The Student Room Group

gcse english speech

heyyy
i’m going into year 11 in september and am just thinking ahead for the english speaking exam. we haven’t really been told much about it but we did a practice one in year 9 which I completely failed.
I was wondering how to figure out my topic bc last time my teacher said to do a topic that means soemthing to you but there isn’t really anything i’m passionate about so I have no idea what to do. Most people did stuff like racism, sexism, feminism etc but I done know what I should do.
also any tips on how to be more confident when presenting my speech as this was what I lost marks on mainly last time. I am quite introverted and don’t like speaking to people so I find it hard to speak in front of my class about a certain topic
Any help would be really appreciated tyyy
Reply 1
Original post by agent_duck343
heyyy
i’m going into year 11 in september and am just thinking ahead for the english speaking exam. we haven’t really been told much about it but we did a practice one in year 9 which I completely failed.
I was wondering how to figure out my topic bc last time my teacher said to do a topic that means soemthing to you but there isn’t really anything i’m passionate about so I have no idea what to do. Most people did stuff like racism, sexism, feminism etc but I done know what I should do.
also any tips on how to be more confident when presenting my speech as this was what I lost marks on mainly last time. I am quite introverted and don’t like speaking to people so I find it hard to speak in front of my class about a certain topic

Ciao again!

I did my speech last month and I got a distinction. Which I am surprised as I thought I wouldn't get it😅

Yes you should do a topic your passionate about and smth unique ig? Do smth you could talk abt for hours that's how me and my friends got distinctions.

Mine was abt the academy my school was in and how the educational system in a way has failed us.

I only got a month to prepare so my tips would be fake it till u make it. So even if your not confident seem like it, it helps. Use que cards or a PowerPoint to help guide urself but also for the audience so it could help them understand it (if necessary).

For the love of God (boys who did in front of the whole class sorry all the girls did it priv so idk if they made this common mistake). DON'T READ FROM YOUR NOTES. that's how u lose marks. You can occasionally look at it but engaging with the audience is the most important. If eye contact is an issue, my teacher said to do this, look above ppls heads, so it looks like ur looking at ppl but you ain't. Confidence - practice it so you know it so that will ease ur worries a bit.

Practice at home. Literally speak aloud, I did that no matter how bonkers I sounded to my family😭 you could also ask friends to give you feedback on it

Keep the audience engaged be a bit hearty ig? Idrk how to put it sorry comedy???

I'm introverted but I had friends to encourage so that mainly helps. You could ask ur teacher to do it privately. However, you need an audience so ask your friends to do so if they don't mind only if your rlly scared abt talking in front of ppl.

If you need anything else happy to help
Reply 2
Original post by Trickia
Ciao again!

I did my speech last month and I got a distinction. Which I am surprised as I thought I wouldn't get it😅

Yes you should do a topic your passionate about and smth unique ig? Do smth you could talk abt for hours that's how me and my friends got distinctions.

Mine was abt the academy my school was in and how the educational system in a way has failed us.

I only got a month to prepare so my tips would be fake it till u make it. So even if your not confident seem like it, it helps. Use que cards or a PowerPoint to help guide urself but also for the audience so it could help them understand it (if necessary).

For the love of God (boys who did in front of the whole class sorry all the girls did it priv so idk if they made this common mistake). DON'T READ FROM YOUR NOTES. that's how u lose marks. You can occasionally look at it but engaging with the audience is the most important. If eye contact is an issue, my teacher said to do this, look above ppls heads, so it looks like ur looking at ppl but you ain't. Confidence - practice it so you know it so that will ease ur worries a bit.

Practice at home. Literally speak aloud, I did that no matter how bonkers I sounded to my family😭 you could also ask friends to give you feedback on it

Keep the audience engaged be a bit hearty ig? Idrk how to put it sorry comedy???

I'm introverted but I had friends to encourage so that mainly helps. You could ask ur teacher to do it privately. However, you need an audience so ask your friends to do so if they don't mind only if your rlly scared abt talking in front of ppl.

If you need anything else happy to help

Also do some breathing techniques in case anxiety gets out of hand. I had smth in my hand to fidget with to help with nerves(it litch was my que card, a piece of paper I was playing with)
tysmmm @Trickia you are such a lifesaver for my english xx
Reply 4
definitely don't do something that you aren't into- it will show if you are passionate or not, and delivery is important. you don't have to a social issue either, a kid in my class did his speech on how much he loved cars and got a distinction- the more unique the better i think.
heyyy

Hi! Mine was a while ago but I still remember how nervous I was! I too am really introverted and I was shaking all the way through mine but did receive a Distinction. I personally did mine on a cause I felt passionate about which did help me speak as I did care about what I was saying, but I know people who did lots of different stuff. You could talk about certain music, films, books etc. Try avoid just reading from your notes and take deep breaths. I was terrified when I did mine but it will be over before you know it!
Reply 6
tysmmm @Trickia you are such a lifesaver for my english xx

Dw abt it you helped me aswell xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending