The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HEAD BOY
Be prepared evrybody! Now A levels are over, we are going to get all the crap from the media and the goverment saying that GCSE's are getting easier!
Get ready everybody....! :rolleyes:

we wont listen.....'la la la la la....i cant hear you....' method :rolleyes: xoxo
tammy_girl
we wont listen.....'la la la la la....i cant hear you....' method :rolleyes: xoxo

Exactly :smile:

I think I might stop reading the paper for a few days...
LouisaG
Exactly :smile:

I think I might stop reading the paper for a few days...

It isn't that GCSE's are getting easier, it is that we are getting cleverar- the journalists are just jealous that our generation is cleverar than theirs.
The journalists can't get over their own thickness.
Reply 5
Same thing every year. On the news they say good luck with results, but then lower your acheivement by saying the exams are getting easier!? Well, thanks for that!
Reply 6
Protest is futile. Nothing will be able to change the head-up-arse sensationalists; it's what they do. They have nothing else to write about in August, so they naturally resort to attacking British students. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Many journalists' jobs are duck and skive jobs, and so when they see someone actually achieving becuse of acdemic performance, opposed to mingling with the champagne crowd in the Groucho club, it angers them.
Hey, I survived the 'A-levels are getting easier' phase without killing anyone (just :biggrin: ) so you'll get through it too.
Reply 9
Yeh i think its rediculous, we worked hard for 2 years just as the a-level lot and then told that theyre geting easier, thats just taking the mick
Matthew1989
It isn't that GCSE's are getting easier, it is that we are getting cleverar- the journalists are just jealous that our generation is cleverar than theirs.

We haven't got more intelligent we are just prepared better for exams, also coursework is now worth a lot!
Reply 11
No. GCSEs are (getting) easier.
erk
No. GCSEs are (getting) easier.

So they are actually getting easier? Well how are they doing that, surley there must be rules to keep them to a certain standard?
Reply 13
Oh, and guys, be prepared for the 'girls have done better than boys' thing as well.
I doubt it will be as bad as the "A levels are too easy" nonsense coming out of the media since A-levels have been around in a similar form for 23 years while GCSEs haven't been around for as long a period.
Most of you are doing us no favour by saying 'it's just because the journos are jealous etc.' That just shows immaturity and a lack of intelligence.

Journolists are just reporting what the statistics are saying. The problem is that fact that like with all statistics, they are mean anything you want them to. An a level pass to me is C+ but it is collated as E+ therefore 5 out of 6 possible grades are counted as passes. therefore on pure probability the pass mark would be 84%, not far off the 96.2%. With more people than ever continueing onto A levels it means that higher grades are needed to differentiate and students know this and work harder for the better grades.

The inflation in grades and number of passes is due to the better teaching that is provided and the less autonomy that is expected of us.

There are 2 views you can have on exams

1 saying that only a certain percentages should get a certain grade. this results in easy differentiation between students, but brings trouble when trying to differentiate between a 2 people with B grades applying for a job who did their a levels 20 years apart, the standard isn't the same.

2 the system we have now where a set intelligence gets a grade so as better teaching evolves then better marks follow.

If you read the sun you will read about the government dumbing down qualifications, if you read a broadsheet you will read and understand what is causing the inflation in gardes.
Reply 16
Journalists are **** stirring, because that's what sells papers, and selling papers gives them a nice fat bonus.
Reply 17
Teachers are becoming more efficient at training the students to perform well at 'getting the grades' in GCSE, rather than actaully instilling some basic understanding into the students' heads.
Reply 18
grr its awful. I hate that fact that WE get blamed for doing well! Its not our fault that the exams are easier than they were in the 50s, or that the government want more people sititng Alevels. Its total rubbish.

My mum is a teacher and she is awful to live with at the moment. Every time the news is on she tells me that we all get it easy and that is nothing like it was 'back in the day' grrr I could go on all day about itbut tahts not going to get me anywhere. I'm going to pleased with my grades whatever I get, and I hope that I will do well at Alevel and get to university.

I agree VazzyB that teachers are getting better at tesching us the sylabus and not the core information for the entire subject. Its more an emphasis of passing exams rather than helping us understand a topic. Which is probably the governments fault (blame the government for everything!) for setting targets and pressurising schools to do well. Its probably to do with legue tables too.
sheepgirl
I agree VazzyB that teachers are getting better at tesching us the sylabus and not the core information for the entire subject. Its more an emphasis of passing exams rather than helping us understand a topic. Which is probably the governments fault (blame the government for everything!) for setting targets and pressurising schools to do well. Its probably to do with legue tables too.

Very good point- so much in education now a days is just jumping through hoops. I mean if you look at a GCSE English essay it can be a **** peice of writing but because it has successfully completed the task it will get a good 80% of the marks.

The problem is the goverment no longer trust teachers to teach- in the 50's a mark was given on a gut instinct by the teacher- whilst I am not saying that is fair it meant that teachers could give marks for things that may not neccaserally been on the syllabus. You can't list everything that makes an answer good- but the goverment dosen't seem to get that. I know as a fact that this has made teachers lifes less enjoyable even if it has made it easier to understand exactlly what we need to know.

Matthew

Latest