The Student Room Group

How is the theme of supernatural presented in Macbeth? ESSAY FEEDBACK

Could anyone give any feedback on this AQA GCSE essay I wrote, 'How is the theme of supernatural presented in Macbeth?'.

The supernatural is important throughout Macbeth, as it was in Jacobean society, and is especially prevalent through the Witches and Lady Macbeth.

Shakespeare first presents supernatural through the witches chant that fair is foul, and foul is fair’. The fact they talk in rhyme makes them seem strange, and links to theme of supernatural. A Jacobean audience would fear this supernatural behaviour, putting them on edge from the start of the play. The witches omniscience is mysterious and links to to the supernatural. For example, the deception in ‘fair is foul’ foreshadows the whole plot in that Macbeth deceives Duncan in order to be king. Furthermore the noun ‘foul’ may foreshadow Macbeth’s descent into tyranny and the guilt suffered by both him and Lady Macbeth. This ability to predict future events, would certainly lead audiences believe the witches were speaking to the supernatural. Therefore the theme of supernatural is presented through the witches tone and omniscience.

The supernatural is also presented through Lady Macbeth talking to the evil spirits, where she demands take my milk for gall’. The fact Lady Macbeth is talking to spirits is a clear link to the supernatural. The fact she believes they can take her feminine characteristics (‘milk’) shows how powerful the supernatural were seen in Jacobean society. Furthermore the noun ‘gall’ may represent how evil and harmful the supernatural was seen. The imperative ‘take’ may also be Shakespeare referencing the hash treatment of those suspected to be involved with the supernatural, for example witches were often burned alive. Therefore the supernatural is presented as powerful and feared through Lady Macbeth’s soliloquy, in which she interacts with evil spirits.

The writer later presents the supernatural through Macbeth’s visions, in which he questions Is this a dagger which I see before me’. The fact Macbeth is seeing a floating dagger is a clear form of the supernatural. The fact the supernatural is essentially pressing Macbeth to murder Duncan, is Shakespeare purposefully highlighting how evil the supernatural is as it is not only telling him to kill - but kill a king. This would of been especially shocking in Jacobean society, as Kings would have been seen as untouchable and protected by the divine right of kings. Furthermore the fact Macbeth has, here, been driven to insanity by a supernatural prophecy, further emphases the power of the supernatural. Therefore the supernatural is again presented as powerful through its control over Macbeth.

Shakespeare finally presents the supernatural through Lady Macbeth’s madness where she cries Out, damned spot! Out, I say!’. The adjective ‘damned’ suggests Lady Macbeth will be subjected to eternal punishment in hell for her actions. This is especially ironic, as she called on the supernatural yet is now being punished by it. Jacobean audiences would most likely see this as punishment from god. The repetition of the verb ‘out’ reflects Jacobean views of supernatural, as it was something feared and therefore many wanted it gone. The phrase ‘I say’, also makes her seem desperate compared to the omnipotent supernatural. Therefore the supernatural is presented as vindictive and unwanted - but of course powerful.

Overall, Shakespeare presents the supernatural as omnipotent throughout Macbeth. Through its control over Macbeth’s future, ability to take Lady Macbeth’s ‘milk’ and by the end ability to drive Lady Macbeth to madness. However Shakespeare does also try to represent the Jacobean view of supernatural, in that it was unwanted - most likely to appease audiences at the time.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tobynorth_
Could anyone give any feedback on this AQA GCSE essay I wrote, 'How is the theme of supernatural presented in Macbeth?'.

The supernatural is important throughout Macbeth, as it was in Jacobean society, and is especially prevalent through the Witches and Lady Macbeth.

Shakespeare first presents supernatural through the witches chant that fair is foul, and foul is fair’. The fact they talk in rhyme makes them seem strange, and links to theme of supernatural. A Jacobean audience would fear this supernatural behaviour, putting them on edge from the start of the play. The witches omniscience is mysterious and links to to the supernatural. For example, the deception in ‘fair is foul’ foreshadows the whole plot in that Macbeth deceives Duncan in order to be king. Furthermore the noun ‘foul’ may foreshadow Macbeth’s descent into tyranny and the guilt suffered by both him and Lady Macbeth. This ability to predict future events, would certainly lead audiences believe the witches were speaking to the supernatural. Therefore the theme of supernatural is presented through the witches tone and omniscience.

The supernatural is also presented through Lady Macbeth talking to the evil spirits, where she demands take my milk for gal’. The fact Lady Macbeth is talking to spirits is a clear link to the supernatural. The fact she believes they can take her feminine characteristics (‘milk’) shows how powerful the supernatural were seen in Jacobean society. Furthermore the noun ‘gal’ may represent how evil and harmful the supernatural was seen. The imperative ‘take’ may also be Shakespeare referencing the hash treatment of those suspected to be involved with the supernatural, for example witches were often burned alive. Therefore the supernatural is presented as powerful and feared through Lady Macbeth’s soliloquy, in which she interacts with evil spirits.

The writer later presents the supernatural through Macbeth’s visions, in which he questions Is this a dagger which I see before me’. The fact Macbeth is seeing a floating dagger is a clear form of the supernatural. The fact the supernatural is essentially pressing Macbeth to murder Duncan, is Shakespeare purposefully highlighting how evil the supernatural is as it is not only telling him to kill - but kill a king. This would of been especially shocking in Jacobean society, as Kings would have been seen as untouchable and protected by the divine right of kings. Furthermore the fact Macbeth has, here, been driven to insanity by a supernatural prophecy, further emphases the power of the supernatural. Therefore the supernatural is again presented as powerful through its control over Macbeth.

Shakespeare finally presents the supernatural through Lady Macbeth’s madness where she cries Out, damned spot! Out, I say!’. The adjective ‘damned’ suggests Lady Macbeth will be subjected to eternal punishment in hell for her actions. This is especially ironic, as she called on the supernatural yet is now being punished by it. Jacobean audiences would most likely see this as punishment from god. The repetition of the verb ‘out’ reflects Jacobean views of supernatural, as it was something feared and therefore many wanted it gone. The phrase ‘I say’, also makes her seem desperate compared to the omnipotent supernatural. Therefore the supernatural is presented as vindictive and unwanted - but of course powerful.

Overall, Shakespeare presents the supernatural as omnipotent throughout Macbeth. Through its control over Macbeth’s future, ability to take Lady Macbeth’s ‘milk’ and by the end ability to drive Lady Macbeth to madness. However Shakespeare does also try to represent the Jacobean view of supernatural, in that it was unwanted - most likely to appease audiences at the time.

Your essay is really good - whats your predicted grade? I'm assuming its at least an 8
I can't really comment when I myself am quite iffy with English but normally I wouldn't have my first sentence to be a quote - I'd usually start with a topic sentence. However, that's just the structure I like to follow and your points are quite clear without the topic sentence anyway.
good luck in your exams
I won't be able to say how good it is in accordance to GCSE level as I'm not sure what the AOs being targeted for this question are.

However this is a very good answer and even in A-level would be considered to be a clear and concise answer that effectively links back to the question. The only difference with A-level is that there is more detail.

Overall good answer. Little tip - stop repeating 'the fact'
Reply 3
Original post by P.S.
Your essay is really good - whats your predicted grade? I'm assuming its at least an 8
I can't really comment when I myself am quite iffy with English but normally I wouldn't have my first sentence to be a quote - I'd usually start with a topic sentence. However, that's just the structure I like to follow and your points are quite clear without the topic sentence anyway.
good luck in your exams

No! Only a 6, but my teacher is a bitt... Yeah, I see what you mean. But that structure is litereally taught everyone at GCSE (PEEDL) :tongue:

I suppose I could change it to be more original, but atm not too worried about that!

Thanks for the feedback though!
Reply 4
Original post by bloodygoth
I won't be able to say how good it is in accordance to GCSE level as I'm not sure what the AOs being targeted for this question are.

However this is a very good answer and even in A-level would be considered to be a clear and concise answer that effectively links back to the question. The only difference with A-level is that there is more detail.

Overall good answer. Little tip - stop repeating 'the fact'

Oh thanks, yh I will! :biggrin: Here's the mark scheme used to grade the AQA Lit papers, http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-87021-SMS.PDF. Obviously a diff question, but same AOs apply.
Oh thanks, yh I will! :biggrin: Here's the mark scheme used to grade the AQA Lit papers, http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-87021-SMS.PDF. Obviously a diff question, but same AOs apply.

I think this would definitely be a top level answer. I look at the specimen exemplar answer and compared it to the answer you wrote. You answer covers all AO's effectively and seems to be what is expected to achieve high marks. Well done!

Hi I am a English Lit A level student. I just read your essay and it seems really good f but couldn't help but make a modifies version of the paragraph. I really like choice of language which is very good for a GCSE student.
My advice is that if you want to secure a grade A/A* which is 8/9 I believe, approach the question with sensitively. What I mean by this is be more specific about what supernatural means, pick out specific examples from Macbeth and quotes (you only picked one quote in one paragraph) to back your points. This will hopefully sharpen your paragraph structure and help you get the higher grades.

Also make more structural and language analysis, explicitly mentioning authorial methods used to shape meaning.

I tried to modify the first paragraph to demonstrate what I mean by being more specific because the examiners want to know the youn know your texts very well (I don't know Macbeth in detail so sorry for any mistakes if made :colondollar:).

Hope this helps. Very best of luck for your exams. :h:

Shakespeare conveys the supernatural through the chorus of witches chanting, ‘fair is foul and foul is fair.’ The rhyme scheme creates a mysterious and gothic atmosphere which seems to foreshadow the disturbing events of ‘foul’ play of murder and bloodshed that awaits form the hands of Macbeth. This instantly puts the audience at edge, creating an unnerving experience. A Jacobean audience recognise witches as a symbol of bad omen so this introduction to the play would have instantly gave them the sign that the events of the play will later unfold more dark, disturbing, eerie and supernatural events. Also, the witches’ omniscience adds to the mysterious and ethereal nature of the play. For example, the deception in ‘fair is foul’ foreshadows the whole plot in Macbeth deceives Duncan in order to become by plotting and carrying out his murder. Furthermore, the noun ‘foul’ may foreshadow Macbeth’s descent into tyranny and the guilt suffered by both him and Lady Macbeth. This ability to predict future events would certainly lead members of the audience to believe the witches were speaking to the supernatural and conveying Macbeths misfortune fate of overwhelming feeling of guilt which inevitably leads to his own death.
Reply 7
[QUOTE="mkmittens;77558278"]

Hi I am a English Lit A level student. I just read your essay and it seems really good f but couldn't help but make a modifies version of the paragraph. I really like choice of language which is very good for a GCSE student.
My advice is that if you want to secure a grade A/A* which is 8/9 I believe, approach the question with sensitively. What I mean by this is be more specific about what supernatural means, pick out specific examples from Macbeth and quotes (you only picked one quote in one paragraph) to back your points. This will hopefully sharpen your paragraph structure and help you get the higher grades.

Also make more structural and language analysis, explicitly mentioning authorial methods used to shape meaning.

I tried to modify the first paragraph to demonstrate what I mean by being more specific because the examiners want to know the youn know your texts very well (I don't know Macbeth in detail so sorry for any mistakes if made :colondollar:).

Shakespeare conveys the supernatural through the chorus of witches chanting, ‘fair is foul and foul is fair.’ The rhyme scheme creates a mysterious and gothic atmosphere which seems to foreshadow the disturbing events of ‘foul’ play of murder and bloodshed that awaits form the hands of Macbeth. This instantly puts the audience at edge, creating an unnerving experience. A Jacobean audience recognise witches as a symbol of bad omen so this introduction to the play would have instantly gave them the sign that the events of the play will later unfold more dark, disturbing, eerie and supernatural events. Also, the witches’ omniscience adds to the mysterious and ethereal nature of the play. For example, the deception in ‘fair is foul’ foreshadows the whole plot in Macbeth deceives Duncan in order to become by plotting and carrying out his murder. Furthermore, the noun ‘foul’ may foreshadow Macbeth’s descent into tyranny and the guilt suffered by both him and Lady Macbeth. This ability to predict future events would certainly lead members of the audience to believe the witches were speaking to the supernatural and conveying Macbeths misfortune fate of overwhelming feeling of guilt which inevitably leads to his own death.

ok yh thanks! So try to use more writer methods, vocabulary and try to embed extra quotes in analysis yh! :biggrin:
can someone please write a good standard (grade 8) of essay:'How does shakespeare present supernatural throughout the play of macbeth.'Also can you add in lots of relevant subject terminology

The supernatural is also presented through Lady Macbeth talking to the evil spirits, where she demands take my milk for gall’. The fact Lady Macbeth is talking to spirits is a clear link to the supernatural. The fact she believes they can take her feminine characteristics (‘milk’) shows how powerful the supernatural were seen in Jacobean society. Furthermore the noun ‘gall’ may represent how evil and harmful the supernatural was seen. The imperative ‘take’ may also be Shakespeare referencing the hash treatment of those suspected to be involved with the supernatural, for example witches were often burned alive. Therefore the supernatural is presented as powerful and feared through Lady Macbeth’s soliloquy, in which she interacts with evil spirits.

erm i would say its a bit too repetitive the structre that is but while it is fine, you should really try to scrap petal lol it makes your answer more conceptual and less robot like. in other words id give this about a 22 out of 30
Reply 10
Its probably way too late to help the person that wrote this, but for the person who reads this thread:This essay is overall fine. But it is repetitive and robot-like -- it's concise, yes, but your paragraphs should have a flow to it, to make it sound professional and high-level. Examiners are marking tons of papers per hour, they won't read it to actually understand it -- if you use a range of complex sentence structures, and a longer word here and there, it could gain you a few marks.The thing I would add to this answer is a few key terms.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Mjxo05
Its probably way too late to help the person that wrote this, but for the person who reads this thread:This essay is overall fine. But it is repetitive and robot-like -- it's concise, yes, but your paragraphs should have a flow to it, to make it sound professional and high-level. Examiners are marking tons of papers per hour, they won't read it to actually understand it -- if you use a range of complex sentence structures, and a longer word here and there, it could gain you a few marks.The thing I would add to this answer is a few key terms.

For example, you could outline that "fair is foul and foul is fair" is a paradox (contradicting ideas), and it uses parallelism (similar structure and words).

The next step would be to explain the effect it has e.g. The use of paradoxical language would confuse as well as intrigue a Jacobean audience, and represents the mysteriousness and hysteria surrounding the supernatural in Jacobean times. The parallelsim foreshadows a blur between good and evil, good will and corrupting ambition.

For an even better answer, say WHY Shakespeare has chosen to do this. Remember - all characters are constructs, carefully crafted for a specific role. You may want to add some context. Just one sentence is fine.

And finally, link it back to the question.

Good luck :wink:

Shakespeare first presents supernatural through the witches chant that ‘fair is foul, and foul is fair’. The fact they talk in rhyme makes them seem strange, and links to theme of supernatural. A Jacobean audience would fear this supernatural behaviour, putting them on edge from the start of the play. The witches omniscience is mysterious and links to to the supernatural. For example, the deception in ‘fair is foul’ foreshadows the whole plot in that Macbeth deceives Duncan in order to be king. Furthermore the noun ‘foul’ may foreshadow Macbeth’s descent into tyranny and the guilt suffered by both him and Lady Macbeth. This ability to predict future events, would certainly lead audiences believe the witches were speaking to the supernatural. Therefore the theme of supernatural is presented through the witches tone and omniscience.

The supernatural is also presented through Lady Macbeth talking to the evil spirits, where she demands ‘take my milk for gall’. The fact Lady Macbeth is talking to spirits is a clear link to the supernatural. The fact she believes they can take her feminine characteristics (‘milk’) shows how powerful the supernatural were seen in Jacobean society. Furthermore the noun ‘gall’ may represent how evil and harmful the supernatural was seen. The imperative ‘take’ may also be Shakespeare referencing the hash treatment of those suspected to be involved with the supernatural, for example witches were often burned alive. Therefore the supernatural is presented as powerful and feared through Lady Macbeth’s soliloquy, in which she interacts with evil spirits.

The writer later presents the supernatural through Macbeth’s visions, in which he questions ‘Is this a dagger which I see before me’. The fact Macbeth is seeing a floating dagger is a clear form of the supernatural. The fact the supernatural is essentially pressing Macbeth to murder Duncan, is Shakespeare purposefully highlighting how evil the supernatural is as it is not only telling him to kill - but kill a king. This would of been especially shocking in Jacobean society, as Kings would have been seen as untouchable and protected by the divine right of kings. Furthermore the fact Macbeth has, here, been driven to insanity by a supernatural prophecy, further emphases the power of the supernatural. Therefore the supernatural is again presented as powerful through its control over Macbeth.

Shakespeare finally presents the supernatural through Lady Macbeth’s madness where she cries ‘Out, damned spot! Out, I say!’. The adjective ‘damned’ suggests Lady Macbeth will be subjected to eternal punishment in hell for her actions. This is especially ironic, as she called on the supernatural yet is now being punished by it. Jacobean audiences would most likely see this as punishment from god. The repetition of the verb ‘out’ reflects Jacobean views of supernatural, as it was something feared and therefore many wanted it gone. The phrase ‘I say’, also makes her seem desperate compared to the omnipotent supernatural. Therefore the supernatural is presented as vindictive and unwanted - but of course powerful.

Overall, Shakespeare presents the supernatural as omnipotent throughout Macbeth. Through its control over Macbeth’s future, ability to take Lady Macbeth’s ‘milk’ and by the end ability to drive Lady Macbeth to madness. However Shakespeare does also try to represent the Jacobean view of supernatural, in that it was unwanted - most likely to appease audiences at th
[QUOTE="mkmittens;77558278"]

Hi Coul you also check mine it’s not complete but it would mean the mos :

How does Shakespeare present ambition in Macbeth?

Written in the backdrop of the Jacobean Era, a time of great political tension and issues of religious supremacy, Shakespeare’s tragedy Macbeth was a tribute to King James I who became king a few years before the play was first performed. In an attempt to caution against abuses of power, divine rights and the Great Chain of Being. Shakespeare demonstrates the disorder instability and inevitably of destruction caused b disruption of natural order. The fictional construct of Macbeths character acts as a symbol of the destruction caused by guilt fear and inner conflict, all consequences of his acceptance of the supernatural elements.
In this extract, Shakespeare presents ambition in Macbeth to be vaulting and a theme in which reveals the desires and eagerness of our two protagonists or antagonists, Lady Macbeth and Macbeth as Lady Macbeth utilises her ambition and determination as a fuel to motivate and manipulate Macbeth into the murder of King Duncan in Act 2 Scene 2. In her soliloquy, she viciously insults Macbeth using the quotation, “It is too full o’th’milk of human kindness” illustrating to the audience that Lady Macbeth feels insecure in her status of dominance in this scene because she cannot trust Macbeth to carry out regicide. For a contemporary audience in the Jacobean Era, this creates waves of shock and surprise as plotting to kill the king and go against the Great Chain of Being was deemed as sinful because you are denying your right of having a relationship with God and higher powers in an era where Britain was profoundly Christian. This than emphasises the dominance and threshold Lady Macbeth holds on the audience and Macbeth at this moment in time as she transgresses the Jacobean society of patriarchal values to break the stereotypes of women being fragile and weak and perhaps Shakespeare writes Lady Macbeth in this way to enforce the need for change in society and prove to the King ( as the play was written for him) that toxic masculinity needed to be diminished to allow everyone of all genders to be equal. The uses of the adjectives, “too full helps to convey the imagery of purity and innocence as shown in “milk” which connotes to further highlight how at the beginning of the play, Macbeth utilised his ambition to protect and fight for his country and this therefore demonstrate pure, noble values. However, in this sense, the use of “too full o’th’milk of human kindness” could be used to build up irony as the audience has seen in previous, recent scenes that Macbeth “unseam'd him from the nave to the chaps” showing brutal, violent values in which Macbeth holds. This demonstrates to the audience the duality of ambition in which Shakespeare presents to convey how the impacts of ambition can only be pursued with the right motives and illustrates his hamartia- fatal flaw.
When looking at the play, this duality of ambition as shown at the beginning of the play transforms as much more of a negative singularity in which Macbeth abuses his ambition to pursue success and high status. Towards the end of the play, Macbeth says, “Let not light see my black and deep desires” confirms to the audience that Macbeth reflects a fallen angel as he fell from the Grace of God to the evil, malevolent cage of sin. The tone of this quote is significant as Macbeth is saying this line as if it is a prayer, which creates irony to reflect on Macbeth’s inner conflict with his ambition which has catalysed his transformation from a noble soldier to a sinful king alluding to the light as a symbol of God in which Macbeth is showing desperation to perhaps asking for atonement, as he warns God to not look over his sins as it will only bleach and blind God’s eyes of holiness and purity. The contradicting nature of this sub-quote creates an emphatic effect and looks back on quotation like, “We have scorched the snake” to mirror Macbeth’s naivety to his crimes like his regicide which was a result of his ambition. The colour symbolism carries forward this idea as it reinforces Macbeth’s association with the supernatural as black connotes ideas of death, guilt and the disorder and chaos caused by Macbeth. As the supernatural is used as a recurring theme throughout the play, it explains to the audience that the transgression of Macbeth’s ambition is fuelled by the Three Witches who determined his fate. This would make a contemporary audience unsettled and discouraged by Macbeth’s course of actions as in the Jacobean Era, witches were seen as evil which heavily contrasts the dominantly Christian background of society.

Quick Reply

Latest