. Does it make a difference?
Say I am going to write an essay in english, and I analysed a book. How am I suppose to come up with a research question if all Im doing is analysing? And how am I suppose to find other book sources? (what are the odds of someone else analysing the same book/story as me :s-smilie: )
thishastowork
Say I am going to write an essay in english, and I analysed a book. How am I suppose to come up with a research question if all Im doing is analysing?

you analyse it in relation to something - you can't just analyse with no thesis (well i guess you could but it might be a bit pointless). like, say you want to do something on (it doesn't matter what, just saying) how an author uses imagery to convey thoughts on the importance of natural beauty to life or something. ( you can tell i didn't do an english EE lol). then you analyse it, and pick out the bits which you think are important to what your thesis/research question/title is.

also, if you want you can do poetry, or compare two works by the same author or different authors or other things.
Friscomiss
I am thinking of doing my essay on the conflicts aroused in Nigeria (more specifically the Niger Delta) due to the gas/oil. Thoughts??

which subject would you write it for?
The Extended Essay is a research paper, so it has to be kind of personal. You have to be learning something and come to your own conclusion.

I'm doing mine in English. My topic is: The comparison of the different styles in which Gothic literature can be written through the novels, Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice and A Density of Souls by Christopher Rice, and it’s affects on the reader.

My conclusion is how the gothic style is like a dramatised version of the darker sides of life that we deal with everyday and that's why it can be very enticing but it was mainly based on how it affects me.

I started off wanting to do it in Biology but I found that all the experiments would take way too much time, and the only topics available to do weren't that interesting. You just have to remember that it's only worth 1 and a half points. Don't waste too much time on it. I probably spent twenty-five hours all up. Try to choose a topic you already know a lot about. It makes things so much easier.
Reply 936

I started off wanting to do it in Biology but I found that all the experiments would take way too much time, and the only topics available to do weren't that interesting. You just have to remember that it's only worth 1 and a half points. Don't waste too much time on it. I probably spent twenty-five hours all up. Try to choose a topic you already know a lot about. It makes things so much easier.

Yes please be aware that science experiments take a long time. I did mine in chemical kinetics and it consisted of over 200 hours of labwork. Then came the Oxford interview and suddenly the whole semester had passed without really doing much studying.
Reply 937
hey I am trying to do it on The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand....Can ne1 who has read it help me in choosing a good topic...pleazz
Reply 938
I'm doing English A1 - "To what extent is Fay Weldon's writing anti-marital?"
First draft to be handed in on Monday.:s-smilie:
Reply 939
Hey guys.
This is my first post.
I'm trying to write one on physics, and my topic was originally going to be calculating the orbit of an asteroid.
Woud this still be feasible if i could get the data somewhere?
(I was going to attend a summer program, but got rjcted ^^)
My new topic is going to be something to do with car safety...but i don't have a clear plan yet. any suggestions?

Latest

Trending

Trending