Is it too late to take up a sport at 17/18? Watch

chris-carnage
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've never taken part in sport (apart from snowboarding, which I can't do too often because it costs a fortune) :/ Everyone I know who is into a particular sport started at an early age but I've never been encouraged to. Is it too late to start? If not, how do you get involved if you've never played a sport before? (I am a fit, active person so I am capable, I think :/ )
Double Agent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course its not. Just contact the club and say you want to get involved.
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Many people don't take up 'recreational' sports such as golf, snooker and fencing until their thirties.

I know of plenty of people who only start playing sports such as badminton and lacrosse when they get to 16/17 years old in any case.
puma21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No unless you want to go pro
around
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by marcusmerehay)
Many people don't take up 'recreational' sports such as golf, snooker and fencing until their thirties.

I know of plenty of people who only start playing sports such as badminton and lacrosse when they get to 16/17 years old in any case.
How is fencing in any way a recreational sport?
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmmm depends how seriously you are about it.

erm, not recreationally, by any means you're not too old.
chippyminton91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not at all, unless you want to be a pro. I also was never really encouraged to do sports much, but have taken up both badminton and kayaking fairly recently and found I soon became good enough to at least not be a total laughing stock! Then again - so what if you are really bad?
chris-carnage
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks yeh, I want to start a sport for recreation, not planning on going pro lol!
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by around)
How is fencing in any way a recreational sport?
I meant in relative terms. :p:

It's a damn sight more recreational (certainly individually) than something like rugby, hockey, football or cricket.
jimber
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah just make sure the group your joining is of similar ability....you dont wanna have a bad exp and then lose your confidence. Maybe play the sport with your friends before to practice
bighairedmike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by puma21)
No unless you want to go pro
Not true. Take Simon Shaw, rugby player. Didnt pick up a ball seriously until he was 16. Not exactly the same age but y'know.
sarah2g
Report 9 years ago
Chris, it's never too late to take up a sport, especially for recreation.

Sports are for fun, so you can take part at any age. Jimber's right, it's better to join a group of players with similar ability, you'll enjoy yourself more and it'll build your confidence.
Baltimoron
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Take up lacrosse. Greatest sport ever.
bananaslug77
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nah, I used to do loads of sport when I was little but I didn't really like any of it to take it up for life. Now I've grown up a bit I know what I like - I've done some martial arts at age 15/16 (t'ai chi) but it was too slow for me so I've taken up Karate instead. I also started horse riding when I was like... 13/14? It's never too late to start - my dad took up cycling at age 50!!
Kodias
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep, too late, you've missed the boat, you're screwed.
partoftheweekend
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Takes 5-10 years of proper training to make Olympic standard. 17-18 is definitely not too late for most sports. 30 probably is.
surviveinstyle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it isn't. I started playing badminton at 17, I am 24 now and at good club standard so def not.

Just don't expect to be one of the best in the country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.29%
Spring (36)
18.75%
Autumn/Fall (48)
25%
Winter (36)
18.75%
I love them all equally (10)
5.21%