The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Selecting Optional Module

Hi. I have to select one optional module (20 credits) for my Maths course. However, the obvious choices (Computing and Maths, for example) are not available because of clashes. I tried another subject and it was rejected by the department because of timetabling issues. It's almost impossible to navigate the timetable the university provides when you try and ascertain clashes as it is populated with everyone's tutorial groups, etc. How can I find a module which will be accepted and which is not in some random subject in which I have no interest? Who should I contact about this? Any help would be very welcome.
Speak with your personal tutor. I would be surprised if every maths optional module clashed with the required core modules though as that would be a serious error in timetabling as that issue would affect every student on that degree programme. If there are clashes preventing any module from your department being selected then it should be highlighted to your personal tutor anyway as they may need to manually change the timetabling of some of their modules as a result.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Speak with your personal tutor. I would be surprised if every maths optional module clashed with the required core modules though as that would be a serious error in timetabling as that issue would affect every student on that degree programme. If there are clashes preventing any module from your department being selected then it should be highlighted to your personal tutor anyway as they may need to manually change the timetabling of some of their modules as a result.

Thanks. But the optional module has to be OUTSIDE the Maths course, hence the issues. Sorry if I was not clear
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. But the optional module has to be OUTSIDE the Maths course, hence the issues. Sorry if I was not clear

Ah I see. Well just keep checking the ones of interest and see what the timetable is like. For the tutorials you just need to focus on the lecture times as they'll assign you to a non-clashing tutorial slot.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Ah I see. Well just keep checking the ones of interest and see what the timetable is like. For the tutorials you just need to focus on the lecture times as they'll assign you to a non-clashing tutorial slot.

Ok thank you for your help

Hey

You may not have considered this before but if you're interested in learning a new language, I'd suggest picking up a language module offered by CFLS. I'm a law student but studied Korean as an option module in my second year and will be continuing the next stage in my third year as well. It's been a really cool experience for me. If you're able to take optional modules from the first year, you can basically study all 3 levels of a language during your uni degree. That gives you something extra to add to your CV also!

It's definitely a bigger commitment compared to your course modules though because you'd usually have about 3 x 1 hour seminars each week + some independent study also. But if you're genuinely interested in learning, I think you'd find it very interesting like I did.

-Himieka
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Durham Students
Hey

You may not have considered this before but if you're interested in learning a new language, I'd suggest picking up a language module offered by CFLS. I'm a law student but studied Korean as an option module in my second year and will be continuing the next stage in my third year as well. It's been a really cool experience for me. If you're able to take optional modules from the first year, you can basically study all 3 levels of a language during your uni degree. That gives you something extra to add to your CV also!

It's definitely a bigger commitment compared to your course modules though because you'd usually have about 3 x 1 hour seminars each week + some independent study also. But if you're genuinely interested in learning, I think you'd find it very interesting like I did.

-Himieka

That’s very helpful. Thank you. I did see that languages were an option and had been pondering the possibility. Think Korean might be a stretch for me however! But thank you for your helpful reply.
That’s very helpful. Thank you. I did see that languages were an option and had been pondering the possibility. Think Korean might be a stretch for me however! But thank you for your helpful reply.

Always happy to help! Yeah I chose it because I didn't like any of the other law modules plus this gave me something interesting to do also. Yeah Korean could be difficult haha, but there are several languages on offer so do check them out- here's the link- https://www.durham.ac.uk/departments/centres/foreign-language-study/credit-bearing-modules-in-foreign-languages/

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest