The Student Room Group

Which Language should i learn?

I really feel motivated to learn a new language, i was thinking 'Mandarin', is this a good choice? But i don't want it to be too hard and i heard Mandarin was very complicated.

How about Cantonese if not Mandarin?

Which one? :s-smilie: And Why?

I'd like to add, that I aim to take either Philosophy, Psychology or Genetics.
And I have family members who can help me out in Cantonese.

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you should learn something more useful than Cantonese and Mandarin?
Reply 2
You could learn Spanish, that's pretty useful.
Reply 3
What other options, if any, are available to you? And do you have any idea of what you might want to do in future with a language?
Reply 4
I don't think cantonese is easier than mandarin for people who don't know a tonal language. Both are similar in terms of grammar, and they have the same writing system. The grammar is very basic, the only unusual (people also consider it hard because it's quite different to languages like french, spanish) thing is the characters instead of an alphabet and the different tones. Like a lot of concepts in languages, they are both easy if you get the basics. If you get used to the characters, learning new ones should be like learning a new word in french and not memorising a picture. In Mandarin tones are very important, if you don't put any effort into making the different tones when speaking, chances are people won't understand you. Mandarin has four tones, so that's alright. I think cantonese has more tones though. If you have a musical background you may find it easier than others.
If you've had no, or very little, experience learning languages, then any chinese dialect is going to be VERY difficult. Why not try something simpler, like Spanish, which is also very useful? And then maybe later you could take up Mandarin?
Well, maybe look first to see what courses are available to you and then see which interests you the most.
KayK
I really feel motivated to learn a new language, i was thinking 'Mandarin', is this a good choice? But i don't want it to be too hard and i heard Mandarin was very complicated.

Check out this site:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/languages/index.html

It compares difficulty, usefulness and why you should learn it.

Mandarin is 5/5 for difficulty. So yeah, wouldn't go for that if you're not up to a challenge. Cantonese is also 5/5.

According to the tables the easiest to learn are Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Indonesian (and Esperanto :p:)
Reply 8
live_on_fascination
If you've had no, or very little, experience learning languages, then any chinese dialect is going to be VERY difficult. Why not try something simpler, like Spanish, which is also very useful? And then maybe later you could take up Mandarin?

I already do, I also speak Arabic, Urdu, Persian and Polish - The most obv is English lol.
Reply 9
Cantonese would be more difficult than Mandarin.

Why not try learning languages that are closer to home like Spanish or French?
KayK
I already do, I also speak Arabic, Urdu, Persian and Polish - The most obv is English lol.

Polski! Ja tez, ale nie pisze tak dobrze! :o:

Anyway you've proven you can master tough languages, so with that I'd say go for it! You just have to choose now which dialect you'd prefer :smile:
Reply 11
Butterflyleg

Mandarin is the 2nd or 3rd most demanded language in the financial sector atm because of the constant expansion of China's economy. I can't remember the exact order but I did a presentation on it for my lower school, Arabic and Hindi are in there somewhere aswell.
Reply 12
Try your best but if your'e not serious you will never be able to learn it.
Reply 13
KayK

wow, fluently?
Russian or german maybe :smile:
Reply 14
jpatel10
Mandarin is the 2nd or 3rd most demanded language in the financial sector atm because of the constant expansion of China's economy. I can't remember the exact order but I did a presentation on it for my lower school, Arabic and Hindi are in there somewhere aswell.

I can speak Hindi (sort of, its very similar to Urdu) and Arabic :biggrin:
Reply 15
KayK
I can speak Hindi (sort of, its very similar to Urdu) and Arabic :biggrin:

Then surely learning Mandarin would further add to your repatoire?
Butterflyleg

like Swahili :yep:

Prince William speaks it

and so do I
Reply 17
KayK

I'd like to add, that I aim to take either Philosophy, Psychology or Genetics.
And I have family members who can help me out in Cantonese.

Don’t be deterred from learning a language due to its difficulty; learn it because it’s specifically important to you.
if you remember correctly in kill bill, Pai Mei only allowed the bride to speak cantonese to him. Therefore, cantonese is your best option if you plan to be an assassin.
Reply 19
Butterflyleg

Like what?

Latest

Trending

Trending