The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'd like that to be to true, but it's really not. At least not in my experience. Feminism has always felt like a bit of a pathetic stab back at men and then a bunch of freudian principals thrown into it. I used to be a feminist (yeah I'm a guy) because I thought it was about equality, but then I saw how feminists applied it and I was just like 'wtf'. If it was about equality, I imagine it would be called equalism....or something to that effect. :yes:
Reply 82
Libtolu
Feminism isn't the problem, feminists are.

You have all of what you have mentioned because of feminists of the past but what are you trying to get now?

Feminism isn't needed in todays society i see very little if any difference between the sexes so why is feminism still around?

And i don't know about the ugly part but feminists do like to moan and the girl who threw herself under a horse,although a potent statement, was ******* crazy there are better ways to do things but sacrificing yourself seems to be the easiest and craziest.

What do I want now?

I'd like more than 6.5% of reported rapes to end in a conviction (it's 25% in France btw)

I'd like rapists to get more than a year or two in prison

I'd like it if the idea that rape is the woman's fault was broken down, and then maybe more than 5-25% of rapes would actually be reported to the police

I'd like it if more could be done to get young girls to see themselves as capable of achieving great things, then maybe so many of us wouldn't have imposter syndrome (MUCH more common in females), and maybe we'd aim higher (it's been proved that when males and females get exactly the same marks in their degree, the male is more likely to go on to phd. Same thing is seen with black people and white people)

I'd like it if teachers could be more encouraging to women (it has been proven that if a male child and female child are of the same intelligence, the male will get more encouragement and support from the teacher!)

These are the things I am trying to get now.
MrHappy_J
I think it's because, since the BNP have become an increasingly powerful political party, people now think it's cool to be anti-PC.

Too true. It has become way too 'cool and edgy' to start discriminating these days.

Though in my opinion, the whole women-baiting thing has just become a bit of an internet meme. I don't think it's an act of REAL misogyny, but there you go.

The OP doesn't know what real feminism is, she's just seen a few shouty individuals.
Let's guess, Jeremy Clarkson's fantastic too right?

I only know one other person daft enough to be anti-feminist and he quotes Clarkson like he's the frigging Bible or something.

Edit: So yeah, try reading some actual proper feminist lit, and not just '101 Ways To Be Edgy, Topical And Ironic'.
O-Ren
What do I want now?

I'd like more than 6.5% of reported rapes to end in a conviction (it's 25% in France btw)

I'd like it if the idea that rape is the woman's fault was broken down, and then maybe more than 5-25% of rapes would actually be reported to the police

I'd like it if more could be done to get young girls to see themselves as capable of achieving great things, then maybe so many of us wouldn't have imposter syndrome (MUCH more common in females), and maybe we'd aim higher (it's been proved that when males and females get exactly the same marks in their degree, the male is more likely to go on to phd. Same thing is seen with black people and white people)

I'd like it if teachers could be more encouraging to women (it has been proven that if a male child and female child are of the same intelligence, the male will get more encouragement and support from the teacher!)

These are the things I am trying to get now.

This exactly.
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
Let's guess, Jeremy Clarkson's fantastic too right?

I only know one other person daft enough to be anti-feminist and he quotes Clarkson like he's the frigging Bible or something.

Edit: So yeah, try reading some actual proper feminist lit, and not just '101 Ways To Be Edgy, Topical And Ironic'.

My dad likes Jeremy Clarkson because he doesn't give a **** about anything. He doesn't seem to take life too seriously.

I'm indifferent towards him tbh. I'm just glad that he isn't a politician.
Reply 87
Question: How many men does it take to cook a meal?

Answer: None. It should be cooked by the time she brings it to the table.
O-Ren
What do I want now?

What a ridiculous thing to say. Legal cases need to be taken, well, on a case-by-case basis, we can't push for target conviction rates, haha.

"The defendant is clearly innocent but I am sorry to say that I am falling behind on this month's rape conviction quotas... I therefore find him guilty!"

O-Ren

Many do. "Rape" is not just a clear-cut thing that can get fixed sentances, anyway. Claims of "rape" can come about from the most simple and innocent of things, right up to the most awful assaults. There will always be a range of sentances handed out.

O-Ren

Well in many cases the woman will have acted in a terribly irresponsible way and got herself into trouble. Is it her fault? Is it his? The concept of "fault" really has no place here - there are many factors that lead to situations where afterwards women consider themselves to have been "raped", it's not always just one person's "fault".

O-Ren

There's a point where you have to just think that maybe women inherently do not want to do phds (for example). Why should we engineer society such that we have equal numbers of men and women doing phds? If women want to, but for some reason they feel that they "can't", then that's their ridiculous problem that needs to be addressed, sure - but any more than that and it just seems a bit creepy. It's like saying that we need more young men going into hairdressing, and we should have programs at school designed to encourage boys that they, too, can become a hair-dresser or a princess.

O-Ren

Proven, eh? The TSR referencing system, I see.
I think its fine to think either everyone has the right to their own opinion.
alicealice
I seem to be one of the few girls that loves both of these things...

I just see feminists as a crazy bunch of ugly women who like to moan (I know that I'm being really stereotypical but I don't care :rolleyes:)

And I looooooooove jokes that are sexist towards women, eg. A man ran over a woman. Whose fault was it? The man's: he shouldn't have been driving in the kitchen :love:

They're just genius :p:

Does anyone else feel this way? And anyone care to share any jokes? :wink:

Wow you're sooooo controversial.
Does that mean you sneer at women in the Third World and Middle East who fight in vain for the rights they're probably never going to be entitled to? They are "feminist" after all.

The odd sexist/racist joke is amusing. But to be that enthusiastic about them - particularly ones solely aimed at a certain group of people - is rather peculiar.
Reply 91
Antonia87
Wow you're sooooo controversial.
Does that mean you sneer at women in the Third World and Middle East who fight in vain for the rights they're probably never going to be entitled to? They are "feminist" after all.

The odd sexist/racist joke is amusing. But to be that enthusiastic about them - particularly ones solely aimed at a certain group of people - is rather peculiar.

Been reading too much crap from the media I see. The very same media which sells stories based on how "entertaining" or "attention grabbing" they are and not on how factual they are.

Look at the argument from both sides and you will see its totally different to how you imagine it to be.

No women are not stoned to death every minute as the media would have you believe. And on the positive side women have a large family to support them and are respected more than in the west where they are just sluts for entertainment. And yes, women in the Middle East can get a university education.
MrHappy_J
My dad likes Jeremy Clarkson because he doesn't give a **** about anything. He doesn't seem to take life too seriously.

I'm indifferent towards him tbh. I'm just glad that he isn't a politician.

I agree, I just hate it when people take him seriously and quote him when discussing actual feminism or politics or whatever.
Reply 93
exactly. There's extreme feminism and sexism as well. You can be a 'feminist' and believe in equality for women as well as enjoying a sexist joke. Let's be honest, sexist jokes aren't really sexist, they are poking fun at the idea of being sexist.
Reply 94
Exactly.
You can be a feminist and laugh at a sexist joke. Theres a difference between a joke and actually being sexist, the latter I assume you're against OP.
Most people (male or female) are feminists (whether or not they describe themselves as one or not) because most people believe in equality for both genders.
ciawhobat
What a ridiculous thing to say. Legal cases need to be taken, well, on a case-by-case basis, we can't push for target conviction rates, haha.

"The defendant is clearly innocent but I am sorry to say that I am falling behind on this month's rape conviction quotas... I therefore find him guilty!"

Sorry but wtf?

She is saying that more rapists should be convicted as clearly many are getting away with it, she isn't implying a rape conviction quota is necessary. If you think it's right that 6.5% of rape cases end in conviction then it follows that 93.5% of the people who claim they have been raped are malicious liars. I don't think that follows. The fact that the conviction rate is so low shows that many people are getting away with it. Do you really think 93.5% of those accused of rape and taken to court over it are not guilty?
9a3iqa
Been reading too much crap from the media I see. The very same media which sells stories based on how "entertaining" or "attention grabbing" they are and not on how factual they are.

Look at the argument from both sides and you will see its totally different to how you imagine it to be.

No women are not stoned to death every minute as the media would have you believe. And on the positive side women have a large family to support them and are respected more than in the west where they are just sluts for entertainment. And yes, women in the Middle East can get a university education.

Rubbish. These women would disagree with you -

Saudi Arabia

http://www.metransparent.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=8564&lang=en - oh look, women campaigning for the right to drive.

Eqypt and Africa

http://www.stop-killing.org/node/89 - campaign against female genital mutliation - 6000 women and girls mutilated every day.

Middle East

http://www.wluml.org/node/4722 - Arabic countries least advanced in matters of gender equality.

Africa

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5030008,00.html - campaigning for equal roles in politics.

There is tons of this stuff to find. Please dont use the whole "media" argument - its a poor one.

And western women are sluts are they? You and the OP could get on very well couldnt you. Moron.
Reply 97
ciawhobat

Don't be a ******* idiot. You know I didn't mean it like that! But when 6.5% of reported rapes in England end in a prosecution and 25% of reported rapes in France end in a prosecution there's clearly something wrong.

ciawhobat
Well in many cases the woman will have acted in a terribly irresponsible way and got herself into trouble. Is it her fault? Is it his? The concept of "fault" really has no place here - there are many factors that lead to situations where afterwards women consider themselves to have been "raped", it's not always just one person's "fault".

IT IS ALWAYS THE RAPISTS FAULT THAT THE RAPE TOOK PLACE. By the way you are only helping to prove my point, so thank you for cementing my argument :wink:

ciawhobat
There's a point where you have to just think that maybe women inherently do not want to do phds (for example). Why should we engineer society such that we have equal numbers of men and women doing phds? If women want to, but for some reason they feel that they "can't", then that's their ridiculous problem that needs to be addressed, sure - but any more than that and it just seems a bit creepy. It's like saying that we need more young men going into hairdressing, and we should have programs at school designed to encourage boys that they, too, can become a hair-dresser or a princess.

The bit in bold is exactly what I mean, the bit after is completely not what I mean.

ciawhobat
Proven, eh? The TSR referencing system, I see.

Here you go: Even when the teacher is chairing the conversation, boys are still in charge. Various studies have come up with the same conclusion: boys get more attention from teachers than girls do.

In one example, boys made twice as many contributions as girls, and talked for longer. This may have been in part because they were getting more encouragement from the teacher. The teacher was videotaped and her eyegaze monitored - she looked towards the boys for almost two thirds of the time, and in particular, she looked at the boys when she wanted an answer to a question.

and

In a study of children aged 2-5, parents interrupted their daughters more than their sons, and fathers were more likely to talk simultaneously with their children than mothers were. Jennifer Coates says: "It seems that fathers try to control conversation more than mothers... and both parents try to control conversation more with daughters than with sons. The implicit message to girls is that they are more interruptible and that their right to speak is less than that of boys.

Source: 'Classroom talk - girls vs boys'

By the way ciowhobat you are one of the most prolific misogynists on this site - Libtolu if you want proof that feminism is still needed, read through this guys old posts.
Reply 98
Antonia87
Rubbish. These women would disagree with you -

Saudi Arabia

http://www.metransparent.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=8564&lang=en - oh look, women campaigning for the right to drive.

Only 1 country, in the rest they can drive

Eqypt and Africa

http://www.stop-killing.org/node/89 - campaign against female genital mutliation - 6000 women and girls mutilated every day.

Its an un-Islamic practise, its just ignorance from villagers (doesn't happen in towns and cities)

Middle East

http://www.wluml.org/node/4722 - Arabic countries least advanced in matters of gender equality.

That's according to western standards, Gender equality in western mentality means women trying to imitate men.

Africa

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5030008,00.html - campaigning for equal roles in politics.

Africa has nothing to do with this.

There is tons of this stuff to find. Please dont use the whole "media" argument - its a poor one.

And western women are sluts are they?

Yes, western women are sluts. Its pretty obvious if you had any morality missy.

Again this only proves your prejudice and lack of knowledge about the Middle East. You do not understand and have no knowledge of what's going on. If you don't know what you are talking about I suggest you keep your blabbering mouth sealed.
I hate this idea that women shouldn't be in the kitchen and should have this awesome career and everything - yeah it's OKAY if you are a woman and you prefer that, but personally I love cooking and cleaning. Piss off, I'm staying in my god damn kitchen!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending