Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :cry2:

I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I don't get it.
    It's known as (among other things) the "beach ball of death" and was (is?) infamous on macs for the same reason the bsod became infamous - panic, adrenaline rush, loss of work.

I guess it's something like an eternally burning flame is replaced by an eternally rotating beach ball? I've gone off xkcd recently and this particular one feels a bit like a weak stab at humour while also paying respect. Didn't feel like it worked to me...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    It's known as (among other things) the "beach ball of death" and was (is?) infamous on macs for the same reason the bsod became infamous - panic, adrenaline rush, loss of work.

I guess it's something like an eternally burning flame is replaced by an eternally rotating beach ball? I've gone off xkcd recently and this particular one feels a bit like a weak stab at humour while also paying respect. Didn't feel like it worked to me...
    I tend to refer to it as the Spinny Wheel of Doom. Generally it shows up when a program's crashed, so it just goes on and on forever. You can hold out faith that the dead program will revive itself, but inevitably, this just proves itself to be a futile wish. :moon:

Talking of xkcd, anybody got any other good webcomics or websites of intelligent humour (or something resembling it)?

I have xkcd, but prefer the supplement websites Toby, Dave & Ian Explain XKCD (loved this) and xkcd sucks. Sadly, updates on the former 'explain' website stopped a year ago. There's also Something of that Ilk and Cyanide and Happiness.

Any other humourous tidbits I get from Canvas. But I don't have much else.

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Talking of xkcd, anybody got any other good webcomics or websites of intelligent humour (or something resembling it)?

I have xkcd, but prefer the supplement websites Toby, Dave & Ian Explain XKCD (loved this) and xkcd sucks. Sadly, updates on the former 'explain' website stopped a year ago. There's also Something of that Ilk and Cyanide and Happiness.

Any other humourous tidbits I get from Canvas. But I don't have much else.

Any suggestions?
    I seem to remember a thread about this (or maybe it was a discussion in this thread...)
    I used to read xkcdsucks but it too went downhill when it changed 'ownership'.

I occasionally find amusement in phdcomics. There was another one (slightly less intelligent humour) that I stumbled across that I liked, but I seem to have lost it/never noted it down

(Original post by Chrosson)
    I seem to remember a thread about this (or maybe it was a discussion in this thread...)
    I used to read xkcdsucks but it too went downhill when it changed 'ownership'.

I occasionally find amusement in phdcomics. There was another one (slightly less intelligent humour) that I stumbled across that I liked, but I seem to have lost it/never noted it down
    I remember discussing it with you, where it was you actually that introduced me to the xkcd explained and xkcd sucks websites. PHDcomics looks good, bookmarked that.

That is precisely why I have a 'Interesting' bookmarks folder. Randomly bookmark things that look interesting, never lose a track of anything. :ninja:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I have a whole folder of these. :p: Knock yourself out:

SMBC - push the red button.
    Savage Chickens - 'cos they are.
    Invisible Bread (press pi!) and sister comic LHT
    Calamities of Nature - who knew animals knew so much about science?
    Buttersafe - the name is a good enough reason

ReputationRep:
    I remember discussing it with you, where it was you actually that introduced me to the xkcd explained and xkcd sucks websites. PHDcomics looks good, bookmarked that.

That is precisely why I have a 'Interesting' bookmarks folder. Randomly bookmark things that look interesting, never lose a track of anything. :ninja:

(Original post by Dez)

I can second SMBC, it may not be hugely intelligent all of the time but it can be insanely funny

It's gone very downhill recently, but this Twitter is pretty funny with a lot of Tech related quips: http://twitter.com/#!/FiWoProblems

First World Problems
    • I'm going to be late for work because somebody on the internet is wrong and I need to tell them that.
    • Dog knocked my laptop power cord out of the socket. Now I'll have to stand up at some point within the next hour before the battery dies.
    • I accidentally opened Internet Explorer and had to wait for it to finish opening before I could close it.
    • My coke fizzed too much when I poured it into my glass and I had to wait for the fizz to go down before I could continue pouring.
    • My computer broke so I have to keep listening to the same old 15,000 songs on my iPod.
    • My internet is so fast I don't have time to hit the "stop" button if I click a wrong link.
    • My flat screen TV takes a second to turn on. Sometimes i get confused if i actually turned it on and turn it back off by accident.
    • I use Google Chrome, so my lack of need to go to the actual Google domain causes me to miss most of the special occasion logos.
    • I accidentally touched my mouse while watching a movie. Now I have to wait a few seconds for the interface to go away.
    • Sometimes a gif doesn't download very fast and I have to look away until it is finished so i don't spoil it.
    • I accidentally clicked iTunes and had to wait 2 minutes for it to open before I could close it again.
    • I don't know what to do. My entire family is starving. The delivery guy is so late. We are all praying he didn't forget the garlic dip.
    • My WiFi doesn't reach around my house because it's too big.
    • I have 300 channels but I still open and close battery door on the remote to keep myself entertained.
    • Sometimes when I'm working with my 3 24" monitors I can't find my mouse cursor.
    • Sometimes I have to use paper textbooks. They don't have CTRL+F
    • The torrents I want least are downloading the fastest.
    • The wireless internet I am stealing isn't very fast.
    • My very attractive Hispanic nanny doesn't speak English well enough for me to discuss the possibility of an affair with her.
    • My laptop is low on battery, but the charger is over there.
    • My hand is too fat to shove into the Pringles container.
    • I couldn't stream a YouTube video in 720p HD, so I had to watch it in 480p SD like a hillbilly on dial-up.
    • The 2nd prize in a work contest was a Macbook Air, but I accidentally got 1st place instead and now I have to take a Caribbean cruise.
    • I'm thirsty but all I have is water.
    • I hit Ctrl-C when I meant to hit Ctrl-v. Now I have to go back to the original and hit Ctrl-C again.
    • I printed out a 200 page document. Then I threw it away and reprinted it on two sides so people wouldn't think I waste paper.

(Original post by Dez)

(Original post by tface)
    I can second SMBC, it may not be hugely intelligent all of the time but it can be insanely funny
    Fanks. :teeth:

It saddens me a bit that there are so many weird and wonderful things on the Internet but you'll probably never discover them. The joys of living in an age where there is too much information.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    It's gone very downhill recently, but this Twitter is pretty funny with a lot of Tech related quips: http://twitter.com/#!/FiWoProblems
    Seems pretty much all stolen from here.

(Original post by secretmessages)
    Seems pretty much all stolen from here.
    :beard:

Perhaps not from there itself as the Something Awful thread predates when it all first kicked off on Reddit but that link is much better seeing that there is voting on quality and more problems in general. Ta. Will keep me occupied when I'm bored.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    :beard:

Perhaps not from there itself as the Something Awful thread predates when it all first kicked off on Reddit but that link is much better seeing that there is voting on quality and more problems in general. Ta. Will keep me occupied when I'm bored.
    I meant the content on that Twitter account is lifted straight from Reddit, rather than the origin of the whole thing. But yeah, Reddit is good for a lot of things (and very addictive :ninja:).

ReputationRep:
    Related: http://twitter.com/#!/devops_borat
    "Devops remember best language for get you laid is Smalltalk!"
    "Big data analytic is show inverse correlation of time spend try be funny on twitter and time spend sexytime."
    :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    I tend to refer to it as the Spinny Wheel of Doom. Generally it shows up when a program's crashed, so it just goes on and on forever. You can hold out faith that the dead program will revive itself, but inevitably, this just proves itself to be a futile wish. :moon:
    An eternity appears to be no more than a second to one who waits for windows to reboot.

An old quote my tutor kept above his desk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    An eternity appears to be no more than a second to one who waits for windows to reboot.

An old quote my tutor kept above his desk.
    'Old' is correct

ReputationRep:
    and Cyanide and Happiness.
    Rep to you sir, C&H is genius [=

ReputationRep:

:teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RipperRoo)

:teehee:
    that's quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    A computer, a monitor and an external hard drive.
    Two wall sockets.
    No splitter.
    :nooo:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.