The Student Room Group

Marine Biology Uni's

Hey,

Ive had offers from plymouth newcastle and bangor to do marine biology. does anyone know which is better ranked or just has a better rep? I wanna take everything into consideration and dont really know what their reputations like

Thanks
Plymouth is the best in the UK for Marine Biology. I am almost certain, also when I looked at the course it was pretty nice. This was about a year ago though :/.
Reply 2
Plymouth isn't the best in the country for marine biology; southampton is, southampton is ranked (according to them) first in the world for marine biology.

Plymouth offers a diving qualification as part of their marine biology course. The actual course is meant to be very good; the university reputation is not so good; they're something like 63rd in the country overall. A marine biology degree from plymouth will be good if you want to go into marine biology but im not sure whether its as highly regarded as other degrees that ask for BBB entry which aren't marine biology.

Newcastle is a russell group university and in the top 25 so a degree from there on the whole would be more highly regarded; but for marine biology its probably pretty similar to Plymouth.

Bangor is supposed to be good for marine and earth sciences; i didnt even consider there so dont know much more; i think its between newcastle and plymouth in uni tables.

Im guessing your grades are something like:
Newcastle:ABB
Plymouth:BBB
Bangor:BCC

I dont think Bangors that good tbh and i didnt apply there or even think of applying there plus theres nothing to do. Maybe choose between Plymouth and newcastle.

Really a marine biology degree from any of these will be pretty similar in rep if you go into marine biology i'd think. I'd pick the uni on location (so visit them as well) and due to plymouths location and the fact that they offer dive qualifications i'd go there.
Reply 3
Hey, thanks.

Im really unsure. I think I like bangor because its a nice place and right on the sea. But the reputation newcastle has is also quite a big attraction
Original post by aplha_69
Hey, thanks.

Im really unsure. I think I like bangor because its a nice place and right on the sea. But the reputation newcastle has is also quite a big attraction

Hi! Can I ask which you chose?! I'm currently choosing between plymouth/newcastle and would like to know amount of contact/lecture/lab hours per week? Thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending