The Student Room Group

"Empty adjectives"

Just revising for the AS English exam, going through lang and gender and Robin Lakoff but I don't understand what an empty adjective is :rolleyes: . Does anyone?

Thanks
Reply 1
From what I can google up, it sounds a lot like either:

Most likely: 1) Meaningless adjectives that are only used because they sound good [the link calls them "difficult to define"]
or
2) Subjective adjectives (whether they are true is based on one's opinion)

(Though you probably know this, some examples are "gorgeous", "wonderful", "dear", "divine".)
Reply 2
Original post by birdsong1
From what I can google up, it sounds a lot like either:

Most likely: 1) Meaningless adjectives that are only used because they sound good [the link calls them "difficult to define"]
or
2) Subjective adjectives (whether they are true is based on one's opinion)

(Though you probably know this, some examples are "gorgeous", "wonderful", "dear", "divine".)

Would pretty be defined as an empty adjective? Or would it not? :/
Reply 3
Original post by Kar09
Would pretty be defined as an empty adjective? Or would it not? :/

I'm not sure about pretty as it has got a fairly specific meaning. I think the empty adjectives that Lakoff was referring to were (like the previous poster says) ones that were generally positive and approving, but vague in meaning. Hmm, I'm starting to think you could argue a case for pretty being one of those too now...
I thought it was like the difference in concrete and abstract nouns, so an empty adjective is abstract and not a real 'thing' like "lovely" or "scary" rather than "hot" or "wet" etc (more open to interpretation?).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending