The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
win2kpro
I think I did exactly the same except for my answer was : 2 - ln4, which is I think the same as 2 - 2ln2 haha :p:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I should simplify it to 2 - 2ln2 = 2 - ln2^2 = 2 - ln4 but I decided not to bother in the end, hope I don't lose a mark for that :p:
MarkS2
Yeah, I wasn't sure if I should simplify it to 2 - 2ln2 = 2 - ln2^2 = 2 - ln4 but I decided not to bother in the end, hope I don't lose a mark for that :p:

They won't care I don't think.
Reply 202
Ahh, I loved that exam so much =D
did anyone else find this exam sort of airy fairy (not saying it was easy in the slightest quite the opposite) :biggrin: a lot of prove this and show that compared to other papers, not too many hard and fast questions that ive been getting used to
Reply 204
clad in armour
did anyone else find this exam sort of airy fairy (not saying it was easy in the slightest quite the opposite) :biggrin: a lot of prove this and show that compared to other papers, not too many hard and fast questions that ive been getting used to

I think I found it the complete opposite... quite easy but not a lot of show that and proof questions
Reply 205
How were you meant to show the two things we differentiated are the same?
mcl
9ii. did anyone get the range as -1<y<1.4 those are supposed to be or equal to signs as well :s-smilie: ?

also does anyone have a list or know the marks per question or section of each question???

yes
rick4236
How were you meant to show the two things we differentiated are the same?

3y^2 on the denom. put y in, the 3 and 6 cancel to give 2
Get over this exam now, you cant change anything.

Lets stop now and talk about it again in June.
mcl
9ii. did anyone get the range as -1<y<1.4 those are supposed to be or equal to signs as well :s-smilie: ?

also does anyone have a list or know the marks per question or section of each question???

Equal to signs as well. Because the domain had equal to signs as well.
Reply 210
amulvanny
Hi Tallon, i got pi/2 for P and 3pi/2 for Q. im not sure if they are right tho - not feelin tooooo confident to be honest about the whole exam!!
how did u calculate your two answers??
i worked mine out by 0 = xcos3x
so x = 0 or cos3x = 0
from the cosine graph x = 0 at cos90 and cos270 which in radians = pi/2 and 3pi/2 xx

Because since it's cos(3x) you know it's cos(x) only squashed parralel to the x axis three times more than usual. You're right that pi/2 and 3pi/2 make cos(3x) 0, but P and Q are the first and second times it crosses the azis. You can check now that pi/6 is the first and pi/2 is the second time. Sorry. Perhaps you'll still get a method mark.

I agree though that, although people want to estimate what mark they have got, discussing it ultimately only adds worry and doubt. If people are worrying about it, it means the grade boundaries are probably low meaning people have done better than they thought (probably). If not, there's always resits. Remember, this exam was only 80% of a module that counts for 1/6 of your final maths grade.
Reply 211
managed to completly mess it up eventhough im normally really good at C3, have got 90% + in all the exam conditions past papers but i completly freaked out it was horrible :frown:
Reply 212
idd, it kinda sucked, especially question 8.
Reply 213
kennykwan
Was there a meant to be an insert for question 9 for the sketch the graph question?

i got so confused as it said "sketch onto a copy of figuer 9". i couldnt find a copy so assumed it meant the exam paper copy (obviously very stupid of me, but you dont think properly in exams" so i copiedi t perfectly on the exam paper. then 2 minutes before the end realised and had to draw ito ut again really messily!
Reply 214
one of the hardest exams I've ever done...:/
Reply 215
Skadoosh
By substitution. u=x+1, therefore x=u-1

Integral was 2x/(x+1) with limits x=1 and x=0. Change limits appropriate to what you're integrating with respect to (i.e u). Differentiate u=x+1 and replace for dx (as dx=(du/dx).du)

You should get:

integral of [2(u-1)/u] du with limits x=2 and x=1

Get that far?

josh_a_y
I vaguely remember.. was it the integrate x/(x+1) ?

This was a tricky one, since they misled you on the previous part in using a dx-->du to get rid of the numerator.

But anyways...

x/(x+1)

take u as x+1

= (u-1)/u

So you ll change limites etc.

integral of 1- 1/u

= [u - ln u]

sub in w.e values it was now

MarkS2
I did:

Let u = x + 1 => x = u - 1

du/dx = 1 => du = dx

2(u - 1)du = 2xdx

= 2 - 2ln2

thanks a lot guys, glad to have cleared that up. Kind of relieved i at least got some of it right, just completely missed the 2xdx for some reason, stupid mistake :s-smilie:...ah well
Reply 216
one of the easiest C3 papers yet i thought, any 1 know the usual coursework grade boundaires?
Reply 217
smiley:)
i got so confused as it said "sketch onto a copy of figuer 9". i couldnt find a copy so assumed it meant the exam paper copy (obviously very stupid of me, but you dont think properly in exams" so i copiedi t perfectly on the exam paper. then 2 minutes before the end realised and had to draw ito ut again really messily!

I did EXACTLY this.
Reply 218
Yeah, that's why I thought there was meant to be an insert, it's worded as if to say they've provided a copy of fig.9
I ****** up on this paper real bad. Goodbye A* grade. I hardly knew thee.

Latest

Trending

Trending