The Student Room Group

should i take a gap year?

hi, im going into year 13 in September and my predicted grades arent what i would like them to be. my end of years weren't so great because of all sorts of problems and i ended up with abc. i do history, psychology and biology. i know if i worked hard enough i could potentially get aab-a*ab but idk if i will be able to do this by the ucas deadline, so would it be wise to take a gap year to build my application?or maybe apply through clearing? im looking at unis like warwick that have requirements of aab for psychology

im also not sure if i still wanna do psychology, i love the subject but people's opinions are starting to get to me a little. could anyone give me some advice? thank u
Reply 1
Original post by crazy-girl
hi, im going into year 13 in September and my predicted grades arent what i would like them to be. my end of years weren't so great because of all sorts of problems and i ended up with abc. i do history, psychology and biology. i know if i worked hard enough i could potentially get aab-a*ab but idk if i will be able to do this by the ucas deadline, so would it be wise to take a gap year to build my application?or maybe apply through clearing? im looking at unis like warwick that have requirements of aab for psychology

im also not sure if i still wanna do psychology, i love the subject but people's opinions are starting to get to me a little. could anyone give me some advice? thank u

hi, I'm in a similar position as you with predicted ABB but could possibly be upgraded to AAB. And im applying for medicine which obviously requires AAA. I've researched quite a bit and found that most universities don't even look at predicted anymore and rather focus more on GCSE's and Personal Statement as predicted grades very rarely reflect the A Levels people actually end up getting. I've even emailed some universities (e.g Manchester) and they said they don't even consider predicted grades.

and about doing psychology, don't listen to what other people say, they aren't you and don't have the same preferences or opinions as you. Base your choices on what YOU want and prefer as that will be your future.

I hope this helped in some way! And good luck in your A Levels!
Reply 2
Original post by morteamie
hi, I'm in a similar position as you with predicted ABB but could possibly be upgraded to AAB. And im applying for medicine which obviously requires AAA. I've researched quite a bit and found that most universities don't even look at predicted anymore and rather focus more on GCSE's and Personal Statement as predicted grades very rarely reflect the A Levels people actually end up getting. I've even emailed some universities (e.g Manchester) and they said they don't even consider predicted grades.

and about doing psychology, don't listen to what other people say, they aren't you and don't have the same preferences or opinions as you. Base your choices on what YOU want and prefer as that will be your future.

I hope this helped in some way! And good luck in your A Levels!

aww thank you, that is definitely relieving to hear so thanks for your help. good luck to your in your exams too! and i hope you get in to medschool!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending