The Student Room Group

how to learn new languages?

Any ideas on how i can learn a new language?
I tried duolingo and it did help me but idk i just dont find it that helpful especially when it comes to turning the actual grammer. I wanna learn mainly russian but i love learning everything so any useful books, apps, websites etc?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Any ideas on how i can learn a new language?
I tried duolingo and it did help me but idk i just dont find it that helpful especially when it comes to turning the actual grammer. I wanna learn mainly russian but i love learning everything so any useful books, apps, websites etc?

I get what you mean with duolingo not really being useful for grammar. languages online is pretty decent for grammar I used it throughout school for learning French, even at A level. It doesn't have Russian, but it does have French, German, Spanish, Italian and Latin. Also wordreference.com is a great language dictionary (it has English-Russian and Russian-English); for Spanish, French, Italian and English it also does conjugations for verbs.

Unfortunately I have no experience with learning Russian… just from a quick internet search this Master Russian site came up (not secure though) as well as learnalanguage.com (mostly lists of words) and learnrussianstepbystep.com.
I've been using urdupod101 to learn urdu and it's been very helpful for me so far (just by using the free resources on their site, as well as watching the videos on their YouTube channel) so you could try russianpod101 - I'll link it below. You could also try watching Russian shows/films or shows/films you already like but dubbed in Russian - this is a very easy and enjoyable method for learning any language to a conversational level and you will pick up the basic grammar whilst watching without even thinking about it. Maybe keep a notebook with you to note down all the new vocab you learn as well. Also try starting a journal in Russian - it doesn't have to be much, you could just start by writing a couple entries of short sentences a week and with time you will be able to write more and increase in confidence. If you know anybody who speaks Russian fluently you could ask them if you can practise your speaking skills with them or even have them check your Russian journal entries so they can provide you with useful corrections and feedback. A quick search online should help you find Russian YouTubers and podcasts too which allows you to really expose yourself to the language beyond the surface level. Apologies for not being able to provide more Russian-specific advice, but I hope these general language learning tips help.

https://www.russianpod101.com/russian-vocabulary-lists/

Quick Reply

Latest