The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

CHEM1STRY
Do you think aliens have visited us?

Most of you, I'm sure, will answer no. How can beings travel along vast distances and why would they bother visiting us?

However, various events such as Roswell [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_UFO_Incident ] and the Battle of Los Angeles [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_los_angeles ] aswell as organisations such as Majestic 12 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MJ12 ] do indicate that the government in the USA are concerned with so called 'UFOs' or 'Unidentified Flying Objects'.

So what are your views, TSR?

i do......but i watch a lot of the x files :ninja:
Reply 41
py0alb
I would postulate that it would be more like a safari trip to them. If they're so advanced then they would probably have some kind of morality.

these are aliens, they might have no morals.
just because we percieve intelligence as having morals doesnt mean the aliens will.
predator didnt have morals and everyone knows that was based on a true story, thats why people voted for arnie to be govenor of california
Reply 42
these are aliens, they might have no morals.
just because we percieve intelligence as having morals doesnt mean the aliens will.
predator didnt have morals and everyone knows that was based on a true story, thats why people voted for arnie to be govenor of california

I think for a civilisation to become so advanced to have intergalactic travel it would need to be stable for a long time which would suggest that they would have a sort of morality. However, they could come a long and just treat us as cattle, and so reserve their morality for fellow aliens, like we do to animals.

Also, it could be possible that intergalactic travel was stumbled upon quickly, and so in a short space of time it became available to many, the moral and the immoral.

Hopefully they would have regulation to prevent just anyone going on to new worlds. If they let this happen people could properly **** up diplomatic relations.
Reply 43
HyperGiant
I think for a civilisation to become so advanced to have intergalactic travel it would need to be stable for a long time which would suggest that they would have a sort of morality. However, they could come a long and just treat us as cattle, and so reserve their morality for fellow aliens, like we do to animals.

Also, it could be possible that intergalactic travel was stumbled upon quickly, and so in a short space of time it became available to many, the moral and the immoral.

Hopefully they would have regulation to prevent just anyone going on to new worlds. If they let this happen people could properly **** up diplomatic relations.

we thought we had morals in the 1700's but then we went to other continents and treated the natives like ****. i dont see how this is much different. except instead of wooden ships there are intergalactic space cruisers. and instead of a inferior species we were opressing they were our equals!
Reply 44
I really hope they do soon, the world needs sorting out!
Reply 45
we thought we had morals in the 1700's but then we went to other continents and treated the natives like ****. i dont see how this is much different. except instead of wooden ships there are intergalactic space cruisers. and instead of a inferior species we were opressing they were our equals!

lol if you are going to change ships to space ships, you can't then not change less developed peoples into less developed species.

When I said "However, they could come a long and just treat us as cattle, and so reserve their morality for fellow aliens, like we do to animals."

we can see the same thing when we went around the world. We took slaves and treated others like crap as you said. I am not saying that aliens couldn't do the same.
Reply 46
Of course. How do you think you were conceived !?

Dya know that testtube your Mother keeps at the sink,....well....yeh.......
Reply 47
I was just speaking hypothetically with regard to the way things are portrayed in sci-fi, (with lack of detail lmao) no matter how real or unreal it may be. Big up for the X-Files mention before too lol.

Oh, and to the person that negged me, your a retard. Pssh, you could have left your name coward...
Reply 48

Have aliens visited Earth? - Nope - although it is disappointing to think this

Are there other forms of life in the universe - Yes - I think so.
CHEM1STRY
Do you think aliens have visited us?

Most of you, I'm sure, will answer no. How can beings travel along vast distances and why would they bother visiting us?

However, various events such as Roswell [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_UFO_Incident ] and the Battle of Los Angeles [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_los_angeles ] aswell as organisations such as Majestic 12 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MJ12 ] do indicate that the government in the USA are concerned with so called 'UFOs' or 'Unidentified Flying Objects'.

So what are your views, TSR?

I saw them in my back garden last night :yep:
Reply 50
Steezy
Maybe they're so intelligent that they've realised slavery is bad?? How can we guess how their minds would work? We as humans find it very difficult to imagine a different thought pattern to our own. Maybe they wouldn't even think (as we know it), maybe they wouldn't move (as we know it)??

I can't imagine a different thought pattern to my own but can acknowledge that there are different patterns.

What is interesting is in District 9 it says how the prawns have no concept of owning land. This is very interesting and was the same for many tribes across the world.

And perhaps they realised slavery is an awesome way to get **** done ^_^
leeming
what if...

the mothership is
a) made of a material which bends light around it
b)transparent
c)absorbs all light so appears as "nothing" along with the carp loads of "nothing" in space to compare it to

Then the single aliens coming down might just be like teenage aliens getting a bit stressed with sitting up there all this time and want to get out, so the go for a joy ride, and they get seen... doh
Whereas the older aliens are sitting and watching our behaviour and deciding which nation to land on.. or just to observe as they might have more experience with other planets and dont want to get involved.. because the last time they did that.. well I wont speak of such horrors!!!:eek:

A is possible and so is C. B wouldn't really be practical, it would mean everything in the ship would have to be transparent as well.

Anyway, assume that it's made of a light bending material, so is completely invisible. Even then, the question remains, why wouldn't they make their presence known. If they've set off in search of new life forms, why once they find it, would they hide. You mentioned the whole decision making process etc, and I addressed that in my post. We've been "seeing" UFO's for over 50 years, it simply does not take that long to make an informed decision about the technological state of our world and whether it would be a bad idea to make their presence known. It wouldn't take long, like I previously said, to establish that we're very primative and would pose no risk to a technologically advanced species.

The whole "teenage aliens" scenrio is also ludicrous. Although I get the impression you might be joking, I'll explain why. Assuming then, a technologically advanced species has A) Cloaking technologically and is also sufficiently intelligent, as they must be to get here in the first place and assuming they don't want to be seen (For some odd reason) then there is no way, they would be stupid enough to send ships like we've seen down to earth, where they are clearly visible. There's also no reason at all, why those ships (If they did want to observe withough being seen) wouldn't also be made of the same cloaking material that the mothership is made of.

Anyway, this point is irrelevant, since they wouldn't just be lurking up there. The reasons for this I've already discussed.
Reply 52
You Failed
A is possible and so is C. B wouldn't really be practical, it would mean everything in the ship would have to be transparent as well.

Anyway, assume that it's made of a light bending material, so is completely invisible. Even then, the question remains, why wouldn't they make their presence known. If they've set off in search of new life forms, why once they find it, would they hide. You mentioned the whole decision making process etc, and I addressed that in my post. We've been "seeing" UFO's for over 50 years, it simply does not take that long to make an informed decision about the technological state of our world and whether it would be a bad idea to make their presence known. It wouldn't take long, like I previously said, to establish that we're very primative and would pose no risk to a technologically advanced species.

The whole "teenage aliens" scenrio is also ludicrous. Although I get the impression you might be joking, I'll explain why. Assuming then, a technologically advanced species has A) Cloaking technologically and is also sufficiently intelligent, as they must be to get here in the first place and assuming they don't want to be seen (For some odd reason) then there is no way, they would be stupid enough to send ships like we've seen down to earth, where they are clearly visible. There's also no reason at all, why those ships (If they did want to observe withough being seen) wouldn't also be made of the same cloaking material that the mothership is made of.

Anyway, this point is irrelevant, since they wouldn't just be lurking up there. The reasons for this I've already discussed.

If you make an object is invisible it's a two-way process. Not only can the outside world not see the invisible object, the invisible object can't see the outside world. This goes for both the light-bending argument and the replicated image (cameras on one side, projection on the other and vice-versa) as in either case, no light actually goes into the invisibility bubble. You would also need to make the craft undetectable via sonar/radar etc. and somehow manage to enter the earth's atmosphere without anyone noticing (which is mostly a matter of luck).

Most UFO sightings that are reported are military aircraft. It's no coincidence that strange craft are often seen above military bases, particularly those kept under heavy guard and their work highly confidential (i.e. Area 51). If you were trying to hide a top-secret stealth plane, letting people think it's aliens is a pretty good cover. If the government denies an alien sighting then it's nothing new, if they deny a military jet sighting then it's a bit more transparent what's going on. :p:
Dez
If you make an object is invisible it's a two-way process. Not only can the outside world not see the invisible object, the invisible object can't see the outside world. This goes for both the light-bending argument and the replicated image (cameras on one side, projection on the other and vice-versa) as in either case, no light actually goes into the invisibility bubble. You would also need to make the craft undetectable via sonar/radar etc. and somehow manage to enter the earth's atmosphere without anyone noticing (which is mostly a matter of luck).

Most UFO sightings that are reported are military aircraft. It's no coincidence that strange craft are often seen above military bases, particularly those kept under heavy guard and their work highly confidential (i.e. Area 51). If you were trying to hide a top-secret stealth plane, letting people think it's aliens is a pretty good cover. If the government denies an alien sighting then it's nothing new, if they deny a military jet sighting then it's a bit more transparent what's going on. :p:

I'm not entirely sure why you decided to quote me =P I agree with you and was trying to disprove someone elses argument. It never occured to me about the whole, not being able to see out thing though, which is a very good point.
There are a few problems with pondering this kind of issue. Firstly, any aliens who might interact successfully (to whatever end) with humans would have to have conciousnesses which are sufficiently similar to humans'. I mean, for example, in terms of their perception of "time" (if they even acknowledge such a thing), and reality in general.

Our perception of reality and the universe is a certain way, and it's perfectly reasonable to imagine that other forms of life and intelligence see things in a profoundly different way to us, such that our two races could never actually interact or even really experience each other's presence at all, perhaps.

The second issue is - what do we mean when we wonder if aliens HAVE or HAVE NOT visited Earth?
Our only way of judging it is through witnessing it one way or another, either directly or via instrumentation of some sort, but that still gets to us through our senses.
So, we're really wondering "do people believe aliens have visited Earth?"
That, unfortunately, is indistinguishable from "have aliens visited Earth?"

There are many people who have witnessed things that they believe to be signs of aliens being on Earth (or in the atmosphere). There are many people who, witnessing the same events, believe them not to be indicative of such a thing. And there are many people who have not really seen anything themselves that says much either way.

To give you a simple example - I can say now that there IS milk in my fridge right now. What this means is that, just recently, I saw milk in my fridge when I looked (and don't find it likely that anything happened to remove it in the mean time). Taking it one step further, it actually means that I am experiencing a MEMORY of having witnessed milk in my fridge, and that memory is "time-stamped" as being from just earlier today.

That's all I have to be able to say there "is" milk in my fridge.

I hope that makes sense... :s-smilie:
Reply 55
It's estimated that our galaxy is 100,000 light years across, and contains over 100,000,000,000 (One hundred billion) other stars, each likely to have orbiting planets. It was also estimated that there are another 500,000,000,000 (Five hundred billion) other galaxies, and this number is ever-increasing as our technology is improving.

So according to the Drake equation; not just life in the sense of molecules, but intelligent life is pretty likely.
Reply 56
In my opinion, Aliens having visited Earth during fairly advanced human society (say since the 1600s or so, or hell even say any time since 0 AC) is quite unlikely provided that there aren't technologies out there that enable FTL travel (and without extreme effort). Aliens having visited the Solar System at some point ... much more likely, especially if they have much longer lifespans (with technology and time, this is certainly possible even if we ignore the fact this could be natural for alien species).
Reply 57
Personally, I doubt we have ever been visited, as if we had, the government would know, and the papers would have spread so many rumours.
Some life somewhere else in the universe - yes
That life has visited us - no
I said yes - they probably have. Who's to say we're the most intelligent beings in the universe?

Latest

Trending

Trending