The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Oh my, i posted that responce on another forum a few weeks ago. i'm guessing the website has reshuffled its URL's. Il see if i can fix that...

edit: the site no longer displays murders with firearms with a per capita figure. I also have no idea why the US and UK have disappeared from the list on the later link either. Maybe the data used was questionable and unreliable so has been removed.

Anyway, I would assume murders with firearms are more prevalant in the USA, my point being this can be partly attributed to gun legislation.
Reply 61
foxo
Therefore, would you say that robbery or trespassing is a crime that should be paid by death?

No. I would be unlikely to shoot anybody for robbing my home (though I would use my weapon to persuade the offender to sit down and wait for the authorities). Having said that, I would be extremely likely to shoot dead anyone on my property who I reasonably considered to be a threat. My advise would be not to try me.
Reply 62
kizdesai
Oh my, i posted that responce on another forum a few weeks ago. i'm guessing the website has reshuffled its URL's. Il see if i can fix that...

edit: the site no longer displays murders with firearms with a per capita figure. I also have no idea why the US and UK have disappeared from the list on the later link either. Maybe the data used was questionable and unreliable so has been removed.

Anyway, I would assume murders with firearms are more prevalant in the USA, my point being this can be partly attributed to gun legislation.

I think satori made the point earlier that even if guns were banned, americans would just get them from Mexico and Canada, basically the trade would fall out of thier hands.

You can legislate anything, but will the population of the country actually do it? If they legislated alcohol prohibition in the UK, what would most likely happen?
we couldn't ban guns in just america.. if its banned in usa, it should be banned everywhere
Reply 64
djchak
I think satori made the point earlier that even if guns were banned, americans would just get them from Mexico and Canada, basically the trade would fall out of thier hands.

You can legislate anything, but will the population of the country actually do it? If they legislated alcohol prohibition in the UK, what would most likely happen?

Indeed, to clarify: Legalised firearms=higher murder rate, new legislation will do little to change the current culture.
Reply 65
kizdesai
Ah yes darwinism. I think you are a little harsh Lawz, as a lot of the people here are young and often give ill-thought out responces which don't necessarily reflect there true position but are said for effect or to create animosity. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you recently advising Vienna to 'ignore' other peoples gross ignorance. I especially don't think wishing death on him is a good use of your time. :smile:

She PMed me suggesting I shoudl ignore the guy, so I simply reminded her of her own wisdom. And Wisdom it was ... some people simply fail to grasp the meaning and logic of your point, and as such cant provide a cogent debate, or rebuttal ... I need to learn to save my keyboard, and simply ignore it.

I admit he may be young, but saying that essentially, we should hope for people to kill themselves simply because they are American, is bigotted, and apt to be the childhood views of the next hitler, Osama, or in general any paranoid xenophobe. The less of them the better.
Reply 66
djchak

Don't be ridiculous. Canada and Mexico both have extremely tight gun control laws.

And you can't legislate "anything" in the US because we have an entrenched constitution which is difficult to screw around with.
Reply 67
kizdesai
Indeed, to clarify: Legalised firearms=higher murder rate, new legislation will do little to change the current culture.

Indeed to clarify. Conceiled carry states = lower crime rates.
Reply 68
Howard
Don't be ridiculous. Canada and Mexico both have extremely tight gun control laws.

And you can't legislate "anything" in the US because we have an entrenched constitution which is difficult to screw around with.

You cant legislate on constitutional issues?
Reply 69
Lawz-
You cant legislate on constitutional issues?

I was referring to those entrenched rights guaranteed under the constitution which we both know are very difficult to alter.
Reply 70
Howard
I was referring to those entrenched rights guaranteed under the constitution which we both know are very difficult to alter.

Indeed, though it doesnt mean its wrong to say "one cna legislate on anything".

Pedant I know .. but hey .. what else do I have to live for?
Reply 71
Lawz-

Pedant I know .. but hey .. what else do I have to live for?

Not much. Take your own life. :biggrin:
Reply 72
kizdesai
Indeed, to clarify: Legalised firearms=higher murder rate

Why then does Switzerland (with compulsory firearms ownership for males of age) have such a low murder rate compared to many countries with restrictions on gun ownership?
Reply 73
I don't know. I was just pointing out a correlation I expect to have a lot of substance. If you read back I also continually write 'contributing factor'
No, but then it doesn't really concern me, at all.
Iz the Wiz
After hearing the issue debated my whole life, & trying to understand it, & seeing the data on American violence, I've come to the conclusion expressed by many already---that legal gun ownership is NOT the cause of America's high murder rate.

Did anyone see Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine? It was an interesting movie because it concluded by making no case for anything whatsoever (except tormenting Charlton Heston), since it never had the balls to address American criminal culture. Its little cartoon "history" of the U.S. and guns was one of the most fallacious things I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, too many people have the same preconceptions as Michael Moore: that the problem is these gun nuts in the NRA rallying for Heston and stockpiling assault weapons. The fact is that these people are not responsible for the American murder rate. Look at any statistics, any records you want, and you'll find that the gun culture, the NRA, the Southern rifle-rack-on-your-pickup mentality---all these have nothing to do with actual gun violence. Gun violence in America is part of America's criminal culture, which stems from an underworld legacy going back many generations. And the guns involved aren't legal as a rule, but are illegally obtained through the drug trade. Making guns illegal won't substantially lower our murder rate.

:congrats:

Haha, I nearly choked on my popcorn when Heston began to speak the truth, "Canada doesn't have the same ethnic mix", or something. Michael Moore of course lied outright and said Canada was just as diverse. Both bottled out and wouldn't simply state the straightforward fact - it's race.

Factor out Blacks and Hispanics and Americans are incredibly non-violent for a country with such a massive gun ownership. It's dishonest to suggest that Americans are violent. It's honest to state that Blacks and Hispanics as a group are incredibly violent.

People who pretend it's racist to be honest about racial differences have serious fears to face. Race isn't a social construct, society is a racial construct - easily observed if you have an open mind.
Reply 76
ArthurOliver

Haha, I nearly choked on my popcorn when Heston began to speak the truth, "Canada doesn't have the same ethnic mix", or something. Michael Moore of course lied outright and said Canada was just as diverse. Both bottled out and wouldn't simply state the straightforward fact - it's race.

Factor out Blacks and Hispanics and Americans are incredibly non-violent for a country with such a massive gun ownership. It's dishonest to suggest that Americans are violent. It's honest to state that Blacks and Hispanics as a group are incredibly violent.

People who pretend it's racist to be honest about racial differences have serious fears to face. Race isn't a social construct, society is a racial construct - easily observed if you have an open mind.

Well, I don't go for the black/Hispanic theory. It ignores America's huge murder rate throughout the Prohibition era, when it was Irish & Italians & other "white ethnics" committing all the murders.
Reply 77
ArthurOliver

Go to Toronto - there is a greater ethnic mix there than 95% of US cities.

Vancouver too...

Urban Canada is VERY diverse.

Fact is you get massive violence from the poor population in many countries. Some are exclusively white, some not, some mainly not... its not a matter of race per se, its a matter of circumstance. I have a number of very good, very well educated, very wealthy, black friends all of whom are placid, kind, polite and genuinely good people. None have greater violent tendancies than my white friends, my asian firends, or my indian friends.
Yea Canada's really as diverse as the US and my fat aunt means all aunts are fat... :rolleyes:

From my White Nationalist perspective the race/crime figures (which are pretty well follow a global pattern, whites everywhere acting like whites, blacks and asians like b and a) are quite uninteresting.

I want to live in a white society not because Blacks are too criminal or the Chinese aren't criminal enough, I just want a break from the bu****it, and a homeland for everyone. One of the main reasons I'm sick to death of multiculturalism is the ridiculous contortions and lies that are apparently necessary to hold the unnatural monster together.

The Michael Moore/Charlton Heston pant-wetting contest, the lies about white racism, the anti-white racism.

I want a society without that crap, but the non-whites are never gonna stop making those kinds of demands, and the white elites are never gonna stop offering them - they are a necessary feature of life in a state composed of many different rival and antagonistic nationalities. Those states crumble. Thank f**k.

But there'll always be an England. :smile:
Reply 79
ArthurOliver
Yea Canada's really as diverse as the US and my fat aunt means all aunts are fat... :rolleyes:

I said URBAN Canada.... which it is. Ever been to Toronto or Vancouver?

ArthurOliver
From my White Nationalist perspective the race/crime figures (which are pretty well follow a global pattern, whites everywhere acting like whites, blacks and asians like b and a) are quite uninteresting.

Go to Eastern Europe - youll find that Whites are responsible for all the crime.

ArthurOliver
I want to live in a white society not because Blacks are too criminal or the Chinese aren't criminal enough, I just want a break from the bu****it, and a homeland for everyone. One of the main reasons I'm sick to death of multiculturalism is the ridiculous contortions and lies that are apparently necessary to hold the unnatural monster together.

Your point is about culture then - not skin colour per se.

Latest

Trending

Trending