The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Common sense leads me to believe that there are probably more in England.
Reply 3
England.
/thread.
Reply 4
Not sure. Probably England because it has a larger area for there to be castles than Wales. If England and Wales were the same size they would probably be more equal numbers. Its really interesting though to think about. (Gosh thats geography, archaeology and history in a couple of sentences)
Reply 5
Even without quantitive measurements, in everyday experience, I'd say there's more in England than Wales :P I swear there're so many castles/ruins here that just aren't of much significance to many people but whenever I return and travel to Wales, every castle has visitors and is seemingly being improved in some way.

Caerphilly Castle and Castell Coch need to be visited by all :gthumb:
Reply 6
I thought Bavaria was the Castle Capital

Anyway, as for the OP, I wasn't really sure but having looked it up its definitly England.
Wales is the castle capital and my boyfriend who is full of information said there were more castles in Wales. Wales built a lot of castles trying to defend itself from the attacking English, but i don't know the answer for sure. I might be getting married at Caerphilly castle.
Reply 8
hippieglitter
Wales is the castle capital and my boyfriend who is full of information said there were more castles in Wales. Wales built a lot of castles trying to defend itself from the attacking English, but i don't know the answer for sure. I might be getting married at Caerphilly castle.

No, England built a lot of castles to control Wales. I think it was Edward that just ringed the whole country in series upon series of fortifications. Look at the dates they were built if you don't believe me.

If they were the same size, Wales would have more. England however, has more by virtue of a) being much bigger and b) having more population to control.

Castles really existed for point b) - England could not of been controlled with few castles. It is just necessary to control a country in that era. There are castles everywhere in England, the difference is we don't make a big deal about them. Although Wales probably has more "super-castles", that just reflected military necessity.

Castle capital is just a reflection of the density of castles not aggregate numbers.

Latest

Trending

Trending