The Student Room Group

If You Had To Pick Between Imperial, Warwick And Ucl To Read Maths,what Would It Be?

I'm aware that I have started other threads but I need to start afresh :smile:

Currently I reckon my top choice is Warwick. Then insurance Imperial. I have a few worries which you may support or contradict :smile:

1. People say that Imperial or UCL, being based in London, has better career and graduate prospects. True or False?
2. I'm scared of getting my ass worked off in Imperial. I understand that the course in Warwick also demands a lot of work, but it seems like students are slave-driven in Imperial. T or F?
3. UCL - some say that the course is easier. I'm not too concerned about this as I'm not that serious to study Maths even further or even enter a career concerning maths - as long as i've got a degree in Mathematics, i'm happy. So, would it be 'easier' to get a first from here?
4. I need extracurricular activities. I dance, want to be in musicals, play piano, etc. What are your thoughts about this, where would be 'best suited'?
5. Is having an en suite bathroom really that much more amazing :P Especially as a girl?
6. Getting around London. Is it a pain for UCL students having to go here and there as the lecture halls are spread out? Is it a pain for Imperial people to get to tube stations, I heard it's a little further away from the imp. building...
7. I don't want to party every night. Maybe once a week. But it's definitely not a priority. But I'm concerned with Warwick perhaps limiting me from experiencing 'life' and being too sheltered...as it is, I'm a spoiled little brat so i wanna get out there and rough it out a bit and 'live life' or else I'll always be dependent on others :P Or does warwick still offer you the growing experience :P
8. IMP + WARWICK > UCL. true or false. Would anyone choose UCL? he only reason I'm considering it is because it's 'easier work' and in London.

Ok I think that's it. HEEEEELLLLPPPP :biggrin:

SORRY TO ADD!!
9: Do you think the fact that the UCL's maths dept is less well funded compared to W and I that it makes a big difference? I mean, mathematicians....we just need pen and paper, right? :P

Scroll to see replies

Imperial for maths & Sciences
Imperial coz its more popular
warwick-firm (2nd in country)
imperial -insurance (cos its just sexy for maths)
Reply 4
1) F
2) Nah
3) Probably, competition between students less intense
4)Anywhere really, maybe Warwick more student focused
5) It really depends, it is not essential. Queues aren't that bad actually. You learn to live without your own toilet
6) Transport in London is really annoying, costs a lot. If you can avoid it, do it.. The tube sucks
7) London is rougher, but, since you said you are spoiled, with $$ in London you will become even lazier.
8) True
Reply 5
infernalcradle
warwick-firm (2nd in country)
imperial -insurance (cos its just sexy for maths)

And why is it so sexual? :smile:
Reply 6
1. No.
2. Probably will be just as tough at all.
3. Doubt it.
4. Probably Warwick. But you'll find opportunities at all.
5. Uni accommodation is only one year. I'm not a girl.
6. I don't hear it's a pain for people.
7. It won't.
8. In what way? Socially?
Career prospects will be similar across all three.
Reply 8
Kinkei
And why is it so sexual? :smile:

I'm pretty sure that the ratio of male to female at Imperial is one of the highest in the country. Not that that is relevant to you, you'd be somewhat in the minority at Imperial as a female :p:.
Reply 9
I'd pick Imperial IMO

But if it's true that UCL's course is easier, I'd rather get a 1st than a 2.1 (assuming it makes that much of a difference)
Warwick. Largely because I hate London, but also because it's the best for maths.
Reply 11
TerryTerry
1. No.
2. Probably will be just as tough at all.
3. Doubt it.
4. Probably Warwick. But you'll find opportunities at all.
5. Uni accommodation is only one year. I'm not a girl.
6. I don't hear it's a pain for people.
7. It won't.
8. In what way? Socially?

For 8., it's generally speaking. What would you think would be more suited for me, just from my post? :P
Reply 12
imperial
Warwick, isn't that supposed to be really good for maths? I thought Imperial was just good for science.
Reply 14
Maths is regarded as Warwick's flagship course really, the one that everyone knows it's of Oxbridge standard for.

Although Imperial has a better reputation overall in the other sciences, Maths is not its highest ranked subject (although it is still broadly regarded as about the same as Warwick for Maths, or just slightly lower than Warwick on account of entrance requirements). How much do you want to study at a university where it's 2:1, male:female and where there are no arts students, just science boffins?

Most important thing- visit those places (and as many others as you can to compare) to see if you like the vibe.
Reply 15
Kinkei
For 8., it's generally speaking. What would you think would be more suited for me, just from my post? :P

You want me to look into my crystal ball, don't you? :yes:

I think probably Warwick, then UCL, then Imperial.

Because you're going to do maths at a good uni; you're going to work in London at some point. There's no rush to do it now. Warwick is very studenty. Imperial won't get you out of your shell - from my experience, it's mostly nerdy work obsessed guys and I know quite a few people who have dropped out. All my friends who graduated from UCL give it rave reviews.
I'd go for Imperial because of the name to be honest, although the other two are obviously very highly regarded, Imperial would impress me more if I were an employer.
Reply 17
I'd pick Warwick. I would be concerned about putting imperial as insurance (A*A* in maths is easier then As in all modules imo) and for that reason i'd pick UCL or somewhere else (Maybe not UCL, if you haven't got an A* or are on for one already.)

Plus most people say warwick is 2nd/3rd in the country.
Reply 18
jj193
I'd pick Warwick. I would be concerned about putting imperial as insurance (A*A* in maths is easier then As in all modules imo) and for that reason i'd pick UCL or somewhere else (Maybe not UCL, if you haven't got an A* or are on for one already.)

Plus most people say warwick is 2nd/3rd in the country.

Yeah that was another reason; I've already secured the A* in Maths A level....but Fp2 and 3 are worrying me a little bit, if i just mess that up, it means that I immediately lose my insurance choice....
I'd go for Imperial, my friend goes there, and he looove it (science), where as my friend who studies at UCL really doesn't like it that much (film). It could be the subjects they've picked, but still. :smile:

Latest