The Student Room Group

My eyes keep getting worse, what should I do?

Just got my eyes checked again and I found out they're -5.75 and -6 (they have gotten worse from -5.25 in both eyes). I'm scared I might go blind or my eyesight my deteriorate much further. For reference I'm a 17 year old male and my parents both had bad eyesight (-4 for both parents). I have around 8-10 hours screentime (as a result of college and studies) and I don't know what to do. How can I slow down the worsening of my eyes? Will I still be able to get laser eye surgery? What age might my eyes stabilise? I got my glasses at around age 11 and I turn 18 in June. Thanks
Have you grown taller during the last year? I remember a teacher telling us that even if you stop getting taller the rest of your body still grows until adulthood. Sometimes there is a different diagnosis among different opticians so one tells you your eyesight has got a little bit worse by -0.5 and after 2 years another one says that now it's got better by +0.5. What did the optician say? Was the optician worried?
Original post by BreadForce
Have you grown taller during the last year? I remember a teacher telling us that even if you stop getting taller the rest of your body still grows until adulthood. Sometimes there is a different diagnosis among different opticians so one tells you your eyesight has got a little bit worse by -0.5 and after 2 years another one says that now it's got better by +0.5. What did the optician say? Was the optician worried?

No no they weren't worried, I ended up going because I felt my eyes had got worse. I haven't gotten taller either, I remember I grew 8 inches in lockdown and my eyesight went from -2 to -4.5 in the period of a year but recently I haven't grown much. It's really worrying me and I know you can't improve eyesight (only in rare cases you can) so what should I do? I like doing sports, (combat sports too), so the lack of eyesight is annoying.
Reply 3
Have you spoken to your optometrist about myopia control lenses?
Having frequent short breaks from screens is very helpful too.
Spending at least two hours a day outside can be beneficial for your overall health and for your eyes as well.

I've gone through a similar stage of deterioration while studying. It improved when I worked on overall good habits and eye exercises. I don't claim it works for everyone, but it can work.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
As above, take screen breaks. But also look online about Display Screen Equipment (DSE) assessments and make sure, as far as possible, that your laptop/desktop is in the optimal situation, eg correct distance to focus, no reflection on the screen etc...
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest