The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i dont think there should be a death sentance, suffering in prison is far worse. When you die everythings over, and you wont feel bad anymore. Suffering in jail with guilt is far worse.
Reply 2
Nobody in this world has the right to decide about the life of a person.
It´s a crime, no justification is possible, we can separate the criminals from the comunity, sending them to the prison, but nothing else.
CrzySxyCool
i dont think there should be a death sentance, suffering in prison is far worse. When you die everythings over, and you wont feel bad anymore. Suffering in jail with guilt is far worse.

I agree actually. Nobody knows what death feels like for certain. It could be good, could be bad.

But we know that prisons are a bad place to be and that's what we want to give our murderers.
and people can get it wrong, besides how are you any more morally correct if you say murder is wrong and then murder the offender
Reply 5
As one who believes that when you die that is it, I would see that as an easy way out. I would rather ie than face a life in prison.
Reply 6
CrzySxyCool

thats if they feel guilty!!
Reply 7
CrzySxyCool

Prison should not be about torture (ie 'making you suffer'). The sole aim of prison should be to deprive criminals of their freedom of movement.

Any other deprivation of fundamental rights is unacceptable.
Reply 8
zizero
Prison should not be about torture (ie 'making you suffer'). The sole aim of prison should be to deprive criminals of their freedom of movement.

The victims' deprivation of fundamental rights is also unacceptable. Where someone chooses to violate another persons beyond repair this should erode their such rights.
If I was in global government I'd make sure that child murderers etc. suffering under torturous conditions for the rest of their natural life. While this is not morally or ethically correct and would never happen in society, it would make the victim's family feel that some sort of justice has been done (as opposed to state of the art "prisons") and act as SOME sort of deterrent for such heinous crimes.
zizero

im not talking about torture. I suppose i didnt think about the fact that they might not feel guilty. But as someone who believes in life after death i think prison is the only way. If someone murders someone isnt it exactly the same if you murder them for justice?i think it is anway.
Reply 10
timeofyourlife
The victims' deprivation of fundamental rights is also unacceptable. Where someone chooses to violate another persons beyond repair this should erode their such rights.
If I was in global government I'd make sure that child murderers etc. suffering under torturous conditions for the rest of their natural life. While this is not morally or ethically correct and would never happen in society, it would make the victim's family feel that some sort of justice has been done (as opposed to state of the art "prisons") and act as SOME sort of deterrent for such heinous crimes.

When we talk about 'human rights' or 'fundamental rights', we talk about rights that are inextricably linked to the human condition. These are rights you have just by being a human being. You can't lose something you have for what you are. You can only lose things you have for what you do.

If you think child murderers should be tortured for the rest of their lives, you are denying human rights. You are saying that the fact that you're human does not entitle you to a certain dignity. You are saying that dignity has to be earned by a certain behaviour.

I do not share that view. What are you trying to reach anyway? Do you think such harsh punishment will stop child murderers? Certainly not, most of them act on impulse and harsher punishment won't make much to detract them. Do you think torture is justified, because victims have to avenged? Vengeance is a human instinct, because it is a feeling that helps to eliminate dangerous elements of society and hence prevent further crimes. Vengeance is not a virtue in itself, it is only justified by its function of preventing crime. By behaving like a barbarian towards child murderers you are only cultivating vengeance for its own sake. That's wrong.
what if you kill someone accidently with violence(well angery at the time but regreted it)should you go to prison?
Reply 12
Lord Huntroyde
As one who believes that when you die that is it, I would see that as an easy way out. I would rather ie than face a life in prison.

plus death sentence inmates in america have approx. 11 million spent on them because of the appeals process......
i know its a sad quote to use but 2 wrongs dont make a right. If someone is a murderer why should they get the death sentance.
Reply 14
zizero
I do not share that view. What are you trying to reach anyway? Do you think such harsh punishment will stop child murderers?

I'm not a big fan in the concept of human rights in the case of the most serious of crimes. You have your views and I have mine. Whilst I appreciate that harsh punishment will not stop children from being murdered, I think that bad prison conditions / death penalities should not be dismissed just because of this violation of basic rights. How do we protect the children's rights when they are no longer alive?
Reply 15
CrzySxyCool
what if you kill someone accidently with violence(well angery at the time but regreted it)should you go to prison?

Yes, but obviously not on the scale of first degree murder.
Reply 16
timeofyourlife
I'm not a big fan in the concept of human rights in the case of the most serious of crimes. You have your views and I have mine. Whilst I appreciate that harsh punishment will not stop children from being murdered, I think that bad prison conditions / death penalities should not be dismissed just because of this violation of basic rights. How do we protect the children's rights when they are no longer alive?

Human rights are so called because each and every human is entitled to them. The idea that human rights are somehow dispensable, that we promote them by denying them to those who have violated those of others, is as ridiculous as it is revolting. Britain said goodbye to that piece of barbarism a while ago and may it stay this way forever.
Reply 17
lala
Human rights are so called because each and every human is entitled to them. The idea that human rights are somehow dispensable, that we promote them by denying them to those who have violated those of others, is as ridiculous as it is revolting. Britain said goodbye to that piece of barbarism a while ago and may it stay this way forever.

i dont think that torture or death is the way......especailly death NOT because it violates human rights but because it simply costs to much! eleven million dollars is money that can spent wisely on something like after school programs instead of the appeals process....it is simply comman sense!
Reply 18
lala

Well said! *claps*
Reply 19
I'm so glad to see that most people here understand that nobody is in the position to be taking lives. It always unsettles me when you ask this question on a US messageboard, and the responses are usually around 60% in favour.

Latest

Trending

Trending