The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If she's doing grade 2, be easy on her. Her teacher'll have everything under control. It won't be until grade 4 or 5 that getting a violin that's any better will be worthwhile, and you'll only notice the difference between average strings and good strings at grade 7 or 8. (As long as they're not Astreas at about a quid a string.)

Speaking of strings... what do people use? I use Evah Pirazzis, which are higher-end synthetic Pirastros, silver/aluminium wound, and sound great (although they are quite fragile and lose about an octave in the first 5 minutes of playing with a new one). They start quite metallic-sounding but do mellow after a week or two.

I visualise something... the TSR Violin Society!
Would people be interested? Do you think I could manage it? :biggrin:
Reply 41
silverjonny
If she's doing grade 2, be easy on her. Her teacher'll have everything under control. It won't be until grade 4 or 5 that getting a violin that's any better will be worthwhile, and you'll only notice the difference between average strings and good strings at grade 7 or 8. (As long as they're not Astreas at about a quid a string.)

Speaking of strings... what do people use? I use Evah Pirazzis, which are higher-end synthetic Pirastros, silver/aluminium wound, and sound great (although they are quite fragile and lose about an octave in the first 5 minutes of playing with a new one). They start quite metallic-sounding but do mellow after a week or two.

I'm up for it :biggrin:

At the moment I use Dominants - my violin is only a student one worth £250 so I'm doubtful how better it would sound even with better strings. I do have a £550 Silver mounted bow though which I absolutely love :biggrin:
Reply 42
silverjonny

I'm in!!

I have no idea what strings I use though, I handed my fiddle over to my friend and told him to make it sound better and tell me how much it was going to cost, he put new pegs, bridge, tail piece, chin rest, end peg, and strings on (he changed most of the so they'd match the new pegs and tail piece :rolleyes: ) so I have very little idea what he did!! They were about £20 trade though.
Reply 43
Are the wound ends in the pegbox all purple? If so, they're Dominants.

I have a £500 silver mounted bow too - it's really agile and has loads of power :biggrin:
I'm in too!

Regarding strings I used to use Pirastro Oliv's but Eudoxas are just the best. What type of rosin do everyone use? Im *really* picky about mine and only use Szigeti. I have heard you can get some rosin with all gold and silvery bits in now tho', only downsides is its £15!!!
Ooo yeah can I join too?
Reply 46
silverjonny

I have a £500 silver mounted bow too - it's really agile and has loads of power :biggrin:

yeah - I originally planned to spend max £300 on my bow, but I picked up that bow just to try for fun, and then I just HAD to have it!
I love it - it's loud, it's responsive and it looks good. But I think I need better rosin for it - I'm using the only rosin our local violin shop sells: Hidersine. I suspect it ain't too amazing - can someone else confirm this?
Reply 47
Ditzy
I'm in!!

I have no idea what strings I use though, I handed my fiddle over to my friend and told him to make it sound better and tell me how much it was going to cost, he put new pegs, bridge, tail piece, chin rest, end peg, and strings on (he changed most of the so they'd match the new pegs and tail piece :rolleyes: ) so I have very little idea what he did!! They were about £20 trade though.

Lucky you. I'd be milking it in if I had a mate like that :p:
I badly need some new strings, but they're expensive and difficult to fit as well!
Reply 48
silverjonny

Make that a strings society and I'd be interested - I play the cello... :smile:
Reply 49
Richy Rich$$
Regarding strings I used to use Pirastro Oliv's but Eudoxas are just the best. What type of rosin do everyone use? Im *really* picky about mine and only use Szigeti. I have heard you can get some rosin with all gold and silvery bits in now tho', only downsides is its £15!!!

Wouldn't want gold and silvery bits making holes in my violin and strings! I use Szigeti to on recommendation from my teacher, and it's wonderful stuff. I get so much more control and subtlety than I did with coarser rosins.

I'm going to consider trying Eudoxas or something the next time I change a string.

Make that a strings society and I'd be interested - I play the cello...

...why not! I was thinking about making it strings. It's real string instruments though - keyboard instruments and the guitar don't count.
Reply 50
silverjonny

I know they're not Dominants, when my friend was telling me about strings he threw in loads of names, I let most of it wash over me and let him do all the choosing!! (trade prices rock!! :biggrin:) He got all the stuff I mentioned earlier and stuck some labour on top and it came to £65 (now thats some serious abusing, especially since he completely rebushed all my pegs etc!!)

He decided he wanted me to play electric in the christmas concert, so he made me one!!

So anyway, a string soc, sounds good :biggrin:
Reply 51
£65?! That sounds like how much it'd cost to have ONE peg rebushed let alone four plus a load of goodies :biggrin:

Does anyone know how I'd go about getting this thing going? That is, unless someone else is hell-bent on starting it...
Reply 52
silverjonny
£65?! That sounds like how much it'd cost to have ONE peg rebushed let alone four plus a load of goodies :biggrin:

Does anyone know how I'd go about getting this thing going? That is, unless someone else is hell-bent on starting it...

Its not what you know, but who you know!! :biggrin: Got everything at trade prices (very very cheap) and then he just stuck in a token amount of labour. I also reminded him of all the time I'd given him a lift home because he can't drive and that he'd never given me petrol money!! So sly!! :flutter:

Start a thread, get people to join in and it'll get moved to the societies forum. If the powers that be decide to let more usergroups be formed again you can find an logo and request a seperate usergroup is made
Reply 53
viviki
On the subject of violins whats the minimum I can pay to get a functional beginners violin?

Just don't get a stentor student. Mass produced evil things.

I'll join a tsr violin society! :smile:
Reply 54
YAY!! i say make it a strings society! i play the cello too
Oooo, I'm hopefully starting the cello soon!
Reply 56
x-Jo-x
Oooo, I'm hopefully starting the cello soon!

why dont you start the viola instead? It is easier to carry everyway! :smile:
Reply 57
why dont you start the viola instead? It is easier to carry everyway!

nonononono! thats a stupid excuse to start viola, cellos a lovely instrument, and the sounds is so melancholy and chilled!
Reply 58
~the_one~
nonononono! thats a stupid excuse to start viola, cellos a lovely instrument, and the sounds is so melancholy and chilled!

so do violas and you get into top orchestras at a younger age
Ahhh decisions, decisions. If only I could do both.

How different is the viola from the violin? I've been playing the violin since I was six and been wanting to learn something different in the string family.

Latest

Trending

Trending