The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

so i just told my folks im gay and they were SO lovely about it but i dont know where i go from here :s-smilie: Like am i sposed to talk about dates and stuff?! Don't get me wrong i don't want to go back in the closet but i'm naturally really private anyway
veggie4life
so i just told my folks im gay and they were SO lovely about it but i dont know where i go from here :s-smilie: Like am i sposed to talk about dates and stuff?! Don't get me wrong i don't want to go back in the closet but i'm naturally really private anyway

You're not supposed to do anything :p: If they want to talk about it and you want to talk about it then cool, if not, not.
Revd. Mike
You're not supposed to do anything :p: If they want to talk about it and you want to talk about it then cool, if not, not.

lmao im just not sure what to do :s-smilie: god this more confusng than if i never told them lol. what do you do ??
veggie4life

Awww congrats! :smile:
I assume my parents already know/suspect, or they'll probably get the idea if I bring a boyfriend home! xD

I'm fairly open to everyone else though and I love finding little ways to out myself to people.
Piprod01
Awww congrats! :smile:
I assume my parents already know/suspect, or they'll probably get the idea if I bring a boyfriend home! xD

I'm fairly open to everyone else though and I love finding little ways to out myself to people.

I don't see the point in openly telling people that you're gay/bi :s-smilie:
Reply 5585
veggie4life

Awesome, good for you. :biggrin:

Talk about whatever you want to talk about; just because you're gay doesn't mean you have to be more or less open about anything.

Anyway, I'm off to sleep. G'night, gays.
veggie4life
lmao im just not sure what to do :s-smilie: god this more confusng than if i never told them lol. what do you do ??

Well my family and friends all know I'm gay and know my partner, but beyond that it just doesn't really come up in conversation. Occasionally Mum asks my opinion on a guy or on a gay issue, but that's about it. You don't have to talk about it if you find it uncomfortable! It shouldn't be any different than if you were straight I suppose.

KiraMayz

I admit that it perhaps shouldn't be the case, but it generally is automatically assumed that someone is heterosexual unless otherwise specified. Whilst I don't advocate going around with a "I'm a homo" sign or introducing yourself as "Hi, I'm Mike and I'm gay", I don't see any problem in letting someone know your sexuality if it comes up. Also, when it comes to telling parents, I think that's important as they generally automatically assume their child is straight and it's probably better that they're told sooner and have time to adjust rather than springing a boyfriend on them later :p:
KiraMayz

Yeah, I wouldn't like jumping out of the closet shouting and screaming about it, I just like sneaking in some hints when I talk to people. :wink:
dbmag9
Awesome, good for you. :biggrin:

Talk about whatever you want to talk about; just because you're gay doesn't mean you have to be more or less open about anything.

Anyway, I'm off to sleep. G'night, gays.

Good night!

Hehe! I [re]found this onion video that made me smile:
http://www.theonion.com/video/how-to-find-a-masculine-halloween-costume-for-your,14378/
"Hello, Travis"
:giggle:
veggie4life

It seems to me to be a natural progression to then tell them if you meet a special guy - obviously that excludes dates that don't go anywhere/one night stands etc.. (Naturally though details of one night stands should be posted in LGBT chat. :yep: :p:)

If you were not to tell them that may give them the impression that they reacted badly to you telling them and that they have let you down.

The way you proceed will also a little bit depend on your future other half and his feelings.

Either way you will work it out when the situation occurs. :hugs:
Reply 5589
Morning, gays. How are we all today?
dbmag9
Morning, gays. How are we all today?

It's afternoon now. :p:

Lie in or did someone special keep you in bed so late? :wink:
Reply 5591
Ataloss
It's afternoon now. :p:

Lie in or did someone special keep you in bed so late? :wink:

Nah, I stayed up watching Never Mind the Buzzcocks. Wouldn't mind being kept in bed by Simon Amstell, though. :P:
Reply 5592
dbmag9
Nah, I stayed up watching Never Mind the Buzzcocks. Wouldn't mind being kept in bed by Simon Amstell, though. :P:

Neither would I (although he's not my type at all :o:)

*sigh* http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10249335.stm
Reply 5593
:facepalm:
STUPID AOL throttling utorrent GAH Downloading a season at 20kb is just impossible.
Reply 5595
Crisps
Neither would I (although he's not my type at all :o:)

*sigh* http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10249335.stm

A Facebook friend of mine was in that group, I saw his status about it. :cool:

Come to think of it, said Facebook friend was either in this thread, or his friend was in this thread. They're the ones who went to Christ's Hospital School.
Reply 5596
veggie4life
STUPID AOL throttling utorrent GAH Downloading a season at 20kb is just impossible.

Ew, AOL :frown:
What are you (slowly) downloading?

I was following that as it was happening on Twitter last night. Pretty depressing stuff, especially when the manager allegedly said that he wouldn't have taken the booking if he knew it was an LGBT group. :frown:
hmmmm is a 33 year old a bit too old for me?
Reply 5599
Lord Hysteria
hmmmm is a 33 year old a bit too old for me?

I think a photo would help us decide. :p:

Also, have you been missing for a while here, or is that just my imagination?

Latest