The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Almost none.
Reply 2
I doubt they'd even look at them with a strong degree and good A-Levels. Who cares how well you did at 16 when your 22?
Reply 3
Do look up individual unis, as some do have a specified minimum grades at GCSE in certain subjects even for graduates, usually maths/english.
Reply 4
Lost_Cause
Do look up individual unis, as some do have a specified minimum grades at GCSE in certain subjects even for graduates, usually maths/english.

They have that now but everyone knows the minimum requirements stuff is bs, they never accept anyone without atleast a semi-decent string of A/A*'s :frown:

I'm wondering if this minimum requirement stuff still holds true for GEP ?
Reply 5
xSkyFire
They have that now but everyone knows the minimum requirements stuff is bs, they never accept anyone without atleast a semi-decent string of A/A*'s :frown:

I'm wondering if this minimum requirement stuff still holds true for GEP ?

If you look on the uni websites/prospectus they usually have a separate section for GEP/graduates and what their requirements are. e.g. UCL want a minimum of B in GCSE english and maths for graduates. Be sure to check these, because i have a few friends who just assumed GCSEs wouldnt matter any more as a grad applicant, but they just got straight rejections saying they didnt meet the min requirements. So unless you took GCSEs a seriously long time before your grad application e.g. 10 years or something, they do still count. (and even then you should check with the uni first) By the way im assuming you mean for medicine? (as its on the med forum?)
Reply 6
Not a lot...
Will you even bother putting them on your application? lol thats how much.
I could only see the point if you were taking up a new language...
Reply 9
Lost_Cause
If you look on the uni websites/prospectus they usually have a separate section for GEP/graduates and what their requirements are. e.g. UCL want a minimum of B in GCSE english and maths for graduates. Be sure to check these, because i have a few friends who just assumed GCSEs wouldnt matter any more as a grad applicant, but they just got straight rejections saying they didnt meet the min requirements. So unless you took GCSEs a seriously long time before your grad application e.g. 10 years or something, they do still count. (and even then you should check with the uni first) By the way im assuming you mean for medicine? (as its on the med forum?)

I do meet the minimum requirements, I got A/B in English and Maths, I did my GCSEs in 1 yr with none of that retake stuff at a school where the pass rate was 30% for 5 A-C so relative to the students at my school it was fairly good. I've checked minimum requirements and I meet them but I wasn't sure about some hidden cutoffs they use for GEP that include GCSEs?
Like anyone cares what you got at 16. Besides, those grades are good :yy:
I don't even acknowledge that I have any GCSE's on my CV.
Trouser Snake
I don't even acknowledge that I have any GCSE's on my CV.

This.
Reply 13
Ohhhh! I thought you meant for jobs. I'd check with each Uni, but probably very very little if your degree is relevant and a good 2:1.
Not much at all. It's assumed you have basic literacy and numeracy skills by the time you've finished high school, college and univeristy.

A lot of the time applications ask for how many of each grade you have (e.g. 1 A, 5 Bs etc.), only specifying the grades for maths and english, so GCSEs only take up a single line. Certainly not something to take up loads of space on the CV, although it's probably not good to miss them out entirely.
Reply 15
Democracy
Like anyone cares what you got at 16. Besides, those grades are good :yy:

Well evidently medical schools do care, as they can often place a reasonable to high amount of weighting on them for undergraduate applications. I have no idea about postgrad, but it's incorrect to say nowhere cares what you got at 16.
Reply 16
DaveJ
Well evidently medical schools do care, as they can often place a reasonable to high amount of weighting on them for undergraduate applications. I have no idea about postgrad, but it's incorrect to say nowhere cares what you got at 16.

Exactly that ^^, that's what I'm wondering myself since there are GCSE cut offs for undergrads applying but what about graduates applying :s-smilie:
Reply 17
xSkyFire
Exactly that ^^, that's what I'm wondering myself since there are GCSE cut offs for undergrads applying but what about graduates applying :s-smilie:

I think there would still be cutoffs, but since you have a degree, they're less likely to care about how good your GCSE grades are once you've passed the cutoff. That's just what I THINK though, so don't assume I'm right. :p:
DaveJ

This thread is about people who have a degree...aka five years after they've finished GCSEs. In that situation, what I said is true, hence is applicable to this thread.

Once you're done nit picking...
I really hope not. My GCSEs are awful, I'm embarassed to put them in! Then again, I took them 10/11 years ago. Thankfully I've improved somewhat with age, and I've received a first. The result is a fairly lopsided CV.

I've considered taking a maths GCSE just to even things out in case people do ask, but I don't tend to mention them unless required. Applying to masters courses was nice, no GCSEs haunting me!

In my interview with Newcastle med school this year they even commented on my 'bizarre' application, heh.

Latest

Trending

Trending