The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for Welsh Student finance?

Hello, I am a student from England who studies in Wales at Swansea University, I originally applied for student finance England however I have recently learnt that I am eligible for Welsh Student finance as I satisfy the requirements of: you're a UK national, Irish Citizen or have settled status
you’ll be living in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of your course
you’ve been living in the UK and Islands for 3 years before starting your course.

I only realised my eligibility once I started making friends with Welsh people and discussing finance. Anyway to cut to the point I'm wondering if I could switch from Student finance England to student finance Wales, as it's a much fairer system and the maximum maintenance loan being nearly 12k rather than 10k. And regardless of income you can get the full 12k just less of it is a grant if your richer.
It would be great if anyone who's been in a similar situation could help me.
Original post by Khawk0
Hello, I am a student from England who studies in Wales at Swansea University, I originally applied for student finance England however I have recently learnt that I am eligible for Welsh Student finance as I satisfy the requirements of: you're a UK national, Irish Citizen or have settled status
you’ll be living in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of your course
you’ve been living in the UK and Islands for 3 years before starting your course.

I only realised my eligibility once I started making friends with Welsh people and discussing finance. Anyway to cut to the point I'm wondering if I could switch from Student finance England to student finance Wales, as it's a much fairer system and the maximum maintenance loan being nearly 12k rather than 10k. And regardless of income you can get the full 12k just less of it is a grant if your richer.
It would be great if anyone who's been in a similar situation could help me.

Hi there,

If your course hasn't started you would need to cancel the application with us then apply via SFW. You maybe best calling SFW first to double check you're eligible with them.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
My course has already started and I will be entering my second year in September.
Original post by Khawk0
My course has already started and I will be entering my second year in September.

Hi there, you would need to contact Student Finance Wales and discuss your eligibility with them. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending