The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I either went up a grade between my mocks and my real ones, or stayed on the same grade. Mostly went from B's to A's. :smile:
Reply 21
xoJessicaAnn
Basically, I'll be receiving my mock exam results on Friday. My school's made a huge thing of it and to 'prepare us for getting our results in the summer', they've set up a 'Mock Results Day', where we get all our grades in the exact same way as we will do in the summer. It's stupid, and I hate it, because I've already been told I failed maths dramatically, but my history teacher says "I won't be dissapointed at all" so basically, I'm now having to set myself up for a big fat 'U' in maths and an 'A*' in history, and ofcourse the good result will be completely overided by the awful one.
Anyway, I was just wondering what the general difference between mock results and people's actual grades are? Like, when you did your mocks did your results improve dramatically in the summer or vice versa?
Thanks guys! :woo:

Yep we had "mock results day" in our school too! I can't remember exactly but my mock results were something like 2A* 8.5A 2B, and my actualy results were 11.5A* 1A, so I did a bit better in better in the final exams! Don't worry too much if you haven't done as well as you expect :smile:
Ugh, Dreading It.
robby h7
depends how hard you work

and you need to work harder in maths. How the hell did you get a U, seriously can't you count?

Dont say that,thats just ratarded if your going to comment then at least make it helpful
Reply 24
Mocks were much harder for me.

I got a D in my biology mock and then an A* in the real thing.

I think its because people don't revise for the mocks and then when the real thing comes around they panic. =D
We've been told to treat the like the real thing, but that won't apply to me.
My mock results last year were an A in French and a B in Maths.
In my actual exams I got an A* in French and an A in Maths.
For French I was pretty much always going to get an A*, it was just that I was much better at the end of the year than I was in the middle. I was predicted an A* in Maths and my maths teacher convinced me that it was in my reach but I don't think I revised enough for the real thing.

The message is don't worry about it. If you mess up a few exams (or all of them), it's not the end of the world. It in fact will probably help you to know exactly what you're doing wrong. Mocks are ridiculous but useful.
my GCSE mock result in maths was terrible!
either a high C or a low B.
lol

i ended up with a v. comfortable A

:smile:
just take the Easter holiday as the deadline for starting revision ie if you havent started by the first day of Easter,you might not do too well.
just work hard and view the mocks as underlining the areas you need to focus on :smile:

definately worth getting upset about :biggrin:
Reply 27
MOCKS: A*A*AABBBBBBB
REAL: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAA

Mocks are nothing trust me.
I would have been gutted to receive my mock results after the real thing as I needed good grades in order to do medicine.
99.9% of people in my experience do far better in their real exams trust me.
Yeah in the mocks I got
A* - History
A - Drama
B - English Lit, English Lang (1 mark off an A :angry:)
C - Science, Geography
D - Maths, French (redoing oral exam to boost grade)
So yeah, I defo wouldnt be happy with that in the real thing, but i'm okay with it for now. xx
Reply 29
Trust me..dont freak out too much about your mocks.
I put loads of pressure on myself then freaked out if I did badly in them. Went from a C-A in my Latin and I did way more work for my mock than my real thing. Take them as a warning if anything and as long as you work for the subjects your most passionate/worried about then you'll be fine.
Went from 2A*s 7As 1B and 1C to 8A*s and 3As.
and GOOD LUCK :smile:
Reply 30
xoJessicaAnn
Basically, I'll be receiving my mock exam results on Friday. My school's made a huge thing of it and to 'prepare us for getting our results in the summer', they've set up a 'Mock Results Day', where we get all our grades in the exact same way as we will do in the summer. It's stupid, and I hate it, because I've already been told I failed maths dramatically, but my history teacher says "I won't be dissapointed at all" so basically, I'm now having to set myself up for a big fat 'U' in maths and an 'A*' in history, and ofcourse the good result will be completely overided by the awful one.
Anyway, I was just wondering what the general difference between mock results and people's actual grades are? Like, when you did your mocks did your results improve dramatically in the summer or vice versa?
Thanks guys! :woo:

I didn't revise for either of them and I received 8A* 1A 1B in mocks, 6A* rest As in actual thing - so they're similar I guess.

But I know many people who didn't revise for mocks/only revised a little and then started intensely revising before their actual exams and they're grades were more like: 3A* 4A 3B in mocks, 10A* in actual thing.

Just revise if you definately want to hit those top grades in the summer! I should take on board my own advice tbh.

EDIT: Not everyone did so well in mocks, many people got Ds etc. Just wanted to make the point that they're similar but if you want to do well - revise!
This week is 'mock week' on our school and they are taking it all way to seriously. In a way, perhaps its a good thing - get us prepared for the real thing. However, I am slightly nervous about the grades I'll get because I'm revising the night before each exam which is dodgy to be honest. Hoping all goes well, fingers crossed.
Reply 32
Teachers at my school say that with proper revision, your mock grade and actual GCSE grade can increase by at least one grade.

I have a feeling I'm going to flop Maths. My mocks start on Wednesday. Oh well, I didn't take it for A Level, sooo. ;3
I went up from:
2 grades in Single Science (D to a B), RE (C to an A), Stats (C to an A), English Literature (C to an A)
1 grade in English Language (B to an A) and Maths (B to an A)

Stayed the same in:
French, German, History and Latin (AAAB)

Went down a grade in:
Art (A to a B)

for my mocks: no revision whatsoever
real things: about 0 - 1 hour the day before the exam
so I went from 4As, 3Bs, 3Cs and a D to 8As 3Bs in the real thing
only revised for Latin which I revised about 2 weeks manically every day, was so happy to get a B! I was awful!
Lol same here too. Only I'm still doing my mocks and I don't get my results until January. I can't wait that long :o: But usually it's about 2 grades or something. There's still a long time until the real thing, so I wouldn't worry about it now. I just worry about my Maths teacher slaughting us all as he had just marked our Maths paper 1 today and looked a little murderous.
I got exactly the same in every subject in the mocks as in the real exams :o:

But yeah the majority of people do go up at least one grade in every subject :smile:

xxx
Mocks-
A*ABBBCCCU
U being in R.E. in which I didn't bother going to the mock exam.

Real-
A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA
U to an A* in R.E.

Teachers really stress over mocks they mean absolutely nothing unless you can't bear a C in any kind of exam.

Latest