The Student Room Group

Help with NHS Wales Bursary when living in England

Hi there, I'm currently looking at going to university in Wrexham in September to study adult nursing.

I have opted for the NHS Wales bursary but after what they awarded me I decided to opt out of it as it wasn't enough to live on as I have a family also.
So now I'm going to apply for the full SFE loan.
Can I still apply for some NHS bursary from NHS Wales without having to opt in to them paying me tuition fees??

My partner is also a nurse and she gets funding from SFE and NHS England as she goes to university in England.

Any help would be appreciated as it's quite confusing!

Thanks!
Original post by Kelhamknows
Hi there, I'm currently looking at going to university in Wrexham in September to study adult nursing.

I have opted for the NHS Wales bursary but after what they awarded me I decided to opt out of it as it wasn't enough to live on as I have a family also.
So now I'm going to apply for the full SFE loan.
Can I still apply for some NHS bursary from NHS Wales without having to opt in to them paying me tuition fees??

My partner is also a nurse and she gets funding from SFE and NHS England as she goes to university in England.

Any help would be appreciated as it's quite confusing!

Thanks!

From the research I did (for my daughter's AHP course), I think it's all or nothing for the NHS Wales bursary. If you opt in, your tuition fees are covered but - as you have found out - the maintenance loan entitlements (from the bursary and SFE) are pitiful for England-based students. Welsh students get a better deal as the maintenance loan they can apply for through student finance (£5,360) is double the figure for English students (£2,605). Also, there doesn't appear to be any support to cover the additional accommodation and travel expenses associated with placements, unless unis provide direct support for this. The NHS Learning Support Fund for students studying in England seems much more generous as it allows students to apply for the standard finance as normal and then pays a non-means-tested annual training grant and covers placements expenses. My daughter didn't apply to Cardiff in the end, as it didn't make any financial sense.

The following page might be of some help from the Cardiff website:

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/funding/funding-your-healthcare-course/nhs-bursary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending