The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DMV
TBH, Burka's scare me when I'm out and about, I used to think I was dead racist when I was younger beause of it.

But yes, Burkas should be banned in airports, why increase the fear 10x?

so because burkas scare you they should be banned?

in that case recent surveys have shown that adults are afraid of hoodies so they should be banned too right?
BiGBaDBoO
They are selectively banned already in public places (hoodies).

The degree to which they obscure the face is the main point here. When wearing a burka, the only visible part of your face is your eyes. However as CCTV technology is advancing this is becoming less of a problem as methods such as the suspects walk are analysed to distinguish between people. I am unaware if this technology is being implemented yet though.

Wearing a burka when entering a store at the moment is socially acceptable. Which is a risk to security as the store owner cannot simply demand they remove the garment without being labelled as a racist like they can with a hat, scarf or balaclava.

Stop being narrow minded and think what it must be like for shop owners?

I have not seen shopkeepers complaining?

also if it is socially acceptable than what's wrong?
loki276

in that case recent surveys have shown that adults are afraid of hoodies so they should be banned too right?

Also goths/emos/punks, homeless people, people who hang around in groups, bearded men, people dressed as animals, old women with no teeth, people dressed as Darth Vader or witches etc. could all scare people (what will we do on Halloween? :zomg:) so these things should also be banned right?
Reply 263
BiGBaDBoO
They are selectively banned already in public places (hoodies).

The degree to which they obscure the face is the main point here. When wearing a burka, the only visible part of your face is your eyes. However as CCTV technology is advancing this is becoming less of a problem as methods such as the suspects walk are analysed to distinguish between people. I am unaware if this technology is being implemented yet though.

Wearing a burka when entering a store at the moment is socially acceptable. Which is a risk to security as the store owner cannot simply demand they remove the garment without being labelled as a racist like they can with a hat, scarf or balaclava.

Stop being narrow minded and think what it must be like for shop owners?

Shop owners should be allowed to ask a female to remove the veil from their face if they wish to enter. After all it is there property.

But that doesn't mean the Burkha should be banned by law.

Stop being absurd.
Reply 264
Before you it they'll be banning people from having too much hair, you know the ones that cover people's faces a bit.
CombineHarvester
Also goths/emos/punks, homeless people, people who hang around in groups, bearded men, people dressed as animals, old women with no teeth, people dressed as Darth Vader or witches etc. could all scare people (what will we do on Halloween? :zomg:) so these things should also be banned right?

did I sense sarcasm or am I being cynical?
Reply 266
loki276

I never said that.
I said that particularly in airports where the islamaphobia is likely to be higher then normal due to events such as 9/11 and the recent bombing attempt that it might be better to ban the Burka in such places because other people may accosiate this with more extreamist beliefs and subsequenty get more anxious about flying then neccessary. The Burka is not a compulsary part of Ismalic religion in the same way that the 5 K's are to Sikhism or even the headscalf is to Islamic women.
gingergooner
Are you honestly trying to argue that you feel threatened by a female wearing a burkah?

Are you serious? Of course it's intimidating. You don't even know what's under the burkah anyway. I bet there are as many people who are intimidated by someone wearing a burkah as there are women indimidated by men, as you cited being a reason for wearing the burkah.
CombineHarvester
First of all, they were born in this country :dunce:

Ok, well I was opposed to that from the word "Go."

CombineHarvester

and those who are immigrants like Western society because it gives them the freedom to dress how they wish.

No, the women wearing burka's are invariably those subscribing to the Islamist ideologies, who do not want British freedom and democracy, flat our reject our way of life, and who view immigration as part of jihad to spread Islam to un-Islamic lands, and the burkha is part of the subversive process.

CombineHarvester

You don't allow people into your country to work and have an honest living but then twenty years later tell them they have to change their dress codes like some sort of grammar school uniform policy.

You don't get a job as a teacher at a Church Of England primary school then on your first day of work turn up wearing a full burka with only your eyes showing, unless you're trying to make some sort of statement. (see my last post.)

CombineHarvester

If you want to create a country where everyone has to wear 'British clothing' and the intolerance of any other forms of dress then you can hardly criticize Saudi Arabia.

You don't see the irony in trying to prevent Sharia practices from being allowed to flourish in this country? Even in Europe, women who have decided to stop wearing the burkha have been raped by Muslim men for doing so.

It's not being fascist, it's called playing ball.
If you were a nudist at home, but went to stay with a nice conservative, church-going family somewhere down in Cornwall, you wouldn't dream of continuing to walk around their house in the buff, in front of their kids etc. Because it would be offensive.

WHEN IN ROME. Most people in Britain (i.e. the native people,) are sick to the back teeth of Muslims in the country, and don't want them here anyway. If they don't want to integrate, speak the language, rather than encasing themselves to look like a letterbox to seperate themselves from us filthy kuffar, then they are very, very welcome to leave.:yes:

It's hardly any different from black people choosing to wear chains round their wrists and ankles, because their culture says they should be "good, hard-working and loyal to their masters."
DMV
I never said that.
I said that particularly in airports where the islamaphobia is likely to be higher then normal due to events such as 9/11 and the recent bombing attempt that it might be better to ban the Burka in such places because other people may accosiate this with more extreamist beliefs and subsequenty get more anxious about flying then neccessary. The Burka is not a compulsary part of Ismalic religion in the same way that the 5 K's are to Sikhism or even the headscalf is to Islamic women.

again due to the fact that you have an irrational fear of someone they shouldn't be allowed to fly wtf?

also women wearing burkha are examined at airports albeit by a female what is so wrong about that?
MaceyThe
Ok, well I was opposed to that from the word "Go."

No, the women wearing burka's are invariably those subscribing to the Islamist ideologies, who do not want British freedom and democracy, flat our reject our way of life, and who view immigration as part of jihad to spread Islam to un-Islamic lands, and the burkha is part of the subversive process.

You don't get a job as a teacher at a Church Of England primary school then on your first day of work turn up wearing a full burka with only your eyes showing, unless you're trying to make some sort of statement. (see my last post.)

You don't see the irony in trying to prevent Sharia practices from being allowed to flourish in this country? Even in Europe, women who have decided to stop wearing the burkha have been raped by Muslim men for doing so.

It's not being fascist, it's called playing ball.
If you were a nudist at home, but went to stay with a nice conservative, church-going family somewhere down in Cornwall, you wouldn't dream of continuing to walk around their house in the buff, in front of their kids etc. Because it would be offensive.

WHEN IN ROME. Most people in Britain (i.e. the native people,) are sick to the back teeth of Muslims in the country, and don't want them here anyway. If they don't want to integrate, speak the language, rather than encasing themselves to look like a letterbox to seperate themselves from us filthy kuffar, then they are very, very welcome to leave.:yes:

It's hardly any different from black people choosing to wear chains round their wrists and ankles, because their culture says they should be "good, hard-working and loyal to their masters."

generalising much?

also you don't speak for most people in Britain last time I checked
near_comatose
Are you serious? Of course it's intimidating. You don't even know what's under the burkah anyway. I bet there are as many people who are intimidated by someone wearing a burkah as there are women indimidated by men, as you cited being a reason for wearing the burkah.

Why? What's intimidating? If I wore a hooded jacket because it was cold should that be outlawed?
Reply 272
MaceyThe

I want Muslims to take note precisely of these two points and remember what was told is going to happen to you eventually in the Quran.
DMV
I never said that.

I don't think "people being scared because they are in an airport" really holds any weight. Anyway, how many terrorist attacks have their been by people wearing Burkas on planes? None that I know of.

The only restriction I think there should be on them in airports is that they are taken off during the security screening.

I certainly don't "agree" with people wearing them (it just seems stupid to me - as do most religious practices) - but I don't think there is a legitimate reason for banning them (unless all religion is banned).
Reply 274
I don't understand the Burkha, they look better with it on so what is the point?
CombineHarvester

No, the burka shouldn't be banned. People should be educated as to what it stands for, along with the whole cranky religion, and then it would be laughed and ridiculed out of existence.

For comparison though, a nice picture I made:

On a personal level though....Last time I flew abroad, there was a Muslim women in a burka on the row behind me. At meal time, I was curious as to how she ate, and turned round to take a peak. She'd removed her burka and was munching on some food, but had the dirtiest, mustache and hairy face I've ever seen on a woman.:eek:

For people like that, please, continue to wear the burka.
gingergooner
Why? What's intimidating? If I wore a hooded jacket because it was cold should that be outlawed?

No, but I can pretty much guarantee you'd be told to take your hood down inside a shopping centre, museum, any public place (except outside obv.) and someone wearing a burkah wouldn't, because we couldn't offend someone's religion (read: a muslims religion)

It's intimidating because you have no way to identify what's under it, so in the back of my mind I'd be thinking they could do a lot of things and get away with it. Also, I think you'll find I didn't mention anything being outlawed so why you're asking me that question, I don't know.
MaceyThe
No, the burka shouldn't be banned. People should be educated as to what it stands for, along with the whole cranky religion, and then it would be laughed and ridiculed out of existence.

For comparison though, a nice picture I made:

On a personal level though....Last time I flew abroad, there was a Muslim women in a burka on the row behind me. At meal time, I was curious as to how she ate, and turned round to take a peak. She'd removed her burka and was munching on some food, but had the dirtiest, mustache and hairy face I've ever seen on a woman.:eek:

For people like that, please, continue to wear the burka.

you have just demonstrate what an arrogant **** you are with those pictures and comments
Reply 278
loki276
again due to the fact that you have an irrational fear of someone they shouldn't be allowed to fly wtf?

also women wearing burkha are examined at airports albeit by a female what is so wrong about that?

But alot of people still have this unrealistic fear.

as to your second point so are alot of people, that might not be enough to reassure ome people thiogh.
DMV
But alot of people still have this unrealistic fear.

as to your second point so are alot of people, that might not be enough to reassure ome people thiogh.

So if people had an irrational fear of goths they wouldnt be allowed to dress like that?

and if it doesn't reassure some people than its their own fault for being so damn stupid

Latest

Trending

Trending