The Student Room Group

Plymouth, Royal Holloway or Portsmouth??

Hey, just wondering if anyone can help or has any opinions?!

I really can't choose between Plymouth, Portsmouth or Royal Holloway for my firm and insurance choices. I don't really know enough about the places, as i haven't been able to visit them and have never been to these areas?

Anyone got any info on the lifestyles there or any info on how good the unis are? Ive been accepted for english at all three.

Mucho appreciation to anyone who says anything lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Zee Z
Hey, just wondering if anyone can help or has any opinions?!

I really can't choose between Plymouth, Portsmouth or Royal Holloway for my firm and insurance choices. I don't really know enough about the places, as i haven't been able to visit them and have never been to these areas?

Anyone got any info on the lifestyles there or any info on how good the unis are? Ive been accepted for english at all three.

Mucho appreciation to anyone who says anything lol

Plymouth is a **** hole. It's horrible, not very nice, looks ugly, smells, and is full of chavs. On the other hand, it's close to Exeter, which is nice, and the beach. Not fantastic social life, but perhaps better than RH.

Royal Holloway (I have applied here too) You've got the wonderful area it's in, but with questionable social life.

Don't know about Portsmouth.

:smile: x
Reply 2
Max Hinks
Plymouth is a **** hole. It's horrible, not very nice, looks ugly, smells, and is full of chavs. On the other hand, it's close to Exeter, which is nice, and the beach. Not fantastic social life, but perhaps better than RH.

Royal Holloway (I have applied here too) You've got the wonderful area it's in, but with questionable social life.

Don't know about Portsmouth.

:smile: x

oh no! i didnt know plymouth was like that? i thought with it being cornwall and all it might be more chav-less than other places :frown: Beach is a big deal, i cant live without the sea, which royal holloway doesnt have.

Did u visit RH at all? and yeah i heard social life there is pretty rubbish x
Plymouth has got a bad social life? What a load of rubbish!
Reply 4
Plymouth is a toilet. It's also in Devon, not Cornwall. It's only redeeming qualities are Drake's Circus and Plymouth Pavillions.
Reply 5
Zee Z
oh no! i didnt know plymouth was like that? i thought with it being cornwall and all it might be more chav-less than other places :frown: Beach is a big deal, i cant live without the sea, which royal holloway doesnt have.

Did u visit RH at all? and yeah i heard social life there is pretty rubbish x

I haven't, but a friend of mine has, and thinks it's lovely, plus another friend of mines sister, she goes there and loves it. I guess the social side is what you make of it. No, Plymouth really does have plenty of Chavs, plus not great for employment. I would think, if sea is what your after, Portsmouth is the best idea? What are you applying for?
Plymouth's in Devon. As cities go, it's not that bad - certainly compares well to Bangor anyway!
Reply 7
haha oopsy i meant devon then before anyone else says it :biggrin:
Reply 8
RH since it's also a part of the UoL, London as a city is full of stuff to do and.. to be honest, I'd say RH has the best looking buildings too lol
Royal Holloway - hands down!
Reply 10
Hey! I'm going to Portsmouth. Haven't been there, but heard and read a lot. Firstly, it's on the seaside, and I understood that the beach is some 15 minutes from the city centre. And I understood that there are plenty of clubs, pubs, bars in the city, and an active Student Union, so the social life seems quite good, too.
Personally, I love it without even having ever been there :biggrin: Maybe that isn't right. Not sure.
Reply 11
Max Hinks
I haven't, but a friend of mine has, and thinks it's lovely, plus another friend of mines sister, she goes there and loves it. I guess the social side is what you make of it. No, Plymouth really does have plenty of Chavs, plus not great for employment. I would think, if sea is what your after, Portsmouth is the best idea? What are you applying for?

aha yeah but dont think theres much surf in portsmouth, its all harbour lol. im applying for english, what did you apply at RH for?
Several of my mates of applied to portsmouth and apparently it is one of the most enjoyable ones to be at.
Reply 13
Jetstarfighter
Plymouth has got a bad social life? What a load of rubbish!

what has it got then? im so hoping you are right
Portsmouth's apparently a good uni or so I've heard. It's all across the city and there's plenty here to do, but it's full of chavs. You have loads of places to go out. A variation of different pubs and clubs, a lot of which near some of the halls and the city centre. It's not got great shopping compared to places but it's fine.

And it's close to the beach... a nice stony beach....

But overall it's a nice place, some areas can be a bit iffy at night, but nothing more than any other city :smile:
Rhul Firm.
Reply 16
paddy__power
Several of my mates of applied to portsmouth and apparently it is one of the most enjoyable ones to be at.

hmm, cheers :smile:
Reply 17
Muffinz
Plymouth is a toilet. It's also in Devon, not Cornwall. It's only redeeming qualities are Drake's Circus and Plymouth Pavillions.

god i so didnt know plymouth is like that, everyones been pretty down on it :s-smilie:
Reply 18
xSkyFire
RH since it's also a part of the UoL, London as a city is full of stuff to do and.. to be honest, I'd say RH has the best looking buildings too lol

RH isn't actually in London, it's in Egham in Surrey. It's about an hour on a commuter train and the trains finish really early, so it's not like you would be able to go to London regularly for nights out. Staines is the nearest town to Egham I believe.
Reply 19
xSkyFire

thats true, it is gorgeous. but i read some stuff about trains to london from RH are rubbish. Also london prices are a stretch for a brighton girl lol, is it a lot more expensive round there do u think?

Latest

Trending

Trending