The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Phalanges
From a quick glance it seems that the two main talking points are patient contact and dissections.

At Oxford, we do have patient contact. However, in keeping with the general theme of the course, it's kept very much to a minimum (~2 GP sessions a term in your first year). I have no problem with this - if I was thrown onto the wards now I wouldn't have a clue fundamentally about half the stuff I was dealing with, so it wouldn't be a whole lot of use to me. However, with the occasional sessions I did pick up on one or two things we'd already studied, which gave it a nice summary to those aspects.

We do prosections at Oxford (although we have been told that it's very much a possibility to dissect if you are so inclined, you just have to get in touch with a tutor who will fit you in out of hours. I keep meaning to do this but always seem to have something else on my plate). Prosections are great - we get them once a week, and involve standing around various specimens in groups of ~5 with a junior doctor talking us through what we're seeing (and poking) and compounding our knowledge by asking us questions. They fit in well because we'll generally have had lectures on the area (muscles of the limbs, nerves etc.) in the session before to let us learn the theory, and then straight on we go on to applying it.

:h:

does it vary from college to college? Incidentally which college are you at? one of my best friends is an oriel medic :smile:
rainbowbex
does it vary from college to college? Incidentally which college are you at? one of my best friends is an oriel medic :smile:

No, patient-doctor attachments and prosections are both handled centrally by the medical department, as opposed to collegiately.

As for college I'd rather not say, to protect whatever small amount of anonymity (and social reputation :p:) I have.
Phalanges
No, patient-doctor attachments and prosections are both handled centrally by the medical department, as opposed to collegiately.

As for college I'd rather not say, to protect whatever small amount of anonymity (and social reputation :p:) I have.

oki doki, no worries, and thanks. I never got round to asking miss oriel medic that kinda thing. I'm slowly developing a unanimous knowlage about all med schools... one day I should write a book or something.. though it would probably be way outdated by the time I did! aha
Reply 23
In answer to the question 1, i found what little attachment we had very gimmicky - its only speaking to patients after all. However, it gets you to think about the issues and i think some like it :dontknow:

Phalanges
No, patient-doctor attachments ... are handled centrally by the medical department, as opposed to collegiately.

huh? they may be organised centrally i don't know but i was under the impression that the attachment for each college stays the same each year and there is great variation between what we experienced and, say, brasenose/pembroke (3 patients between 5 in a gp compared to 1 between 12 in a hospital (at least on 1 occasion)).

I know that people from an unnamed college had great complaints about their GP attachment too.
nexttime
huh? they may be organised centrally i don't know but i was under the impression that the attachment for each college stays the same each year and there is great variation between what we experienced and, say, brasenose/pembroke (3 patients between 5 in a gp compared to 1 between 12 in a hospital (at least on 1 occasion)).

I know that people from an unnamed college had great complaints about their GP attachment too.

Sorry, I meant that in terms of frequency every college should have the same amount (for the GP attachment 2 a term I think).
Reply 25
Phalanges
Sorry, I meant that in terms of frequency every college should have the same amount (for the GP attachment 2 a term I think).

yeah that's true, but things like the amount of time they may last are not (having been in some epic 4 hour sessions i should know!).

I always get asked about the patient contact at open days and whether it varies at all so it is an important difference, i'd say (not that you were disputing that). Especially given the huge variation that there seem to be.
nexttime
yeah that's true, but things like the amount of time they may last are not (having been in some epic 4 hour sessions i should know!).

I always get asked about the patient contact at open days and whether it varies at all so it is an important difference, i'd say (not that you were disputing that). Especially given the huge variation that there seem to be.

so would you say your attachment is down to pot-luck depending on which college you're at?
Reply 27
prince_of_paupers
so would you say your attachment is down to pot-luck depending on which college you're at?

erm well its not really 'pot luck' given you choose which college to apply to, but you have no say in it once you are at a college and experiences do vary a lot yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending