The Student Room Group

The trouble with P4

Im in a lot of trouble. I took up F maths as a challenge, and that term is an understatement.

In short it seems my S2 went well enough for me to grab an A, and therefore due to other strengths in modules provided S2 and P3 combine to a total of 151/200 or more, I can then use my M1 and M2 for further.

I got 100% on M1, which was fantastic, and M2 im hopeful for 100, but may get just a high A (lol, JUST). But either way that just leaves P4, which for me... is a nightmare.

I took a practise paper yesterday and got 9/75 (I could only attempt 25 marks!)

I have studied complex numbers, series, inequalities, numerical solutions and I have covered half the chapter on second order differentials... But I am still not going to fulfill the modest task of maybe getting a D on P4 to get a further maths A... Its such a shame!!!

Any tips to improve my marks??? Its just I seem to lose out because the questions do not follow the ones in the book for the most part, and are completely random!

I do not have time to even review polar coordinates, but I may try and do first order diffs to scrape maybe a few more marks...

UGH!!! I need to know how many marks an E is!! Please help, anyone!
Reply 1
RobbieC
Im in a lot of trouble. I took up F maths as a challenge, and that term is an understatement.

In short it seems my S2 went well enough for me to grab an A, and therefore due to other strengths in modules provided S2 and P3 combine to a total of 151/200 or more, I can then use my M1 and M2 for further.

I got 100% on M1, which was fantastic, and M2 im hopeful for 100, but may get just a high A (lol, JUST). But either way that just leaves P4, which for me... is a nightmare.

I took a practise paper yesterday and got 9/75 (I could only attempt 25 marks!)

I have studied complex numbers, series, inequalities, numerical solutions and I have covered half the chapter on second order differentials... But I am still not going to fulfill the modest task of maybe getting a D on P4 to get a further maths A... Its such a shame!!!

Any tips to improve my marks??? Its just I seem to lose out because the questions do not follow the ones in the book for the most part, and are completely random!

I do not have time to even review polar coordinates, but I may try and do first order diffs to scrape maybe a few more marks...

UGH!!! I need to know how many marks an E is!! Please help, anyone!

hmmm do u have a graphical calculator? cause then u no polar coordinates, that and .5intr^2 d theta.....
id say do some first order differential equations, its quite easy when u do a few cause its the same method... ie,
make sure its set up rigt ie theres nothing before dy/dx,
then apply the intergrating factor...
times the whole equation by the intergrating factor...
convert the left had side (the one with dy/dx) into y*the intergrating factor...
and intergrate the right

i mean i no it sound long but its once u do it a few times it will be fine

same with second order (which i find easier as theres no intergration needed)
but also look at the revision notes at the top of this page
Reply 2
I dont have a graphical calculator... I did get taught bout 1st order, but swiftly decline in them and NEVER looked at them! So while ive heard about an integrating factor, i couldnt tell u wot it was when its at home...

Damn,I understand complex numbers but the exam has REALLY random questions on them. The only thing im really good at in P4 is newton-raphson, because its methodical and makes sense!

Gah... inequalities never work, because I sketch them, but that gives no accurate answers, so I try the squaring method... and my answers are always wrong!? Why could this be??
Reply 3
Gah... inequalities never work, because I sketch them, but that gives no accurate answers, so I try the squaring method... and my answers are always wrong!? Why could this be??

Do you mean inequalities with modulus signs?
Squaring can then work, or alternatively you can consider the value(s) of x at which each term in the modulus changes sign changes.
The best thing to do really is to get the heinemann book out and work through as many exercises as posisble that contain things you didn't previously know how to do. Push yourself as much as possible today and monday and you can learn a great deal.
I'm sure you'll get your A though, a little worrying is usual.
Reply 4
But squaring DIDNT work before... and getting an A, when I need possibly a 45% in this paper... Im sure my 9/75 wont get me 45%, lol... Im gonna need 30 or more marks, and atm it seems improbable... I dont get it... How is it that I can be so bad at this compared to everything else..?
Reply 5
RobbieC
But squaring DIDNT work before... and getting an A, when I need possibly a 45% in this paper... Im sure my 9/75 wont get me 45%, lol... Im gonna need 30 or more marks, and atm it seems improbable... I dont get it... How is it that I can be so bad at this compared to everything else..?

Post some of the questions you're having problems with. People will map out the steps so you know where you're going wrong.

Latest