The Student Room Group

how to tell if you’re doing an Ordinary degree or an honours degree?

I assumed all degrees are honours degrees. Can you get put on an ordinary degree stream if you do bad in your exams?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I assumed all degrees are honours degrees. Can you get put on an ordinary degree stream if you do bad in your exams?

In England you would normally be doing an honours degree course. The only way you'd be awarded an ordinary degree is if you don't pass all your modules in the final year. An ordinary degree would be awarded if you've been awarded at least 300 credits but less than the 360 you need to get honours.

I believe Scotland has a different system which I'm not familiar with.
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
In England you would normally be doing an honours degree course. The only way you'd be awarded an ordinary degree is if you don't pass all your modules in the final year. An ordinary degree would be awarded if you've been awarded at least 300 credits but less than the 360 you need to get honours.

I believe Scotland has a different system which I'm not familiar with.

Can an ordinary degree affect job prospects? Also, would it not be graded with a 1st, 2:! !,2:2 or third ?
Reply 3
Can an ordinary degree affect job prospects? Also, would it not be graded with a 1st, 2:! !,2:2 or third ?

It's better than having no degree at all, but not as good as an honours degree. An ordinary degree is not classified. When you refer to "a 1st, a 2:1, a 2:2, or a third", those are references to the honours classification -- i.e. "with first class honours", "with upper second class honours", "with lower second class honours", "with third class honours".

If you aren't in Scotland an ordinary degree isn't something you need to worry about, until/unless you are failing your final year.

An ordinary degree is a 'slightly better than completely failed' degree in England and Wales or a degree awarded at the equivalent of 'end of second year in England or Wales' from a Scottish Uni. In both cases they are not very valuable outside Scotland and will affect job prospects for graduate roles.

But again, every English and Welsh degree is an Honours degree unless you fail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending