The Student Room Group

Is it too late to take up a sport at 17/18?

I've never taken part in sport (apart from snowboarding, which I can't do too often because it costs a fortune) :/ Everyone I know who is into a particular sport started at an early age but I've never been encouraged to. Is it too late to start? If not, how do you get involved if you've never played a sport before? (I am a fit, active person so I am capable, I think :/ )
Of course its not. Just contact the club and say you want to get involved.
Many people don't take up 'recreational' sports such as golf, snooker and fencing until their thirties.

I know of plenty of people who only start playing sports such as badminton and lacrosse when they get to 16/17 years old in any case.
Reply 3
No unless you want to go pro
Reply 4
marcusmerehay
Many people don't take up 'recreational' sports such as golf, snooker and fencing until their thirties.

I know of plenty of people who only start playing sports such as badminton and lacrosse when they get to 16/17 years old in any case.

How is fencing in any way a recreational sport?
Hmmm depends how seriously you are about it.

erm, not recreationally, by any means you're not too old.
Not at all, unless you want to be a pro. I also was never really encouraged to do sports much, but have taken up both badminton and kayaking fairly recently and found I soon became good enough to at least not be a total laughing stock! Then again - so what if you are really bad?
Reply 7
Thanks :smile: yeh, I want to start a sport for recreation, not planning on going pro lol!
around
How is fencing in any way a recreational sport?

I meant in relative terms. :p:

It's a damn sight more recreational (certainly individually) than something like rugby, hockey, football or cricket.
Reply 9
Yeah just make sure the group your joining is of similar ability....you dont wanna have a bad exp and then lose your confidence. Maybe play the sport with your friends before to practice
puma21

Not true. Take Simon Shaw, rugby player. Didnt pick up a ball seriously until he was 16. Not exactly the same age but y'know.
Reply 11
Chris, it's never too late to take up a sport, especially for recreation.

Sports are for fun, so you can take part at any age. Jimber's right, it's better to join a group of players with similar ability, you'll enjoy yourself more and it'll build your confidence.
Take up lacrosse. Greatest sport ever.
Nah, I used to do loads of sport when I was little but I didn't really like any of it to take it up for life. Now I've grown up a bit I know what I like - I've done some martial arts at age 15/16 (t'ai chi) but it was too slow for me so I've taken up Karate instead. I also started horse riding when I was like... 13/14? It's never too late to start - my dad took up cycling at age 50!!
Reply 14
Yep, too late, you've missed the boat, you're screwed.
Takes 5-10 years of proper training to make Olympic standard. 17-18 is definitely not too late for most sports. 30 probably is.
No it isn't. I started playing badminton at 17, I am 24 now and at good club standard so def not.

Just don't expect to be one of the best in the country.
Original post by puma21

Okay…so I want to start muay thai. I used to compete in karate kickboxing between the ages of 7 and 12 and then when I was 16 I started to practice the original karate for a couple of months. (And then stopped because there was a massive incident). I am 18 now and I am dying to get into a combat sport that only involves sparring and such. I know I am very gifted in the field. Yet…I have been starving myself for two years (long story) and I got to a breaking point where sports seem hardly possible at the intense level I used to practice them. I am definitely getting better but I am worried I am plainly dreaming since everyone keeps telling me it’s too late.
yes.. I will try relentlessly either way regardless of what people tell me haha. Plus I love sports especially combat. But will I be taken seriously?
No absolutely not

Quick Reply

Latest