The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Further Mathematics

Hey, I'm in year 12 and i'll be taking C1, C2, M1 in normal mathematics and in further mathematics i'll be taking FP1, M3. This will get me a AS in mathematics and further mathematics.

But there is a problem...
I don't know if anybody has notice this but...if you're learning the units what I am, and taking the exams in Summer 2010, then you won't really be able to do it.
The problem is that M3 requires some knowledge from C3,C4,M2. This means that you'll have to learn bits of C3,C4,M2.

My teacher has talked to Edexcel and said that it is possible to take FP1 this Summer 2010 but M3 will have to be taken in Jan 2011.

Also, the website says:
allow greater flexibility in delivery, enabling you to timetable Year 12 and 13 mixed groups more easily

Is anyone in the same situation as me?

I heard that this problem doesn't happen with the AQA version.
Reply 1
KrishanM
Hey, I'm in year 12 and i'll be taking C1, C2, M1 in normal mathematics and in further mathematics i'll be taking FP1, M3. This will get me a AS in mathematics and further mathematics.

No it won't. You need 3 units for AS FM and you only list 2

KrishanM
The problem is that M3 requires some knowledge from C3,C4,M2. This means that you'll have to learn bits of C3,C4,M2.

Yes you would knowledge of the M1 and M2 specifications and the differentiation, integration and differential
equations as specified in C1, C2 and C3 are essential for M3. Seems a very odd way for you to do things to me.
[QUOTE="gdunne42"]
KrishanM
QUOTE]

No it won't. You need 3 units for AS FM and you only list 2

I think he includes the M1 in the FM AS
Reply 3
Take A2 maths in one year and AS Fm next year
Why the hell are you doing M3 of all units now?
hmm M3 is an A2 FM module.

Im doing M1/D1/FP1 for AS and FP2/M2/M3 for A2. it depends on how comfortable you are with mecanics or stats since i did S1 and S2 for my maths optional modules :smile: Im not sure how your school is going about doing M3 without M2 though; if you do physics it would help a lot though
KrishanM

I don't know if anybody has notice this but...if you're learning the units what I am, and taking the exams in Summer 2010, then you won't really be able to do it.

My teacher has talked to Edexcel and said that it is possible to take FP1 this Summer 2010 but M3 will have to be taken in Jan 2011.

Also, the website says:

Is anyone in the same situation as me?

I heard that this problem doesn't happen with the AQA version.

I am not really sure what you are trying to say here...

(i) Your school is not being very sensible with regards to the order in which you appear to being taught modules/
(ii) You can take any exam in any sitting you like, if you want to take m3 in the summer then no-one can stop you .... needless to say you will have rather few gaps in your knowledge.....
Reply 7
Revolution is my Name
Why the hell are you doing M3 of all units now?

yeah m3 is narrrsty

especially june 09 hehe
Reply 8
KrishanM

No it won't. You need three units for each. Also, as you can't use a "3" unit without taking the preceding "2" unit, you'd need to take M2.

This is true. There seem to be two possibilities:
1) You've been told incorrectly what modules you're taking, and you're actually taking M2 or something else.
2) Your maths teacher is an illogical weirdo who likes to mess things up for everyone. Shout at him/her.

You don't actually need C4, but yes, the situation is ludicrous.

This is not strictly true, you can take M3 in any exam session, however taking it then would be sensible as you'd've learnt M2 and C3.
Reply 9
You can't do M3 without M2. The units are progressive. M2 is not too tough but I dont know about M3 yet. Learning physics may help a little, but the truth is that M2 and M3 go way beyond the mechanics in the Physics syllabus.

You should have done to full Maths AL (C1 to C4, M1 and M2/S1/D1) this year and done the Further maths next year. But I assume your school does not provide that choice. I wonder why different schools plan the units in different ways?
Reply 10
Ok people, thanks for replys

Firstly, I definitely know I'll be taking FP1 and M3 in further maths. However, not too sure what other units i'll be doing in AS.

In AS, In mathematics, i'll be taking C1,C2,C3
In A2 mathematics, i'll be taking C3,C4, M2

In AS further mathematics, i'll be taking FP1 and M3 (as far as i'm aware)
In A2 further mathematics, I GUESS/THINK i'll be taking FP2, M4 (i've not been told)

My school can't really take the normal maths units (C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2) in one year and then do the further maths units (FP1,FP2,M3,M4) because.... there is not enough staff to teach us, and my school can't fit around doing this for my class. Therefore I have to learn the normal maths units with the other student who aren't doing further maths. And there is a separate class for further maths. If there was just a normal maths class with ONLY further maths students then it would be possible to do this.

I am currently learning C1,C2,M1 whilst doing FP1,M3 in another class. Therefore it is harder to learn subjects which I will need in FP1,M3.

My school says that I will have to do Further Maths for 2 years, therefore I cannot drop it. I guess this will allow me to complete the maths/further maths course.

I guess I can take M3 in the summer, however I might not learnt all the subjects and I might have to pay for the exam.

I hope this will clear any confusion
Reply 11
You need 6 modules to make up a full A level in Further Mathematics.

Latest