The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
We had four toilets, two showers and a bath between 26 people. Only once or twice did I find that both showers were in use then I just used the ones downstairs. Occasionally someone throws up in one of the cubicals but if that happens you can just use another one. Everything's cleaned daily as well which is nice.
nothing hard core ,the most it can happened to you is to find in the morning a passed out drunk flatmate slipping on his urines
I share with 4 other people (two boys, two girls) and we've got two bathrooms (shower and toilet). We don't tend to use one of the bathrooms because the ceiling above the shower cracked and the floor was covered in dirty water. Even though we've had it fixed, it smells awful, regardless of how much air freshener we use. We clean the bathrooms ourselves, but luckily everyone chips in, and they're kept very clean.

I'd prefer an ensuite (mainly because I'm extremely lazy) but like most people have said, it'll be rare when you'll have to wait because someone else is using it.
Reply 424
shared with 6. no biggy. just make sure you have your own little personal stash of loo roll as well as the ones you buy when its your turn as someone will inevitably forget.
Horrid. Just find some woods.
Reply 426
start getting used to looking at a ****-caked toilet bowl
Its horrible! I absolutely hate it! I am living in a house on campus with 8 other people. We have two toilets,two showers and one bath. We have an International Chinese housemate who insists on washing his clothes in the shower :s-smilie: Which means that the floor is almost like a river when he has done. I am not exaggerating,he often floods the bathroom. He also has a basin full of black stuff,which he then drains down the sink,which often clogs up the sink. I don't know,maybe I just have a high hygiene standard compared to everyonelse,but I would much rather pay the extra and get an en suite.
Not that bad tbh. We share two toilets and one shower between 14 people. Toilets are clean 99% of the time as people clean up after themselves. Only once has it been dirty because someone threw up on one of them, however it was clean the next day.

Showers are okay, that's it. We've had one clogged up with hair and the other sprayed with piss. They're generally clean though.

You'll get used to sharing and it's only now and again you'll need to wait to use the toilet or shower.
Its okay. (: You hardly ever see the people you share with at the same time as you (although girls tend to leave the bathrooms in a nasty state at times) but the cleaner comes twice a week.

I'd say go for a shared bathroom because it's cheaper and won't cause you any hassle :smile:
Reply 430
Yeah it's generally fine. Some housemates are bad with cleaning up after themselves (leaving hair everywhere, one girl left a sanitary towel on the floor, ughh) and also failing to ever buy tp. In first year I caught a drunk guy pissing in the sink.
Reply 431
Blowjobs, lots of blowjobs
I share two bathrooms and two loos between eight. IMHO it's better than either en suite, or sharing with your family, because a cleaner comes in and does the cleaning.

Round here, an en suite is an extra £20 a week. Definitely not worth it, when I can feed myself on that much!
you find lots of black hairs all the time, its gross.
Reply 434
I share with 4 other people and it's just like sharing a bathroom at home. Only about 10 times have I had to wait to use the shower or whatever but it's never been at a time where I'm in a hurry.
Its not bad at all. Ive have had an en suite at home since about the age of 9 so was really worried about it, but i share a bathroom with 8 people both male and female its been okay. Theres only been one incident where someone just left their poo floating in there for about 3 days but our bathroom gets cleaned twice a week so it wasnt too much of an issue in the end

My only problem ive had sharing a bathroom is that its a bit of a pain to get up get dressed if you need to go to the loo at night, as my bathroom is on the second floor
(edited 12 years ago)
It's no biggie. I've saved more than £25 a week by sacrificing an ensuite. It's not worth that extra cost, especially if you've not worked/saved money for living costs.

I share 2 toilets and 1 shower with 9 people, which is good, because they get cleaned every day :smile:

Out kitchen on the other hand is what i have more complaints about, we share it with over 20 people potentially, which isn't a problem until you're trying to use the hob and there's dirty dishes everywhere...

But sharing a bathroom is no problem at all, in fact i think it makes life more sociable in halls :smile:
In first year, we shared 2 showers and 2 toilets with 4 other girls. Some fella peed in one of the showers but apart from that, it was grand. There was hardly ever queues either, even when the other girls used the mirror in one of the cubicles for putting on makeup while getting ready for nights out.

I went for an ensuite in final year though. I loved the handiness of it, but I didn't really like the flat as much so it wasn't really worth the extra money, imo. :/
Reply 438
its fine if theres girls..
Not as bad as I thought it would be to be honest. Apart from when you go to use it and someone's just had a dump, then it's pretty smelly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending