The Student Room Group

A-levels, PHDs, Masters, what's the difference?

I don't know the differences between degrees, master degrees, PHD's, etc. I am currently y10 doing 9 gcses average predicted 7, and I am working extremely hard: say for the sake of this that I get 8/9s. I know I go to college and do A levels, (biology, chemistry and maths most likely), and then what is next after college? University? What type of qualification do I do first at University, and when do I actually learn HOW to do your job?

Need this cleared up, thanks!
Reply 1
I hope this helps. Scroll down to the poster called know your levels. I cant; seem to attach it as an image. If you choose A Levels you might then look at university to study an undergraduate qualification (degree in most instances). Through school, college and uni you are supported to develop the skills and knowledge to prepare you for the world of work. https://resourcefulcareers.co.uk/posters/
Original post by School_Student99
I don't know the differences between degrees, master degrees, PHD's, etc. I am currently y10 doing 9 gcses average predicted 7, and I am working extremely hard: say for the sake of this that I get 8/9s. I know I go to college and do A levels, (biology, chemistry and maths most likely), and then what is next after college? University? What type of qualification do I do first at University, and when do I actually learn HOW to do your job?

Focus on your GCSEs firsty before thinking of A-Levels and beyond that.
Original post by School_Student99

So you're right that after GCSEs you can go to college or sixth form and study for A-levels. After A-levels, many people choose to study at university for an undergraduate degree. These can be quite broad, but you'll usually be focused on one subject (or two if you do a joint degree).

Many companies and organisations have Graduate Schemes that people can join after their undergraduate degree - usually the subject you've studied doesn't matter that much. Otherwise, you can study for a postgraduate degree such as a master's degree if you choose to - these are usually much more specific. Some people do further training in specific fields (such as law or medicine) after their undergraduate degree, in order to pursue careers such as doctor.

A PhD is a level above a master's degree, which involves conducting original research. For most people, this will be part of a path to a career in academia at a university, though not always.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Pwca
So you're right that after GCSEs you can go to college or sixth form and study for A-levels. After A-levels, many people choose to study at university for an undergraduate degree. These can be quite broad, but you'll usually be focused on one subject (or two if you do a joint degree).

Many companies and organisations have Graduate Schemes that people can join after their undergraduate degree - usually the subject you've studied doesn't matter that much. Otherwise, you can study for a postgraduate degree such as a master's degree if you choose to - these are usually much more specific. Some people do further training in specific fields (such as law or medicine) after their undergraduate degree, in order to pursue careers such as doctor.

A PhD is a level above a master's degree, which involves conducting original research. For most people, this will be part of a path to a career in academia at a university, though not always.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the detailed answer: I appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest