The Student Room Group

my 16 year old girlfriend wants me to go prom with her

im 19 and my 16 yr old gf wants me to take her to prom.
first question is is this even aloud in the uk?
would it be strange?
and how would we go about doing it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no
yes
dont
Reply 2
How come?
Help
Reply 4
I want to go with her tbh
But I don't even know if it's aloud
Reply 5
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be allowed.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Your prom or hers? If you look similarly aged it'd be allright im sure. The age gap isn't massive but you're at completely different stages in life and physical development which is what makes it a bit weird.
Break up with her, you’re at two totally different stages in life.
Original post by angelinahx
Break up with her, you’re at two totally different stages in life.

see this is not helpful is it?
I didn't ask u to tell me to break up with her, you know nothing about our relationship.
Original post by Randyyy
Your prom or hers? If you look similarly aged it'd be allright im sure. The age gap isn't massive but you're at completely different stages in life and physical development which is what makes it a bit weird.

its her prom and i am always being told i look younger.
You’d have to find out about the rules that her school give for prom etc
At mine we were not allowed to invite people to come with us that were not a member of our year group
However if it is allowed, it’s not that big of a problem, you’ll have fun together and ignore what others think. You won’t be the only older person there if they are allowed to invite people I guess. But at the same time, she needs to be able to have fun with her school friends as well as spending time with you, it’s the end of a long time spent with these people that she might not see again, and she needs to enjoy the experience of prom with her friends as well as having you there if that makes sense
Original post by Anonymous
see this is not helpful is it?
I didn't ask u to tell me to break up with her, you know nothing about our relationship.

I know that you’re 19 and dating a child. If you were in the US, you could be legally prosecuted for sexually assaulting a minor.
I’m 18 and I’d never date anyone three years younger than me.
I know that you’re 19 and dating a child. If you were in the US, you could be legally prosecuted for sexually assaulting a minor.
I’m 18 and I’d never date anyone three years younger than me.

No, the age of consent in the US is mainly 16. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_the_United_States#State_laws

If you had sex with someone 15, you would be breaking the law. OP's 3-year difference is not breaking the law.
technically she's underage and you're overage

i would end the relationship before things get worse for you
Original post by Notoriety
No, the age of consent in the US is mainly 16. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_the_United_States#State_laws

If you had sex with someone 15, you would be breaking the law. OP's 3-year difference is not breaking the law.

In my state he could be legally prosecuted (most Americans live in states with a 17 or 18-year old age of consent) and even in a situation like that, a 16 year old is an underage minor, a child.
(edited 5 years ago)
In my state he could be legally prosecuted, and even in a situation like that, a 16 year old is an underage minor, a child.

If OP were living in your state, and not the UK, then your post might be relevant or indeed interesting.
In my state he could be legally prosecuted (most Americans live in states with a 17 or 18-year old age of consent) and even in a situation like that, a 16 year old is an underage minor, a child.

This is the UK, not the USA, so I don't see the relevance to the OP's question of what might or might not happen in a foreign country.
Original post by Notoriety
If OP were living in your state, and not the UK, then your post might be relevant or indeed interesting.

It was a fundamental example to show you how inappropriate their relationship is. A 16 year old is a minor and if he was to **** her in the US, he’d be sent to adult prison which would imply their relationship... isn’t appropriate as it’s illegal in several jurisdictions.
Reply 18
I agree with these guys, you're a young adult dating a child. It's wrong.
Allowed*

Quick Reply

Latest